SS 9.5 - Live in western NC - would love to hear

jdavis37

SS 9.5 - Live in western NC - would love to hear
« on: 9 May 2021, 01:47 pm »
Hi! My zip is 28739 and I am curious about the SS 9.5, and looking to see if there is anyone near me who has a pair they would be willing to show off for a few minutes (I am covid vaccinated). Getting an idea of how these new speakers handle voices, glare, if they have "meat on the bone" when someone like Boz Scaggs sings is important to me. I am NOT seeking hyper detail but rather a sense of fullness, and curious if the 9.5's lean more that direction. Thx! John

dB Cooper

Re: SS 9.5 - Live in western NC - would love to hear
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2021, 07:21 pm »
Not an owner but have heard these at fair length and my 'take' would be that they check off all those boxes very well. Especially glare; the SS series just don't. No substitute for a first hand audition, just my 2¢.

jdavis37

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2021, 12:29 am »
Not an owner but have heard these at fair length and my 'take' would be that they check off all those boxes very well. Especially glare; the SS series just don't. No substitute for a first hand audition, just my 2¢.

Thx dB.... hoping to have a chance to hear if it is possible. Lot of variables in all of this until you get the adopted speakers home! But hearing them somewhere at the very least provides some idea. Hoping to have that opportunity! Appreciate your feedback!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2021, 02:18 am »
Another thought, maybe obvious but... Jim Salk is renowned for his customer/prospective customer support. If you send him some info about the room ranging from a simple sketch  to a floor plan and/ or some photos, info on the rest of the system etc, and a followup call, he'll give you a pretty good idea as to whether he thinks they'll be a good fit. I can just tell you that, just as as a design, reading your 'wish list', I was like, "Yep... No prob... Check... You got it..." An audition is still the ultimate review though...

jdavis37

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2021, 01:22 pm »
Another thought, maybe obvious but... Jim Salk is renowned for his customer/prospective customer support. If you send him some info about the room ranging from a simple sketch  to a floor plan and/ or some photos, info on the rest of the system etc, and a followup call, he'll give you a pretty good idea as to whether he thinks they'll be a good fit. I can just tell you that, just as as a design, reading your 'wish list', I was like, "Yep... No prob... Check... You got it..." An audition is still the ultimate review though...

dB,

I actually smile at your name. As a child my Mom (who is now passed) used to talk about dB Cooper and it makes me think of her with a smile! I emailed Jim Friday or so but with the weekend being Mothers Day, etc am hopeful sometime this week he will have time to sort through it. I have CAD drawings to scale of my room ( were done for a different reason) and photos, so I can certainly share that with him. I do agree getting the speaker into a room size it was designed for is part of the equation.

I also know I am in a minority of sorts. In 2018 I bought a NOS DAC from SW1X and then did some minor upgrades to it in 2019. The goal for this was musicality versus resolution. It does add a lot of body to the music. I changed amp and preamp this past year going to Coda. They too added some nice changes. But once I take the volume moderately loud, and I don't mean The Who concert level mind you, things for me start to fall apart. The 400 Hz to say 900 Hz region starts to sound thin. I could be missing the true frequencies in that statement a bit as I am guestimating. The upper end will become very out front before this lower end tries to cath up and really forweard sound and I don't mesh well!

So I am not seeking absolute detail like hearing sweat dripping onto a mic stand, etc. I like hearing what is there but more like when you attend a concert where emotion and sometimes a little impact of air movement gets your attention and keeps you engaged!

Lastly, I do agree hearing speakers, even in another room with different equipment can be very helpful and thus this posting :)

whopnyc

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2021, 01:04 am »
jdavis37,

You ever get down towards Jacksonville, FL? I've got a setup not far from what you're looking for. Salk Encore but with the 9.5 midrange (look in the Available Now board on here, the black ones are mine), MHDT Balanced Pagoda Dac, Primaluna EVO 400 preamp and Ayre V-5xe (or Odyssey Kismet). You're welcome to come by.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2021, 01:47 am »
dB,

I actually smile at your name. As a child my Mom (who is now passed) used to talk about dB Cooper and it makes me think of her with a smile!

You might appreciate my old avatar then. Might go back to it sometime. dB seemed like a good pun so I went with it

jdavis37

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2021, 04:17 am »
jdavis37,

You ever get down towards Jacksonville, FL? I've got a setup not far from what you're looking for. Salk Encore but with the 9.5 midrange (look in the Available Now board on here, the black ones are mine), MHDT Balanced Pagoda Dac, Primaluna EVO 400 preamp and Ayre V-5xe (or Odyssey Kismet). You're welcome to come by.

I don't get down to Jacksonville these years but appreciate the offer. I did find your speakers. Look very nice and should sound similar to there 9.5s. I need to talk with Jim about the musical part of the equation (realizing that is a nebulous term but I seem to use it often). I believe I am detailed out! Which is why I am curious about the SS 9.5, to see if it is a lot smoother and less detailed focus so to speak.

Your collection of equipment is very nice as well! Sit back and play something from Boz Scaggs like "I just go" and tell me how full his voice sounds!! :) That wasn't  aliteral request by the way. Thx for the offer. It is appreciated!

jdavis37

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2021, 04:18 am »
You might appreciate my old avatar then. Might go back to it sometime. dB seemed like a good pun so I went with it

Definitely go back to this avatar. MUCH better for DB! With all that money paying for really nice Salk speakers will be a cakewalk!

JDoyle

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2021, 02:44 pm »
I too love that name and miss your old Avatar.

Speaking of worth it jdavis, if you can find a way, I would highly recommend the trip to Jim’s shop.

jdavis37

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2021, 03:27 pm »
I too love that name and miss your old Avatar.

Speaking of worth it jdavis, if you can find a way, I would highly recommend the trip to Jim’s shop.

Hey, we have no gas here at present time so traveling anywhere is a challenge! I would love to visit Jim's place though not sure I would be permitted to carry credit cards, check books (for those who remember what those things are) or cash with me!

CC

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2021, 01:51 am »
Hi John

I sent you a PM. I’m in western NC area code 28734 with a pair of Exotica 3’s and HT2’s that you are welcome to listen to. 

Chris