SP 1.7- lower volume on 2ch bypass ?

misko

SP 1.7- lower volume on 2ch bypass ?
« on: 13 May 2010, 08:06 pm »
 Hi all

today i was testing my new bluray player,and did not have any place tu put it,so it ended up on top of the sp1.7,after two hours of playing,i was going to try 2ch bypass and it was much lower on volume than coax out :(,never happened before.So i was going to check my connections,but preamp was really hot to touch(because of the player sitting on top of it),it was never so hot before..
So my question is-could analog bypass be affected by this?or could i have something else screwed up?or maybe i just should let it cool down?..

please help :cry:

mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 1.7- lower volume on 2ch bypass ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 09:05 pm »
Hi Mike,

Yes the 2 channel bypass has less volume. It will depend on where the volume control is. Between about 8 oclock and 11 oclock the difference will be more obvious than between 11 oclock and 2 oclock.  The reason is that in Bypass mode the SP1.7 (SP2) uses a true analog stereo volume control and matching the output on the analog control across the whole range of the digital volume control (micro processor) was not possible.

By the way many processors out there in their bypass modes do not in fact use an analog volume control but in fact use the same micro-chip digital volume control in the circuit for both surround and stereo.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010, 12:40 am »
James,

I have an SP2 and I find that using the 2-channel bypass, the volume is louder than the digital mode.  Therefore, I need to reduce volume on 2-channel bypass mode - 4bsst.

Now, I have trade-in my 4b sst for sst^2 and find the digital or bypass mode very close for loudness levels.  Is the reason due to the increase in impedance in the new amplifier design?

Ciao,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2010, 01:17 am »
James,

I have an SP2 and I find that using the 2-channel bypass, the volume is louder than the digital mode.  Therefore, I need to reduce volume on 2-channel bypass mode - 4bsst.

Now, I have trade-in my 4b sst for sst^2 and find the digital or bypass mode very close for loudness levels.  Is the reason due to the increase in impedance in the new amplifier design?

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

No I think the difference is probably the output gain differences in the source gear.  The input impedance would not affect volume levels.

james

misko

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2010, 11:34 am »
thanks for replies

but i have to disagree with you James,because analog bypass was always louder in my HT,so i thought that something was wrong.
And it was just me playing with all settings..
I lowered output from my dvd-sacd player by 7db to even out all channels to sub out which is very weak on 5.1analog out.I raised it again to 0db and now is everythig as it should be.

very happy again,thanks

mike