What are your speaker cables?

mrotino332

Re: What are your speaker cables?
« Reply #80 on: 23 Apr 2021, 12:27 pm »
I've settled on the Silversmith Fideliums as the best I've tried with my X5s.  Previously I used the all silver Ridge Street Poiema speaker cables which have no connector, the speaker cable itself is the connector.  This is the same for the Fideliums as they just have a notch at the end of the cable.  I also tried the Ven Haus Chela litz speaker cable without any connectors bare wire.  My preference is Fideliums first, followed closely by the Poiemas then the Ven Haus.  All three are excellent however the Fideliums just have that extra detail, speed, resolution and trailing of musical sounds to the back of the stage and just sound absolutely neutral, no coloration whatsoever.
Just my opinion of course and I haven't tried other speaker cables. 

Audiophile58

« Reply #81 on: 4 May 2021, 04:13 pm »
Wire world Eclipse are better then most in a lot f ways ,any type of stranded in a minus to start with
For all strands micro arc that is a dac which = more distortions  Wireworld use individual wires different gauges
In the lowest dielectric out there and the Purest OCC Copper = 7-9s pure none better .
And  very important connections ,pure Copper silver plated , and spades or bananas can be changed by their screw on connectors and they have the Eclipse Copper then 3 grades higher up to the Platinum line ,
Vs the competition very accurate and clear ,excellent value perr $$ ratio. I have tried many  ,I am speaking through experience ,check them out before making and decisions.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #82 on: 4 May 2021, 04:56 pm »
Wire world Eclipse are better then most in a lot f ways ,

which level of eclipse do you use?  i see at least platinum, silver, gold and mini.  as well as level 8 and 7.  thanks

Flip49er

« Reply #83 on: 4 May 2021, 06:45 pm »
Just got through the burn in process on a pair of Audio Sensibility Signature cables. Very open and detailed. All copper, so no strident "silverness" in these and I enjoy them very much.

Mr. Big

« Reply #84 on: 11 May 2021, 05:15 pm »
I just purchased some AQ William Tell Zero speaker cables and my jaw hit the floor on the positive impact driving the M3 Sapphires. A match made in heaven and literally transform the sound production from the M3's, now I have to say they are fully better than my Quad speakers, same great midrange, detail is natural also but now with full dynamics and bass to die for. The noise floor is lower, and the imaging is so natural, color and the timber of brass are dead-on, and piano is reproduced if well-recorded like it is in your room, neither pushed forward into the room or back behind the speakers, it is just there in the room. Vocals are also superb just played Ricky Lee Jones, Pop, Pop recording, and it's never as it sounded so good, like you in the studio right in your room, I was always fair on this recording, but no longer it is superb now. The M3's are truth-tellers, they add little and they will give you back what you feed it. So don't skimp.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 02:46 pm by Mr. Big »

Rosswell105

« Reply #85 on: 13 May 2021, 02:36 am »
I have tried my old Kimber 8tc and Audioquest Gibraltar on M5 and both sounded very good. I built speaker cables using Mogami w3104 for fun but bass on mogami was a bit loose. Recently I bought used audience ohno 3 and shunyata venom cables for different set ups but the best cables for M5 to my ears are Shunyata venom with low background, good tight bass and wide sound stage. venoms are staying with M5.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #86 on: 13 May 2021, 02:51 am »
I've switched over to pure silver in a teflon sleeve and 'beeswax treated', multiple small strands braided together to get to 15ga for my downstairs system.  For my upstairs system I have the DIY UPOCC braided copper cable that Danny at GR Research sells.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #87 on: 13 May 2021, 11:21 am »
I've switched over to pure silver in a teflon sleeve and 'beeswax treated', multiple small strands braided together to get to 15ga for my downstairs system.  For my upstairs system I have the DIY UPOCC braided copper cable that Danny at GR Research sells.

you have 2 systems utilizing spatials?!?  if so, how cool.

doggie

« Reply #88 on: 13 May 2021, 01:03 pm »
I am still waiting for my X5's to arrive but I will be using Duelund DCA16 hookup wire which is based on the old Western Electric design and has been popularized by Jeff Day who is now writing for Positive Feedback. I used it with my Omega Audio speakers for a couple of years.

I believe that it is the same wire that the X5 speakers use.

« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2021, 07:31 pm by doggie »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #89 on: 13 May 2021, 03:47 pm »
you have 2 systems utilizing spatials?!?  if so, how cool.

Doh, didn't notice that this was in the Spatial forum.  I do run OB speakers similar to the Spatials in my downstairs setup, but I run box speakers in my secondary (upstairs) system.  Sorry about that!

Kreepin

« Reply #90 on: 22 Jun 2021, 11:25 am »
I'm new here so hello all. Interesting thread, so many different cables and opinions. I like to tinker a bit and found some cables seem to work better with different equipment. I didn't like the the Kimber 12VS on my Pendragons but they did sound good on my Gallo's.

