SET For My 78 La Scalas That's Affordable?

steelgitr

SET For My 78 La Scalas That's Affordable?
« on: 21 Apr 2021, 04:35 pm »
My budget is around $500 or so but could stretch a bit. Speakers are super efficient so I hope that means a lower cost good sounding amp could suffice?

thx

bob

belle harbor

Re: SET For My 78 La Scalas That's Affordable?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2021, 11:24 am »
If you post your question in the Talkin’ Tubes section of the Klipsch forum you will get excellent advice from guys, including amp designers and builders, with extensive experience in this area.  There are also thousands of posts you can review for recommendations.

Emil

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2021, 02:58 pm »
  Not much around for $500 new that would compliment your speaker. Alan Eaton, Decware used ???

charles

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2021, 03:23 pm »
Well, years ago the APPJ/Miniwatt 2.5 watt tube amp was a real giant killer and had a lot of commercial success.  Then they offered a few more versions.  Not sure if those are still around, but they were under $500 and 2.5 watts would be plenty with the La Scalas.  I have owned one since around 2009-10, and used in primarily in my TV system, though for the first couple years it was in my main rig.  Worked great with Hornshoppe Horns and also Tekton Lores.  After about 7 years of nearly daily use, it started periodically randomly powering down for 10-15 seconds at a time while in use.  So, not designed to last forever.  But at your price point, nothing will be.  Still a solid recommendation, especially with some upgraded tubes.

I also owned a pair of 1978 La Scalas from 2000-2006, so I know what that's all about. 

Bob, are your La Scala crossovers all-originals?  Or have they had any upgrades? 

steelgitr

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm »
Well, years ago the APPJ/Miniwatt 2.5 watt tube amp was a real giant killer and had a lot of commercial success.  Then they offered a few more versions.  Not sure if those are still around, but they were under $500 and 2.5 watts would be plenty with the La Scalas.  I have owned one since around 2009-10, and used in primarily in my TV system, though for the first couple years it was in my main rig.  Worked great with Hornshoppe Horns and also Tekton Lores.  After about 7 years of nearly daily use, it started periodically randomly powering down for 10-15 seconds at a time while in use.  So, not designed to last forever.  But at your price point, nothing will be.  Still a solid recommendation, especially with some upgraded tubes.

I also owned a pair of 1978 La Scalas from 2000-2006, so I know what that's all about. 

Bob, are your La Scala crossovers all-originals?  Or have they had any upgrades?

Yes, original AA network.

thx

bob

steelgitr

borism

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2021, 10:49 pm »
If DIY is an option then Bottlehead kits could be your answer. Their lowest powered SET kit the SEX (single ended experimenter kit) is about $500 and makes 2 w/ch. I built the 2A3 Stereomour SET generating 3.5 w/ch and love it but that is $1000-1500 depending on options.
I believe that with the high efficiency of your speakers either amplifier would do great.

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2021, 10:50 pm »
A good start, Bob. Do you already have a preamp? If so, it could also be worth bypassing the cheap volume pot on that amp at some point down the line. If you think the amp has promise.

steelgitr

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2021, 10:51 pm »
If you post your question in the Talkin’ Tubes section of the Klipsch forum you will get excellent advice from guys, including amp designers and builders, with extensive experience in this area.  There are also thousands of posts you can review for recommendations.

Could you point me to that forum?  Sorry, I searched and can't find it?

thx

bob

Tubefly

• Motorcycles, Music, and Trout

Tubefly

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2021, 11:09 pm »
Could you point me to that forum?  Sorry, I searched and can't find it?

thx

bob

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/109-talkin-tubes/

genjamon

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2021, 11:51 pm »
I don’t disagree that there are much better out there than the Tube Cube. But am glad you have a Tube Cube on the way for instantaneous satisfaction and to have a decent back up while you explore other options.

But I would recommend you also place some Crites crossover upgrades high on your priority list. Those ancient oil caps are not doing you any favors, and the La Scalas are so dynamic that crossover hash will hold back performance of any amp you use to power them.

Tubefly

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2021, 11:57 pm »
As the topic of crossovers keep appearing I'll add this link as a resource.

http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch

Best, Alan

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2021, 12:11 am »
Yeah, ALK is an option, but pricey. Crites is more of a budget update option - good quality components for low cost, and simple crossover design just like the originals. ALK is extreme slope engineering, so much more complex crossovers and thus higher cost. OP is shopping for <$500 amps, so I assume is not interested in high cost crossover updates.

Tubefly

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:01 am »
OP is shopping for <$500 amps, so I assume is not interested in high cost crossover updates.

Great point

steelgitr

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2021, 02:38 am »
I don’t disagree that there are much better out there than the Tube Cube. But am glad you have a Tube Cube on the way for instantaneous satisfaction and to have a decent back up while you explore other options.

But I would recommend you also place some Crites crossover upgrades high on your priority list. Those ancient oil caps are not doing you any favors, and the La Scalas are so dynamic that crossover hash will hold back performance of any amp you use to power them.

I got the TubeCube today. Can't try it with the La Scalas until Saturday. I have a pair of these M&K 750 at home just to break in the amp. Sounds surprisingly good with the stock tube albeit a bit grainy.  I have a whole bunch Old 12ax7 and 12AT7's to play with and a matched pair of groove tube EL84's (Grade 6).

Should I use the 4 ohm speaker output since these are 4 ohm speakers?

thx

bob

brl0301

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2021, 12:23 am »
i see im a little late to the party but if you are interested/capable of doing the soldering yourself, the spudkit amp sounds way better than it should for the price it sells. for. I built one a few months ago and have been running it on my cornscalas and it sounds great. I think the kit is around 400 bux with tubes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2021, 03:00 am »
i see im a little late to the party but if you are interested/capable of doing the soldering yourself, the spudkit amp sounds way better than it should for the price it sells. for. I built one a few months ago and have been running it on my cornscalas and it sounds great. I think the kit is around 400 bux with tubes.
https://spudkit.com/

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2021, 03:12 pm »
If the OP hadn't specified SET I would have recommended this, an SEP that punches far above the price point imo. The Musical Paradise MP-301. $435 with loads of tube options.

https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54