SS v Tubes and planars

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
SS v Tubes and planars
« on: 9 Jul 2018, 11:49 am »
I put together an inexpensive summer SS set up recently that has changed my mindset on SS in a good way. The pre a 1991 Yamaha CX-630, amp a 1992 Yamaha MX-630; with a Denon DVD-2930ci from 2008.  All 3 units cost me $400.00. Naturally I didn’t expect more than a so-so system to get me through the summer months, what I have is a totally euphoric and engaging system that I haven’t detected any weaknesses or sonic flaws.  In fact, it’s making my bass much faster as are my 2.5’s.  The soundstage is pretty much the same, huge and with no walls.  The detail is all there as is the finesse and note rise and decay.  Trust me, I have really tried to find flaws and haven’t, I’ve tried with classical, rock, jazz, soul, r&b, fusion, pop, and it’s all good.  My tube system is very good, an Audio Research VS 110, Modified Bottlehead Foreplay II pre and a Ah! Tjoeb 99 CD player.  It might be a little softer and a bit warmer and sounds fuller at lower spl’s, the SS set-up gets its groove on starting around 85 dB’s. 

I’m still dumbfounded and pleased at the same time

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: SS v Tubes and planars
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm »
Planars are often a tough load, not surprised that an SS amp is a good match.  If you do end up missing the tube sound, you could always swap in a tube preamp.

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2018, 02:22 am »
Absolutely, I am also using my tube CD player through the tape input but can do the same with the Bottlehead pre.  Good to have choices😉

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2018, 10:03 pm »
Yeah, IMO most of the truisms in audio are just BS
  • Tubes are better/worse than solid state
  • DACs with chip XXX are better/worse than DACs with chip YYY
  • Digital files are better/worse than vinyl
  • Power conditioners (make no)/(make all the) difference
  • DACs with xxx architecture are better/worse than yyy architecture
  • Balanced circuits/interconnects are better/worse than single-ended
and so on.

I think it's the implementation that counts. A piece designed with great engineering (which to me includes careful listening) usually sounds better than one that isn't. Recordings obviously depend more on recording and mastering techniques than on format, and whether you prefer digital to vinyl will depend on what anomalies bother you and what doesn't. For example.

It's great to hear you put together such a satisfying system for so little money! That is always inspiring.