Mr. Big

« Reply #91 on: 23 Jun 2021, 01:09 pm »
Audioquest William Tell's, or Analysis Black Mesh 9 Gage, for a cost vs. performance a little known brand called Audioblast their 8 gage speaker cable, no bling, solidly made, but a lot of perforance. In fact, my Quad speakers were as good as a $1,500 set of speaker cables I was using, Quads of course have no woofer, tweeter, etc but even on the M3's, they sounded really good, fast, and clean with good bass.

Grahamps

« Reply #92 on: 1 Jul 2021, 12:10 am »
After getting my M3 Sapphires, I upgraded to Transparent Music Wave Ultra Gen 5... they were an upgrade from Music Wave Super MM2 I bought when I worked at a Transparent dealer.

forky

« Reply #93 on: 30 Aug 2021, 10:03 am »
I found analysis plus Black Mesh Oval 9 to work really well with the M3, which brought out the bottom end better, and give more weight to the midrange and highs. Just a nice balance and presence top to bottom. I have some Audio Envy cables coming this week to try out. 4 power cords and XLR interconnects for the system. Keeping the speaker cables as is.

Bumping this from a few mos. ago. Thanks for this post and just wanted to let you know I bought Black Mesh Oval 9s per your post and reading other reviews online. Just wondering if you kept the 9s or went w/ something else. I've probably got about 50 hours on mine and will probably keep them for a year before I think about upgrading but have a general ? for you all which is:

How much $ will you spend on speaker cable for speakers which cost $5k (for me, M3s). I read some great reviews on here about the William Tell - and am intrigued but they cost about 1/2  of what the speakers cost. The Anticables level 5 series cost about the same (at  7-8'). While I'm not completely opposed to doing this (prefer 30% max/below) if it is a substantial difference (I understand dissipating returns or whatever that term is as you move up w/ hifi) I just think about how much work, development and the materials that went into making the M3s and spending half of that on speaker cable - well doesn't seem "right". I know this can be a contentious subject and not trying to start anything in that regard but just wondering how much one would consider spending on speaker cable for $5k speakess. I know this varies but I think my "mental" max would be aroudn 30% of the speakers which is $1,500 (and about double what I spent on the Oval 9s). Maybe I can find some used William Tells someday when I'm in the market.  :)

doggie

« Reply #94 on: 30 Aug 2021, 11:31 am »
Bumping this from a few mos. ago. Thanks for this post and just wanted to let you know I bought Black Mesh Oval 9s per your post and reading other reviews online. Just wondering if you kept the 9s or went w/ something else. I've probably got about 50 hours on mine and will probably keep them for a year before I think about upgrading but have a general ? for you all which is:

How much $ will you spend on speaker cable for speakers which cost $5k (for me, M3s). I read some great reviews on here about the William Tell - and am intrigued but they cost about 1/2  of what the speakers cost. The Anticables level 5 series cost about the same (at  7-8'). While I'm not completely opposed to doing this (prefer 30% max/below) if it is a substantial difference (I understand dissipating returns or whatever that term is as you move up w/ hifi) I just think about how much work, development and the materials that went into making the M3s and spending half of that on speaker cable - well doesn't seem "right". I know this can be a contentious subject and not trying to start anything in that regard but just wondering how much one would consider spending on speaker cable for $5k speakess. I know this varies but I think my "mental" max would be aroudn 30% of the speakers which is $1,500 (and about double what I spent on the Oval 9s). Maybe I can find some used William Tells someday when I'm in the market.  :)

Why not use Duelund wire. You can make a DIY pair for less than $100-200 depending upon the length that you need. As far as I know it is what Spatial uses internally to connect the drivers. Sounds great with my X5's.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2021, 12:51 pm by doggie »

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #95 on: 30 Aug 2021, 11:34 am »
Why not use Duelund wire. You can make a pair for less than $100. As far as I know it is what Spatial uses internally to connect the drivers. Sounds great with my X5's.

link?

doggie

« Reply #96 on: 30 Aug 2021, 12:50 pm »
I got my wire from Parts Connexion. I looked back through my old email receipts to see what I had purchased, how much, and what it cost.

I got 12 meters(36 feet) of DCA16GA. It looks like it cost closer to $150 then. That made for a pair of ~8 foot DIY speaker cables allowing for twisting each pair. You will need to figure out the lenght from your amp to your speaker and multiply that by 4 to get the amount that you need. Remember that they are in Canada and use meters. If you make them yourself you will probably twist the pair so add on some extra lenght for that. I use bare wire at each end.

Looks like they now sell premade cables at custom lengths and with a Techflex sheath. The pre-made cables come in 12 and 20 gauge. 12 for speakers and I assume 20 for interconnects. I use have been using Duelund for my interconnects also.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #97 on: 30 Aug 2021, 01:07 pm »
Belden 9497 16 AWG 2 Conductor High-Conductivity Copper Speaker Cable Open Twisted Construction

Mr. Big

« Reply #98 on: 30 Aug 2021, 01:45 pm »
For more performance with just superb balance top to bottom and I mean a well-detailed dynamics, the AQ Firebird or William Tell, but then you cannot skimp on the interconnects, your build a whole connection network from the wall AC to the power amp, and then to your speakers.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2021, 02:49 pm »
Analysis Plus Oval 9's.