B60R weird remote issue

mattau

B60R weird remote issue
« on: 8 Oct 2010, 04:45 am »
I just bought a B60R (dated from 1997) and for some reason, the remote, even without touching, will by itself raise the volume to the highest level.  None of the buttons on the remote seems to work.  If I remove the battery from the remote, the unit function as normal and the volume doesn't change.  Once I put the battery in to the remote, the volume on the unit raises by itself without touching the volume knob or the remote control.  What's the problem?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: B60R weird remote issue
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2010, 04:58 am »
Clearly the remote volume 'up' button is stuck inside the remote in the on position. So either the actual inner part of the button is jammed, or the internal wiring is damaged.
Try wiggling the volume up button.
? IS the button a rubber pad with small contacts underneath?
Most non all metal remotes use the same sort of rubber sheet with moulded in buttons that press on very small (cheap) switches molded into a circuit board.
If you open up the body of the remote (split the case) the pad can be taken off the button circuit board.
If all else fails you can cut out the vol up button rubber and fiddle with the switch (this next to toss in trash effort, so it's not the best choice)
If the vol up switch is physically broken, you might be able to cut the circuit board line to that switch. Then at least the rest of the remote would work.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:06 am »
Bryston has a 30 year warranty. Since the remotes usually are sold separately I expect the remote also to have 30 years warranty. I'd call James first before taking the thing apart and messing it up.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:47 am »
Bryston has a 30 year warranty. Since the remotes usually are sold separately I expect the remote also to have 30 years warranty.

"Bryston analog audio products are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for twenty (20) years from the original date of manufacture. The warranty includes parts and labour.

Bryston Digital products and cables are warranted for five years from the original date of manufacture. The warranty includes parts and labour."

Steve

mattau

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:26 pm »
Well I played with the remote a bit more by trying different button combinations (well there are only three there) and now the remote doesn't work anymore.  The volume no longer goes up on its own either.  Is it possible that the remote is experiencing interferrence?  There is nothing else in the room though.  Strange.  Anyway to "reset" the remote?  And for those who have experienced problems in the past, can you just send in the remote for repair or do you have to send in the amp as well?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2010, 02:23 pm »
Well I played with the remote a bit more by trying different button combinations (well there are only three there) and now the remote doesn't work anymore.  The volume no longer goes up on its own either.  Is it possible that the remote is experiencing interferrence?  There is nothing else in the room though.  Strange.  Anyway to "reset" the remote?  And for those who have experienced problems in the past, can you just send in the remote for repair or do you have to send in the amp as well?

Hi mattau,

Please email Mike Pickett at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

mattau

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2010, 05:38 pm »
Hi mattau,

Please email Mike Pickett at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thank you James, I have sent an email to Mike a couple hours ago.  I will wait to see what he has to say.  Hopefully I don't have to send the amp in as I am just starting to enjoy it.  What a treat it is. 

mattau

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:09 pm »
By the way, is it possible to use a Harmony remote to control my B60R in the mean time?  I added the B60R to my Harmony but it is not responding to the Harmony remote.  Is there special code?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:12 pm »
I use a harmony with mine.  It didn't work through Hamony's software.  I had to point the B60's remote at the Harmony and press some buttons. 

mattau

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:28 pm »
I use a harmony with mine.  It didn't work through Hamony's software.  I had to point the B60's remote at the Harmony and press some buttons.

I guess that means my remote has to be working first (assuming my problem is the remote, and not the amp).  I am still waiting for a response from Bryston (email went out last Friday morning) so hopefully I hear back soon.