5 Minutes That Will Make You Love Opera

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: 5 Minutes That Will Make You Love Opera
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2020, 04:04 pm »
Excellent music.

I will add my own choice.

Two friends falling in love with the same girl promising to remain BFFL.  Au fond du Temple Saint  

I chose this one because it has English subtitle and they are good.  The version I like the best is this one with Jussi Björling & Robert Merrill .  The incomparable Caruso recording  is good too but you have to account for the technical difficulty of a 1907 recording. There are so many others. 

I have been listening to a lot of Opera -- not just my own (considerable) record collection but also Met video service that I subscribe to.  The visual does add a lot to the experience.  With that in mind here is the first Act of a production.   It gives you a context of what they are singing about in the duet.

What's yours?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2020, 05:09 pm »
I found that my appreciation for opera went up quite a bit when I got speakers that had excellent midrange to tweeter integration.  Speakers with less than perfect integration tend to make opera voice sound irritating to me.  All this time I thought I didn't like opera, and it turned out it was just a technical limitation on my old speakers.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2020, 10:09 pm »
My wife and I really enjoy live Opera !!
We went to 3 operas last season . They were all wonderful!!!
We are getting tickets for less than $20 a seat .

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 01:24 am »
Too bad there is no good recordings of Callas, so I will suggest Julia Varady & Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau also in a no great recording, fortunately the performance are great inclusive Maazel:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zemlinsky-Lyric-Symphony-Julia-Varady/dp/B00000E3FR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuCiDT_PCY