Grounding Question

dhsettim

Grounding Question
« on: 13 Dec 2003, 05:29 am »
Hi John et al,
Referring to his TX102 Thorten wrote
"Each input has it's Pin 1 or the ring for RCA terminated by a 5K1 (XLR) or 2K2 (RCA) resistor to the chassis to reduce possible common mode AC problems (even 60dB CMMRR are not much when the common mode is >100V AC like on my VCR) and also RF terminted to ground with a 47R AB0.25W carbon composite resistor in series with 4n7 ceramic caps".
Has anybody else tried tried this or found the need for this grounding scheme?
thanks, tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Grounding Question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2003, 03:02 pm »
Hello!

This basically has to do with finding the grounding scheme that will result in  the quietest operation of your system. The ground select switch we use now has 2 positions - 'hard ground' and 'floating ground'. I used to have a third switch position on the TX102 pre-amps (that came from Thorsten's info) that grounded the inputs through resistors. I called it a 'soft ground'. The positions were:

Float: Input grounds isolated from the output grounds
Soft ground: Input gounds connected via a resistor
Hard Ground: Input grounds connected via a wire
The soft ground was the source of much confusion and discussion and in the end it seemed systems either wanted to float or to be hard grounded so about a year back I eliminated the 'soft ground'. There is nothing wrong with it at all - it's just that when the soft ground worked well hard ground also worked just as well.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

dhsettim

Grounding Question
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2003, 06:29 pm »
Thanks John, sorry I didn't do a search on the archives. But how about theRF termination of resistor and cap in series? I guess that too was found unnecessary? tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Grounding Question
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2003, 10:50 pm »
Hello!

I should have added that to my first post. I have not had any sign of needing the rf ac coupling res/cap filter so I never did add it - if anyone has used something like that with good results I'd like to get some feedback.

Thansk!

John