Ortofon Cadenza on 254GT

nathandonaldson

Ortofon Cadenza on 254GT
« on: 28 Apr 2021, 11:55 pm »
Kia ora all,

TLDR; I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Ortofon Cadenza carts on WT tables? Did they work well?

I'm new to Audio Circle but just about to embark on a journey with Well Tempered and this likes the place to come for great advice!

A bit of background, I currently have a Linn LP, Naim Armageddon, Project 9cc tonearm and ZU Audio DL-103 cart into Naim Stageline/Hi-Cap. This all runs into a set of Dutch & Dutch 8C active speakers via a MiniDSP SHD. As soon as the 8Cs are Roon Ready I will be going directly from the phonostage into the 8Cs.

I am putting together a completely new analog front end. The first step was to move from the Naim phonostage to a Lino C 2.0. This arrives Monday :-).

The Lino C is a current mode phonostage and works best with low internal impedance MC carts. Not the DL-103, which is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway.

So I am looking at which cart to replace it with.

The cart will go on the LP12 for now, but my wife would like to buy me a new turntable for my birthday in October and I am thinking that the 254GT would be good for me :-)

It is a bit difficult to demo carts but I talked to the Lino C guys and told them I was looking at Dynavector 20XL2 and Lyra Delos. The suggested the the Lyra would work better of the two but also said that many of their customers have success with Ortofon carts, in particular the Quintet Black and Cadenza carts.

After a bit of research I quite like the idea of trying the Cadenza Red or Blue.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them on WT tables? Did they work well?

Thanks!

Blackmore

Re: Ortofon Cadenza on 254GT
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:00 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle. Hope some of the Well Tempered owners chime in soon.

RPM123

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2021, 04:21 pm »
Welcome to AC! While I don't have any experience with the Ortofon carts, the arm that comes with the 254 GT is the LTD and is designed to work with many different cartridges. I don't see that there would be any problems, but you can always ask a dealer or Mike Pranka of Dynavector USA, the Well Tempered importer. I've been eyeing the 254 myself.

You are very fortunate to have a wife who understands and supports your hobby!

Kimiimacman

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2021, 11:32 am »
Hi and Welcome to the forum

I do have some input for you based on my experience both as a dealer (retired) and personal.

I too had an LP12/ Geddon but with athe Naim Aro. When I could no longer source Troikas I went to Ortofons. First the Kintrapunkt B then the Cadenza Bronze.

Then, like you I decided to move away from the Linn (29yrs) and bought a Well Tempered Versalex.

To my horror, the Cadenza (by that point a few years old) sounded terrible. Lots of EOSD and overly dull throughout. Now wether this was due to wear characteristics of being used on a shorter arm I don’t know, highly unlikely. I sold it to another Linn owner who was delighted using an Ittok.

For this reason alone I would make sure you get a demo if considering a Cadenza.

I can say that any Dynavector is a perfect match to the LTD arm, unsurprisingly as they are usually distributed by the same as WT. Moreover, the arm is SO good, that it will do justice to even the XV1t, I know, because that’s what I use; a cart that cost 1.5x the deck which is usually considered a no no; so lots of scope for future upgrade without loosing money on the deck.

Good luck and ATB

K

Edit: Just remembered. I still have a Kontrapunkt B and it still plays well the last time I had a play. Technically the major difference to the Bronze is the Replicant 100 diamond, it’s actually much more extreme than the Gyger believe it or not, maybe the arm geometry doesn’t match well.

Bobbywheat

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2021, 04:28 am »
Hi Nathandonaldson,

I was searching the internet trying to find information on the Lino C and I fell on this thread, as it just happens, I have an Amadeus GTA with Cadenza Black, unfortunately I’m 2 months late. Have you had success with your cartridge choice? How are you enjoying your Lino C?

Would be curious to know your experience.

Thanks