What is your latest acquisition?

Napalm

Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #80 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:23 pm »
If your music needs 'eq' help like this it's called "Car Tunes"  :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I have oodles of music like this that I truly enjoy...I just don't play it on the main system because it sounds horrible. But I'll never part with it ( I think I'll listen to some AC/DC on the iMac now :D)

I'd prefer to be able to return them s***ers for a refund. Unfortunately here in Canada you're stuck with them, no refund on movies, music and games. Booooooo!!!!!!

Nap. :thumbdown:

KeithA

« Reply #81 on: 23 Jun 2010, 08:56 am »
I'd prefer to be able to return them s***ers for a refund. Unfortunately here in Canada you're stuck with them, no refund on movies, music and games. Booooooo!!!!!!

Nap. :thumbdown:

Nap, you're missing the point . We are talking music that may have been bought over 20 years ago and is a sub-par recording (at least on any high-end stereo)......and there is plenty of it out there and I'm sure many people has collected much of it over the years (I know I have more than a few).

Besides..it's music that people like so why return it. For example, hard rock/metal from the 80's (or any music from the 80s for that matter) usually sounds less than stellar on a good system. However, there is certain music from that era that I love and still listen to a fair bit. It's just that listening to that music on the computer (through a decent set of computer speakers) or in the car makes it more enjoyable (or is that makes the sound quality more tolerable :wink:)

I will agree with you that buying a 'new' CD today that is badly recorded makes one feel 'short-changed'. I bought one a few weeks back myself. However, these days I find that the exception rather than the norm for the types of music I buy these days (not much Ozzy-type music bought recently :wink:)

Keith

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #82 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:40 am »
If your music needs 'eq' help like this it's called "Car Tunes"  :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I have oodles of music like this that I truly enjoy...I just don't play it on the main system because it sounds horrible. But I'll never part with it ( I think I'll listen to some AC/DC on the iMac now :D)

Keith

I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for a transparent analog eq? Especially from Bryston. I bet many audiophiles would snap a product like this up.

vegasdave

« Reply #83 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:42 am »
Nap, you're missing the point . We are talking music that may have been bought over 20 years ago and is a sub-par recording (at least on any high-end stereo)......and there is plenty of it out there and I'm sure many people has collected much of it over the years (I know I have more than a few).

Besides..it's music that people like so why return it. For example, hard rock/metal from the 80's (or any music from the 80s for that matter) usually sounds less than stellar on a good system. However, there is certain music from that era that I love and still listen to a fair bit. It's just that listening to that music on the computer (through a decent set of computer speakers) or in the car makes it more enjoyable (or is that makes the sound quality more tolerable :wink:)

I will agree with you that buying a 'new' CD today that is badly recorded makes one feel 'short-changed'. I bought one a few weeks back myself. However, these days I find that the exception rather than the norm for the types of music I buy these days (not much Ozzy-type music bought recently :wink:)

Keith

I dunno, the 80s hard rock and metal (and other 80s music) sounds pretty good on my system. But, my system and hearing is different from yours, obviously. And I listen to most of that on vinyl anyway. I find that most 80s music (especially hard rock and metal) doesn't sound so hot on cd.  8)

1oldguy

« Reply #84 on: 23 Jun 2010, 01:23 pm »
I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for a transparent analog eq? Especially from Bryston. I bet many audiophiles would snap a product like this up.

I'd be pretty keen on that myself.

Napalm

« Reply #85 on: 23 Jun 2010, 01:41 pm »
I'd be pretty keen on that myself.

You may also consider inserting this in front of your BDA-1:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

It costs about the same as a BR2 remote.

Nap.  :eyebrows:

Napalm

« Reply #86 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:26 pm »
New in my set: the Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Only one word: Awesome.

Time to open these in side-by-side windows and compare:

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/marantz_reference_sa-ki-pearl_sacdcd_player/index6.html

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/bryston_bcd-1_cd_player/index4.html

I can see some advantages to the Marantz:

1) It has a "Xyron" tray (although it's not apparent if it was cryo treated or not)
2) It plays SACDs

Nap.  :wink:

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
« Reply #87 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:01 am »
Monitor Audio RS-6 and finished my Pass Labs Pre-amp
Amazing sound-stage combination.

Construct

« Reply #88 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:03 am »
VMPS new larger sub in light oak with 1000w class a/b amp.

betamax

« Reply #89 on: 14 Jul 2010, 11:04 am »
It's why I'm here....

Napalm

« Reply #90 on: 14 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm »

VOLKS

« Reply #91 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:59 pm »
It's why I'm here....

Congratz!.......the B100 is a beauty.

KeithA

« Reply #92 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:43 am »
I've been toying with getting a B60 for my living room for a couple of years now. However, couldn't convince myself to spend the $$ on my living room system. Almost bought a used B60 last week...however, in the end went with this  :o

I love it...neat little 'all in' package  :wink:

betamax

« Reply #93 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:52 am »
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the new amp. As soon as I post this, I'm going to go fire it up....

vegasdave

« Reply #94 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:00 am »
Welcome to the forum, beta.

KeithA

« Reply #95 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:03 am »
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the new amp. As soon as I post this, I'm going to go fire it up....

betamax...I believe your B60 is one of the ones I entertained buying  :)

Keith

VOLKS

« Reply #96 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:08 am »

ACOUSTIC ZEN ABSOLUTE SHOTGUN-6FT PAIR

vegasdave

« Reply #97 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:09 am »

Nice.

servingko

« Reply #98 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:50 pm »
I did finally act on the thought to put together a simple 2 channel system for the living room and just purchased a B60RSST.  It's actually the 4th B60R I have owned, having purchased one of the very first ones in the late 90's.  The B60 is one of my favorite Bryston pieces, and I have owned or currently own, pretty much everything Bryston has made since 1995 except the 14B, the 28B, and the BDA-1 - which is my next purchase since I just can't remove the BCD from my primary system.

vegasdave

« Reply #99 on: 16 Jul 2010, 08:25 pm »
I did finally act on the thought to put together a simple 2 channel system for the living room and just purchased a B60RSST.  It's actually the 4th B60R I have owned, having purchased one of the very first ones in the late 90's.  The B60 is one of my favorite Bryston pieces, and I have owned or currently own, pretty much everything Bryston has made since 1995 except the 14B, the 28B, and the BDA-1 - which is my next purchase since I just can't remove the BCD from my primary system.

Very cool. Which amps are in your "big rig"?