Has anyone built the amps into the cabinet on the H Frame Servo subs?

subsonic1050

The title pretty much says it all, but curious if anyone has built the amp into the cabinet for the H Frame servo subs instead of using the separate box? My thought is this: Mount the amp below the drivers on the back side of the cabinet with all the connections facing the rear. Then I'd mill cooling grooves into the side of the cabinet much like what is done in the separate boxes. This would obviously require raising the drivers up by the space needed for the amp, and there would be a cavity space left in from of the amp. I was thinking of walling that off and filling it with sand or kitty litter. If this description makes sense, has anyone done it or something similar? Any issues anyone is aware of that would be caused by this location for mounting, or by raising the drivers up by the 8 or 10" that would be needed (I don't have measurements because I don't have the amps in hand yet).

Thanks for the input!

Early B.

For many of us, mounting the amp that way makes the cabinet too high, especially if you want to set a pair of monitors on top of them. Placing the amps on the floor behind the speakers isn't a problem in search of a solution. Each amp consumes less than 1 square foot. If you're gonna raise the cabinet like that, you may as well build triples which would be far more beneficial. 

subsonic1050

Early B - this would already be for triples. I'll be pairing them with the NX-Treme's which I ordered and so the height of the subs will still be far shorter than the speakers.

Early B.

Also consider that audiophiles spend tons of money to isolate their amps and other components to reduce vibrations and improve the sound. Unless you're building the cabinets out of concrete, a plate amp underneath three 12" drivers capable of pumping out subsonic bass is gonna vibrate. You'll have to determine if the benefits outweigh the liabilities.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I’ve done it with triple 8s and with triple 12s. Works fine. I didn’t cut openings in the cabinet or fill the front chamber but you can

Norman Tracy

Pics of Michael's (mlundy57) subs with the built-in amps fabricated for one of his clients.

Prior to delivery I heard these at Michael's home and they did amazing things. Easily one of the top 5 bass systems I have ever heard.

subsonic1050

Mlundy and Norman Tracy - that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The only difference being I was going to try to mount the amp horizontally if the dimensions allowed. It looks like it might be tight, if it would even fit. No issues with cooling like that? Beautiful work Mike.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Mlundy and Norman Tracy - that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The only difference being I was going to try to mount the amp horizontally if the dimensions allowed. It looks like it might be tight, if it would even fit. No issues with cooling like that? Beautiful work Mike.

No cooling issues at all. The heat sink is on the outside just like with a sealed servo sub.

Glenng78

That picture makes me think………
Would there be any advantage / disadvantage to adding a sub to the bottom of that triple stack, effectively making a sealed sub with 3 OB subs stacked on top ?

russellberg

I did this too.  It makes for a nice compact package.  We walk in the area behind my sub so adding something else on the floor was a non-starter.  There are no heat issues at all, I have run it for hours at pretty high volumes and the fins on the heat sink are barely above room temperature. 

The outer mounting plate is 12 ½" high so you could conceivably turn it on its side and save you some height.
I have never heard anything like these, I am happy every time I turn my sound system on.  Ridiculously good sound.

ctviggen

Really nice work!  How tall did that end up being?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant

The triples with the amp are 60" tall without spikes/footers. I don't know about the height of doubles with an amp.

subsonic1050

Nice work Russellberg - this and what mlundy did are exactly what I'm thinking about. It's great to know that heat isn't an issue as well!

russellberg

Mine are 44" tall sitting flat on the floor, not feet or spikes.  I did a build log here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173562.0 if you are interested.  Im happy to answer any questions you may have.