Stereo with Sub ???

cp10932

Stereo with Sub ???
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 03:28 pm »
What settings on my SP1.7 can give me playback of 2-channel CD's to my 2 front main speakers + subwoofer?  I don't want the center and rear speakers to be active.  Thanks.

Levi

Re: Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: cp10932
What settings on my SP1.7 can give me playback of 2-channel CD's to my 2 front main speakers + subwoofer?  I don't want the center and rear speakers to be active.  Thanks.

Hi there,

I would select "Stereo" but make sure you activate your subwoofer in the menu.

cp10932

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2004, 09:29 pm »
I did set the subwoofer to "ON", "ON with XBASS OFF", and "ON with XBASS OF" and play in STEREO but nothing came out of the sub.  What am I not doing right?

jethro

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2004, 10:14 pm »
Perhaps your sub-woofer level is too low and/or your sub crossover is too low for the music you are playing?

Perhaps your BPLM is too low ?

nicolasb

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2004, 11:25 pm »
Make sure you set your front speakers to "Small" and have a sensible cross-over frequency.

jethro

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:31 am »
Quote from: nicolasb
Make sure you set your front speakers to "Small" and have a sensible cross-over frequency.

In stereo mode you can also have the fronts set to large and XBASS ON. It might not sound too good though for music.

cp10932

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2004, 02:54 am »
Do you mean I have to set the front speakers to "small" even though my front speakers are full range Nautilus 802's?

cp10932

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2004, 04:54 am »
Setting the front speakers to Small did it.  Thanks.

nicolasb

Stereo with Sub ???
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2004, 11:55 am »
Do you mean I have to set the front speakers to "small" even though my front speakers are full range Nautilus 802's?

Nautilus 802s aren't full-range. The -3dB point is at 34Hz. A decent subwoofer will go down to 16Hz or even lower.

If you ever listen to music with a large pipe organ - with a 32-foot stop - then there will be lots of stuff going on in the 16-31Hz range.

To get the best out of your system you may need to tweak the settings according to what you're listening to. I don't know about the capabilities of your other speakers, but you might find that for 5.1 or 6.1 movies you're best having all speakers set to Large, subwoofer on, and the cross-over set to "None", while for stereo sources you might want the front speakers set to Small and a 35Hz cross-over. (If any of your other speakers need to be set to Small then that changes things).