"Spirit 75" coax cable - Observations?

nature boy

"Spirit 75" coax cable - Observations?
« on: 13 Mar 2018, 01:46 pm »
Looking for input and listening impressions for Pete's Spirit 75 coax cables.  Plan to use with RCA terminations from CD transport to DAC.  Thanks in advance.

NB

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: "Spirit 75" coax cable - Observations?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2018, 02:43 pm »
   The Spirit will not haunt you.  :lol: Seriously the Spirit has no issues. Tonality is excellent as well as harmonics. Works well with all DACs as it is of neutral character yet emotional, go figure.
Give it a go and my guess you will keep it.

charles

peter59

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:29 pm »
I agree with Rollo.. I have been using Pete's spirit coax for a few months and it sounds wonderful.. I have it hooked up from my Border Patrol Dac to my Oppo 105 player..

Happy listening,

PC

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2018, 06:28 pm »
   Pull that trigger there  is a return policy which is not used much at all.

charles

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2018, 09:49 pm »
Thanks guys.  Ordered one from Pete today.

NB
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2018, 10:57 pm by nature boy »

groovybassist

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2018, 05:51 pm »
I ordered one today as well.  My first foray into the TWL family.  Anxious to check it out.

-Mike

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:13 pm »
Based on my experience with the TWL discrete USB cable, we'll both be in for a real treat for the ears.

NB

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2018, 06:19 pm »
Received my "Spirit 75" coax cable with RCA terminations today.  Pete built this quickly for me.  He offers A++ customer service.

Let the 120 hours of burn in begin.

Cable sounds great right out of the gate.  Using a TEAC PD-H600 CD transport to be Decware ZDAC2 (modified TEAC NT-503 DAC). Soundstage wide and deep, excellent piano note decay.  Expecting improvement in deep bass frequency response in days to come.

NB

OrangeCrush

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2018, 12:41 am »
Love mine as well. Replaced a Oyaide DR-510. The TWL is so natural and beautiful sounding.  Really hard to describe. Has a certain magic that you notice is gone when you take it out.

Plus I don’t know how it can be so flexible for 75ohm coax.

I am close to now having full loom of TWL, which is not too bad as I have a somewhat minimalist system.

Speaker cables next.

Emil

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:45 pm »

Got mine also :thumb:

Right out of the box ( or should I say bag ), it replaced the VH Audio Pulsar Ag with KLE Pure Harmony RCAs.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2018, 12:01 am »
Anyone else have any experiences with this cable? I'm looking to try a different RCA digital coax.

groovybassist

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2018, 02:00 pm »
I've probably got 100 hours or so on mine and think it's a great cable.  Some cables highlight certain things - transparency, stratospheric highs, powerful bass, etc.  I'm not a fan of this approach as that sound is imprinted on every song, regardless of the artist's/recording engineer's intent.  I find the Spirit 75 coax does the exact opposite - it simply gets out of the way and presents a cohesive, organic picture of what's going on in the recording.  There's plenty of everything in this cable, but no aspect of its' performance comes at the expense of another - just a high-quality, well balanced performance.  In addition, it's clearly a nicely constructed cable using quality components.

I haven't had the luxury of trying out large numbers of stratospherically priced cables, but since putting the Spirit 75 in, I have no interest in taking it out or moving up the ladder in terms of price.

who?me?

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:16 am »
Anyone else have any experiences with this cable? I'm looking to try a different RCA digital coax.

I can chip in.
I recently started using TWL after using Nordost Blue Heaven almost exclusively for the last year.
But the Nordost are so good at bringing out detail, that there is even too much hi end extension for me.

I ordered the TWL 3 weeks ago: SPDIF Digi RCA AND pair of ICs., and replaced both my Nordost SPDIF AND ICs at the same time.  I normally try to control as many variables as possible, but this time, I really wanted to be able to hear an obvious difference, so that is why I swapped out 2 cables at once.

I did hear a noticeable difference in the high end extension and quality with the TWLs.  It was a bit smoother but still resolving. I would also say that the TWL is more organic sounding than the Nordost, but the Nordost has more PRAT than the TWL. In fact, if I was to ID a flaw in the Nordost loom, it would be that it’s kind of PRAT can be too strong at times. Anyway, the TWL is more organic and balanced from top to bottom. The 2 brands were somewhat similar sounding as far as being detailed, dynamic, full sound, pretty neutral but very realistic sounding.

Don’t get me wrong , the TWL has PRAT, just not as prominently as the Nordost gear IMO. With the TWL, I like the way the music moves and “Just sounds right”, The same kind of thing that I was trying to say above with being organic and balanced. It is not just that the tones/timbres that are organic sounding, but the movement of the music Itself is organic, even during turn-on-a-dime transients, it just sounds natural and real.

TWL DIGITAL AMERICAN PC—<

I’ve been using a TWL Digital American power cable into my BC/Bel Canto Ref500S for one week now. I hade tried a few power cords in the BC Ref500S, Nordost Blue Heaven and Red Dawn, PS Audio AC-10, Furutech quality cord, Shunyata Taipan Alpha Helix. All quality cords and each has its own sonic signature, none of which “did it for me”.

The TWL Digi American finally pretty much does it for me. More noticeable differences than with the TWL SPDIF and IC swap out that I described above. The TWL really takes the edge off the top of high frequencies, smooths it out. Midrange sounded good, less “forceful” than the Nordost. The only loss I felt going from the Nordost to the was during transients, which seems to lose a bit of attack, a bit of bite, a bit too smoothed over. But if I was asked to keep the TWL PC or the Nordost, I would choose the TWL since it manages the hi end so well.

Finally, with the TWL, the lower registers below about 50 Hz also seemed to clear up pretty noticeably, was quite surprised, hearing lower tones that I had not heard before. The Digi American was able to clear up some of the LFE muck.
Pretty impressive.

Next audio tests will be sonically isolating each of the TWL cables via replacing with all Nordost, such as the TWL SPDIF 75 Digi... will report back at that time. Also curious what a full loom would sound like ....

{—>I’m running MBP TIDAL/Digi file and a SimAudio CDP as Transport into Bel Canto 3.7 DAC
—> with or without a tubed Eastern Electric BBA, o/w go direct into Bel Canto Ref500S Class D Amp
—> Dynaudio Contour S3.4 Floorstanders; cable loom of Nordost Blue Heaven}