Bryston 4B ST left channel blew just now! was: back after 5 years!

marcosax

Hi everyone,
5 years after my last post (https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136202.msg1447909#msg1447909 ) I'm back,
looking for info, as my Bryston 4B ST, after years of good work, is showing the same problem: overheating of the left heat sink.

I found out I couldn't perform a forum search, so here I am introducing myself.

My system, from the old core, comprising:
Denon DCD 2010AE (to which an Airport Express is optically connected to feed the liquid stream from Itunes library)
Trichord Research Genesis CD player
Bryston BP 20
Bryston ST 4B
Dynaudio Focus 220

has grown with the addition of ROON (Rock) running on a NUC 7i in a fanless AKASA case with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red,
upgraded two days ago with a brand new Bryston BDA-3, which I adore!

The only 'problem' with it is that playing DSD there's no way to use volume control, which has to be set to 100 always, and this makes unpractical listening to tracks mixed in res. (DSD and PCM).
Using Device Volume might work, but be careful  to keep volume to 100 when playing DSD, otherwise a loud WHITE NOISE covers all the music!

Back to searching this fine forum ... 

« Last Edit: 12 May 2020, 10:54 pm by marcosax »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: back after 5 years!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2020, 10:05 pm »
Welcome Marco I will move ths topic to the Bryston Circle.

Phil A

Welcome!

marcosax

Thank you FullRangeMan,
due to what just happened, I am editing my own post instead of opening a new one, hope this is accepted...

While I was browsing this forum, I had all my system on, but with no music, kind of warming it up to a late-night listening session,
when I heard a noise and, all worried, run to check to find the Bryston ST 4B (man. date 1997) left channel was very hot.
Turned the amp off and waited it cooled off. Tried on again, left LED I think it turned red, then off.

Tried playing some music, loud and static noise came out of speakers. Turned off again in horror.
After a while tried again, now music is coming from the right channel only. Phew..!

The overheating problem happened a few years ago but never happened the LED had turned red, nor the channel stopped working.
At the time I took it to Bryston service in Milan and in a few days they fixed it, by adjusting the bias.

Never happened again for 5 years, then noticed happening the other day.
Worried, I tried by inverting the unbalanced connecting pre to the power amp, and, after few attempts, by magic,
it was back to normal, playing at normal temperature (quite warm) leaving me feeling like I almost dreamt the whole thing.

Now, this. The left LED is always off and channel mute. I tried leaving the unit unplugged, to no avail.
I am very distressed. In normal times, I would call and take it to service in Milan again.
But with the ongoing COVID-19  lockdown and all (we're in different regions), I'm left with no music,
especially now, as the BDA-3 has just arrived and I was longing to fully enjoy my revamped system...

Is anyone here able to tell me if my Bryston 4B-ST power amp is compromised or can be easily repaired?
Could this a job a good technician could fix, or do I necessarily need to take it to Bryston? (God knows when this will be possible)
Is this something that happened already to someone?
Could it just be the fuse?

Any help will be much appreciated

Hi everyone,
5 years after my last post (https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136202.msg1447909#msg1447909 ) I'm back,
looking for info, as my Bryston 4B ST, after years of good work, is showing the same problem: overheating of the left heat sink.

I found out I couldn't perform a forum search, so here I am introducing myself.

My system, from the old core, comprising:
Denon DCD 2010AE (to which an Airport Express is optically connected to feed the liquid stream from Itunes library)
Trichord Research Genesis CD player
Bryston BP 20
Bryston ST 4B
Dynaudio Focus 220

has grown with the addition of ROON (Rock) running on a NUC 7i in a fanless AKASA case with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red,
upgraded two days ago with a brand new Bryston BDA-3, which I adore!

The only 'problem' with it is that playing DSD there's no way to use volume control, which has to be set to 100 always, and this makes unpractical listening to tracks mixed in res. (DSD and PCM).
Using Device Volume might work, but be careful  to keep volume to 100 when playing DSD, otherwise a loud WHITE NOISE covers all the music!

Back to searching this fine forum ...

Mag

When my 3B SST/2 overheats usually one of the channels will shut down first, after cooling down it comes back on.

I gather after shutting the amp off and turning it on again the channel is still out. If so I don't know.

If however channel comes On and then goes Out again, I would suggest that you are clipping the amp with Volume at 100%. And that is why your amp is shutting down.

There is this thing, output distortion, occurs when output levels are set too high. Sustained distortion like you're mentioning can cause amp to overheat. And it is reasonable that one channel will overheat before the other.

marcosax

fact is that now the left channel's LED is out and channel is shut off. Only the right channel's LED is lit and plays...

Anyhow, when all this happened, no music was playing, and volume was kept low.
No clipping or max volume.

I fear channel went into heat protection or shorted and blew fuse or something.

Writing now to Bryston and see what they suggest---

marcosax

a quick update;
as it has always been the case, Mike P from Bryston replied and reassured me that the 4B has a much longer life-expectancy and just needs a regular repair, so it is now going to get serviced at the authorized Bryston service.
I can't wait to have it back home, particularly as I very recently received a BDA-3 which I didn't have the time to enjoy!

I'll report back once I have the 4B home if anyone is interested ...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
 Yes please let us know . I have had a 4B ST for twenty years and no issues at all.. :thumb: