Future of the SWL 9.0 SE & Signature

cactusjack

Future of the SWL 9.0 SE & Signature
« on: 24 May 2010, 12:41 am »
The LS 100 sounds awesome. What are the plans for the SWL 9.0,  SE and Signature versions. Will you continue to have them in the line or discontinue? I assume that you would continue to provide service and possibly still perform upgrades. Please share your plan.
Thanks
Cactus

cactusjack

Re: Future of the SWL 9.0 SE & Signature
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2010, 05:46 pm »
Dan:
I found out all I was curious about from your ad on Audiogon. No need to post this now. Just delete the post.
Thanks
Cactus

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2010, 07:13 pm »
Cactus jack,

Can you share what you learned or provide a link to the ad you're referring to?

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2010, 07:49 pm »
Happy to reply about the SWL 9.0SE.  Here is the history:

The SWL 9.0 was first released seven years ago, and is named after my son Spencer Wright, who was 9.0lb. at birth.  This was symbolic of our first child and also our first product of our own design and mfr.  It has won awards and garnered much praise over time, Editors Choice award in TAS for two years, Blue Note Award in Enjoy the Music, Blue Moon award in 6Moons and has been reviewed in both print (TAS - Sallie Reynolds) and online- Enjoy the Music, Positive Feedback, 6Moons, etc.

The first 9.0's quickly became 9.0SE's and the 9.0SE eventually evolved to the 9.0SE 'Sig. Edition'.

Like my son, the 9.0SE grew and developed into something greater over time. We found ways to improve it in small and greater ways.  The most significant changes were the tube-rectified power supply and the custom MWI capacitors.  We then further improved upon the tube-rectified supply, to include sophisticated dual-discrete SS voltage regulation.  The Signature Edition includes the latest supply and MWI capacitors as well as all the other smaller upgrades over time.

The final price of the 9.0SE 'Sig. Ed.' was $3000.  It is being replaced with the LS 100, priced at $3295, which will take up where the 9.0SE left off, with more features, a larger enclosure with a future upgrade option (DAC or phono).  It has a headphone out, more remote control options and uses the 6SN7 driver tube.

So, the 9.0SE is being phased out, but being as how it is our first product, will never truly be discontinued.

We also support ALL of our products, for their lifetime.  The 9.0SE has a 5-year transferrable warranty, but we will of course service it beyond the warranty period, for parts and reasonable labor costs.

More importantly, we also offer a number of upgrades for the 9.0SE units, to bring them up to the 'Sig. Ed.' status in one or two steps.  We can upgrade either the power supply to the latest design and/or upgrade the critical capacitors (16 total) to MWI custom capacitors.  The full upgrade is $995, including return shipping.  Each upgrade is available separately for $500 + shipping.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 06:30 pm by modwright »

cactusjack

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2010, 09:23 pm »
Dan's audiogon ad for upgrades for the SWL 9.0 SE to signature is:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1279827672&/Modwright-Swl-9.0se-Signature-

Basically a repeat of his prior post to this thread.