SMc Audio (McCormack) GT-21 Signature Update

Chris Adams

SMc Audio (McCormack) GT-21 Signature Update
« on: 10 May 2021, 08:06 pm »
One amp I regretted selling many years ago was a McCormack DNA 1 that Steve had modified to Gold + status. I had purchased it from the original owner and had Steve modify a TLC-1 for me that I used with the DNA-1. Terrific combination, although, no remote. Didn't bother me at the time.

I got bit by the low output tube amp, high efficiency speaker bug, and decided to sell the McCormack amp and preamp. Before I did, I compared the 5 watt Decware single ended amp I had purchased with the DNA-1. You can imagine my surprise when the McCormack amp sounded nearly as sweet and spacious as the Decware. I mean really close. Well, I sold the DNA-1 and have been through many, many tube and SS amps since.

Fast forward to now. Having always regretted that sale, I contacted Steve and Patrick last December and commissioned a DNA-0.5 to be built for me. The new amp is a GT-21 and the only "old" parts are the top, bottom, back panel and heat sinks. All the boards, parts, wire, front panel, and paint are new. It is maxed out, so to speak including Steve's "Gravity Base". Steve has the transformer custom specked and built for him and it has more output than an original DNA-1 transformer. The amp does 120 per channel at 8 ohms, doubles into 4 ohms, almost doubles into 2 ohms,  and will play into 1 ohm.

How does it sound? Marvelous! Bass is tight and clean but not dry. String bass has a wonderful, woody fullness with no bloat. Bass drums punch with incredible impact and each one, depending on the recording, sounds different. Vocals sound like someone is singing in my room. Highs are sweet and extended. There is no trace of glare or grain. I am hearing more detail than ever before and the sound stage is as spacious as it is with my tube mono blocks, possibly better.

I am thrilled with my new amp. So thrilled, I just sent a McCormack RLD-1 to be upgraded to match my amp. Steve and Patrick are the real deal.

« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2021, 08:29 pm by Chris Adams »

Early B.

Re: SMc Audio GT-21 Signature
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2021, 10:09 pm »
I got bit by the low output tube amp, high efficiency speaker bug, and decided to sell the McCormack amp and preamp. Before I did, I compared the 5 watt Decware single ended amp I had purchased with the DNA-1. You can imagine my surprise when the McCormack amp sounded nearly as sweet and spacious as the Decware. I mean really close.

A lot of audiophiles have gotten caught up in the marketing hype by thinking that tube sound is magically different from solid state.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new amp. Appears very well built.

speshal

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2021, 10:18 pm »
Gratz!  I have some GT mono blocks from Steve, and my friend does too.  My friend is using them to drive MBL 101e and they smoked the McIntosh 501 he was using.

For many years, it's been a secret way to get world class performance for much more reasonable pricing.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2021, 12:53 am »
Congrats on your new McCormack  :thumb:  I had a DNA 1.0 modded to Gold + by Steve and Chris? a few years back. Really enjoyed that amp

Chris Adams

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2021, 02:41 am »
Thanks for the kind comments.:thumb: I am really enjoying my music with this amp in the system.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2021, 07:59 am »
Congrats on the new amp! It looks great and I'm sure it sounds fantastic. McCormack is the brand I lusted after back when I was broke and could only dream about such things. Glad to hear Steve is still in the business and putting smiles on people's faces.

Cheers and happy listening!

Dfromt

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2021, 04:52 am »
I had 3 dna.5 deluxe and  dna 1. Sold them all except 1 dna .5 when I bought a Pass X350. Didn't get a chance to send them to Steve as I was blown away by the Pass at the time. Would still love to get one of his new amps! They look awesome!

Chris Adams

Re: SMc Audio (McCormack) GT-21 Signature
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2021, 07:13 pm »
A quick update for those interested.

My amp went back to SMc Audio in September for the addition of an outboard "Power Block". The transformer came out of the amp and was installed in a new chassis. Connecting cables were made and wiring in the amp was upgraded and rerouted. A stock DNA .5 transformer was bolted into the amp chassis for ballast only.

I didn't think the sound could really get much better, wrong! Everything got better. Especially the smoothness from top to bottom and spatial details. I have never heard an SS amp retrieve so much spatial information and present it with such finesse. Percussion instruments hang in space as if someone is playing them. Female vocals are luscious with an "in the room" quality. However, when asked to, the dynamics and slam are there in abundance.

Thanks again to Steve and Pat for paying so much attention to detail and for their commitment to quality sound reproduction.

Big Red Machine

Re: SMc Audio (McCormack) GT-21 Signature
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2021, 07:22 pm »
Very cool. Like the idea and it sounds like it works!

Rocket

Re: SMc Audio (McCormack) GT-21 Signature Update
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2021, 01:38 pm »
Hi Chris,

Glad your liking the system. We've all been through upgraditis and later regretted selling a nice pice of equipment. Your system setup looks really nice.

Happy listening.

Cheers Rod

Chris Adams

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:49 pm »
@Rocket & Big Red Machine

Thanks. I think I have finally arrived at a system that is very satisfying. I always like to hear "what's around the corner", but I'm quite content for the very first time in many years.

BrandonB

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:30 pm »
@Rocket & Big Red Machine

Thanks. I think I have finally arrived at a system that is very satisfying. I always like to hear "what's around the corner", but I'm quite content for the very first time in many years.

Chris did you ever send in your RLD1 to SMc Audio?  If so what Mods did they do to it and how did it turn out?

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2023, 08:25 pm »
Chris did you upgrade the transformer before making it an external power supply?