Wellness Mats

djbnh

Wellness Mats
« on: 3 Jul 2021, 12:56 pm »
Any of you cooks using Wellness Mats in your kitchen? If so, please share your thoughts pro / con. Thanks in advance for your replies.

ctviggen

Re: Wellness Mats
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2021, 07:52 pm »
We use something similar near our sink.  I think they work a bit, enough to make me want another one when I'm cutting stuff, which I don't do near the sink. 

As for detriments, they can be a slight challenge to clean around.  The one we have really sticks to the floor.  Good, in that it doesn't move.  Bad, if you either would like to move it or want to clean it. 

I wouldn't mind getting one for cutting/other meal preparation, but we don't have a place to put it.  We'd have to pick it up and put it away, and that might be a pain.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2021, 09:32 pm »
We don't ever wear shoes in our home so those mats really help when you're on your feet cooking for long spells. They do add to the effort of cleaning the kitchen but it's not that big a deal. The only negative I can mention is that the textured surfaces take a long time to dry compared to tile floors after everything has been mopped.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2021, 07:09 am »
Huh!  25+ years as a professional chef and I've never heard 'em called that before. :lol:  I've used them at work but never at home.  Mostly I'm not on my feet working in my home kitchen long enough to really need one but I guess it might be nice.  They're not all that expensive.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm »
I would need to line my whole kitchen with them as I never stand in one place while cooking.  We tried one in my last kitchen and it was never in the right place, so no positive effect was noticed.

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2021, 12:59 pm »
I would need to line my whole kitchen with them as I never stand in one place while cooking.  We tried one in my last kitchen and it was never in the right place, so no positive effect was noticed.
I've thought of this as well; your comments are well founded.

God love my devoted wife. She often gets frustrated in knowing where to stand to chat when I'm creating in our kitchen. On the plus side, after many a year she's adapted to staying out of the "triangle". So maybe it's best  for just one for the double sink, because I'm always cleaning up as I go along / wife would get use out of it too.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2021, 02:54 pm »
What makes them so special compared to something from Walmart starting at $20? That is what I am using. :dunno: