I have a buddy that needs a little help in the Los Angeles area

Danny Richie

This is not an audio related request for help.

My buddy is looking seriously at a car for sale there in the LA area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=190647964062&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

And he needs someone in that area to check it out for him.

So any of you guys in the area interested in helping a buddy out?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Why not have a dealer do a PPI on it and also request a paint sheet?

geezer

I've been in that situation a several times. What I always do is, first look it up in the blue book, then look it up in consumer reports, and finally, and most importantly, I take it to my regular mechanic to give it a thorough check-up. The check-up is is a must, especially for a car that expensive.

persisting1

PM sent.

Saturn94

That vehicle has a "salvage" title, meaning it was previously totaled.  Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The financial institution where I work wouldn't even consider providing financing.

Is the potential buyer aware of this?

Danny Richie

That vehicle has a "salvage" title, meaning it was previously totaled.  Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The financial institution where I work wouldn't even consider providing financing.

Is the potential buyer aware of this?

Yep, and sometimes these cars are rebuilt very well. The last car I bought had a reconditioned title. It has been a great car and mechanically perfect. It all depends on how much damage they had and if it involved frame damage or just body panels. Even suspension pieces can be easily replaced if all else is good.

Saturn94

Yep, and sometimes these cars are rebuilt very well. The last car I bought had a reconditioned title. It has been a great car and mechanically perfect. It all depends on how much damage they had and if it involved frame damage or just body panels. Even suspension pieces can be easily replaced if all else is good.

I see.  Hopefully he can find someone to give it a thorough inspection.

srb

It all depends on how much damage they had and if it involved frame damage or just body panels.

Unless it is unibody where the body panels are the frame, like the Saturn Outlook.  Glad it worked out for your last car, but a few cars that I have had that were "professionally repaired" were anything but.  There seems to be a wider variety of repair methodology and required artistry associated with body repairs than strict mechanical assembly repairs.

For me, I would just move on to the next (local) candidate.

Steve

abernardi

Does he know why it has a salvage title?  A lot of salvage title cars are from flood damage and once that happens, there's no way to get that car back to good condition... mold, etc.

Danny Richie

Does he know why it has a salvage title?  A lot of salvage title cars are from flood damage and once that happens, there's no way to get that car back to good condition... mold, etc.

From the add: This vehicle was hit from the front right. We had to replace the front bumper cover, right fender, right headlight, hood, and radiator support.

Saturn94

From the add: This vehicle was hit from the front right. We had to replace the front bumper cover, right fender, right headlight, hood, and radiator support.

Call me suspicious, but that doesn't sound like enough damage to total the vehicle unless there was also serious frame damage that wasn't mentioned.

I really hope your friend knows exactly what he's getting into. :o

Saturn94

Unless it is unibody where the body panels are the frame, like the Saturn Outlook.  Glad it worked out for your last car, but a few cars that I have had that were "professionally repaired" were anything but.  There seems to be a wider variety of repair methodology and required artistry associated with body repairs than strict mechanical assembly repairs.

For me, I would just move on to the next (local) candidate.

Steve

+1

edoggrc51

I just noticed the thread. Still need help with this Danny??

Danny Richie

I just noticed the thread. Still need help with this Danny??

He pulled the trigger on it and is waiting for delivery.

edoggrc51

Ok cool.  :thumb: