Spirit II RCA Phono Cables

Bones13

Spirit II RCA Phono Cables
« on: 15 Apr 2021, 12:15 am »
 My system Technics 1200G > K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp > Bricasti M12 Pre.

I was using another brand of phono cable successfully for several years, not generic, but not expensive. A little while back, I switched tubes in my phono amp, and proceeded to try them. Noticeable hum... not when the phono amp was out of the circuit. Tubes? I changed back to the original tubes, sounded the same. I had hum issues with the other brand’s RCA Interconnects running from Pre to Amp (6 meter long). I swapped back in my Bluejeans Cables Coax RCA cables, and greatly lessened that hum.

So, I ordered a set of TWL Spirit II phono cables, 1 meter, and installed them. Nicely made, all three parts are separate, and beautiful. Hum is gone, sounds great.

Next is a decreased sound in the right channel, which is either tubes, or TT setup, or a worn cartridge. I’ll be playing with those this weekend. When I play the same music via the digital system, the R/L balance is good.

I will replace the XLR interconnects between phono and pre with Spirit II when funds allow.

When I get whatever final amp I choose, I’ll try for long XLRs too. The DIY amps I use now are all SE, and I’m sure that true balanced cables will improve the long distance run.

Thank you TWL! I will continue to work towards a complete loom.

Triode Pete

Re: Spirit II RCA Phono Cables
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2021, 09:22 pm »
My system Technics 1200G > K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp > Bricasti M12 Pre.

I was using another brand of phono cable successfully for several years, not generic, but not expensive. A little while back, I switched tubes in my phono amp, and proceeded to try them. Noticeable hum... not when the phono amp was out of the circuit. Tubes? I changed back to the original tubes, sounded the same. I had hum issues with the other brand’s RCA Interconnects running from Pre to Amp (6 meter long). I swapped back in my Bluejeans Cables Coax RCA cables, and greatly lessened that hum.

So, I ordered a set of TWL Spirit II phono cables, 1 meter, and installed them. Nicely made, all three parts are separate, and beautiful. Hum is gone, sounds great.

Next is a decreased sound in the right channel, which is either tubes, or TT setup, or a worn cartridge. I’ll be playing with those this weekend. When I play the same music via the digital system, the R/L balance is good.

I will replace the XLR interconnects between phono and pre with Spirit II when funds allow.

When I get whatever final amp I choose, I’ll try for long XLRs too. The DIY amps I use now are all SE, and I’m sure that true balanced cables will improve the long distance run.

Thank you TWL! I will continue to work towards a complete loom.

Thank you for your kind accolades, Michael!

Cheers,
Pete

Bones13

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2021, 09:11 pm »
Tracked down my channel imbalance. I switched the XLR interconnect cables going into the Pre, to see if the problem changed to the reverse. This would isolate the issue to the Phono Pre. Swapping the cables solved the problem, which turned out to be poor connection. These are generic “pro” cables, with Mogami wiring.

So, of course, new TWL XLR interconnect cables ordered!

shakey

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2021, 06:06 pm »
I replaced a Silver Audio Silver Breeze phono cable with the Spirit II phono and couldn't be happier.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2021, 08:10 pm »
Again and again no surprise excellent is excellent Pete.

charles