RoomPak problem

scholes25

RoomPak problem
« on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:10 am »
Hi guys,

My first post in this forum.
Over the weekend, I bought a set of 8th nerve roompak of 10.
And after setting up  the cushions as advised, the acoustic improvement was incredible. I could not believe what 10 pieces of cushion could do to a room.  :D
It would be suffice to say that I am a happy new customer of 8th nerve treatment products.

But as my topic title suggest, I do have a problem with the cushions, and my problem is that I have a hard time keeping the cushions from dropping. I use normal double-side tape, but no matter how much tape I stick on the cushions, they just keep dropping. It has became a daily ritual for me to re-tape the cushions.

It has came to a point that I am now truly exasperated with the products and at a loss of what I should do.

So guys in this forum, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Thank you

WilliamL

Have you tried...
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:14 am »
Hi Scholes,

Have you tried double sided velcro? This should work for you. Not sure how strong the double sided tape is that you are using. Is it down a basement where it is damp, with cememt walls maybe? Sometimes the moisture could be an issue. Lets put our heads together and figure out how to make these stay put, especially since you are getting such a great improvement from them.

(By the way. You can call me anytime tomorrow. Should be around all day at the NYC office at 718-606-2563. Or PM me.)

Best of Regards,
Bill Laurent

scholes25

RoomPak problem
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:29 am »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I don't think I would be able to call you unless you accept call-collect. ( I hail from Singapore) : :mrgreen:

The walls are normal cement walls. I guess in Singapore, it is very humid and therefore moisture will always be a problem.
My stereo room is on the 2nd floor of a two storey house.

If I were to use velcro, does it mean I have to sew on the velcro onto the cushion?
I dun think I can sew very well, are there more powerful stick-ons that I can use to solve my problems?

We do have many reputatble DIY-shops in singapore that I can obtain my products from.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

WilliamL

RoomPak problem
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:57 am »
DOUBLE SIDED VELCRO. You won't have to sew anything.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You should be able to find that pretty easy there in Singapore.

Best,
Bill  8)

hairofthedawg

RoomPak problem
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:31 am »
I still had problems with the double-sided velcro sticking until I sewed it, or had a friend sew it, on to the acoustic panels.  It didn't want to stick at all.  It wasn't as frequent as you describe, but still a pain.  I still have two spots on my wall, not the panels that the sticky velcro doesn't want to stick to but I can live with two.

cheers,

Dick

WilliamL

RoomPak problem
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:33 am »
Hey Dick,

Good to hear from you. How are things over there in Cyprus?

Bill

JR

• http://www.soundscapehifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm »

JR

a
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm »

JR

RoomPak problem
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:02 pm »
Hi, Scholes,

Well, you can call me, JR here from Soundscape HiFi, Singapore  :)

Anyway, most of us have concrete walls, and most of us use 3M Command Adhesive double-sided tapes, which does not destroy the paint, even those on cornices:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/command/products/mountingstrips.jhtml

3M also has Velcro pieces, interlocking fasteners, and info can be found at:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/command/products/interlocking.jhtml

However, in our weather, some lose effectiveness in about 6 months or longer (not on the wall, but on the 8th nerve), and you have to change the tapes again.  For the Corners - you'll need 3 on each edge, Echoes - 4 on each edge, Seams - 8 since it is longer and heavier.  You can email me your email id at ycert@pacific.net.sg and I'll send you a rough drawing (handwritten for the moment).

There are even stronger tapes from 3M, double-sided foam tapes (not the black removable ones), or outdoor weather tapes.  All can be found at the local DIY shops in the malls - like at Tampines Mall, Bugis Junction DIY shop on the 3rd floor of Seiyu, Takashimaya DIY shop, etc..  or call 3M Singapore - 6 454-8611 .   Just note that these are not easily removable from walls, and may pull out the paint when you attempt to remove them.  

Now if you want it more permanent to last for years, yet removable, you could find out the spots where you intend to place the 8th Nerve items.  Then find some thin and very small wooden pieces - maybe visit a wooden toy shop, or a carpenter's shop, etc.  Put small pieces of 3M Command Adhesive tapes on these wooden pieces, and stick them to the wall.  Then use thumbtacks with short points to secure the 8th Nerve.  Or push pins, we have a lot of 8th Nerve Push Pins at our showroom (free).  We didn't include them in the package since they can't be used on solid concrete.

We'll try to have some of these wooden pieces at the showroom next weekend.

scholes25

RoomPak problem
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 12:49 pm »
hi JR,

Thanks for your reply.
Remember the tall guy who bought the roompak on Valentine's Day from you.
That was me :D
Anyway, I am using the 3M command tapes now, the result, is much better than the normal double sided tape.

I love the wooden blocks suggestion, I might just use that if this method dun work.

Thanks again to everyone for your reply.
The roompak is an amazing upgrade, but maybe you guys can add the adhesive directly to the paks itself instead of the customers doing it. It would be ideal.

JR

RoomPak problem
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2004, 03:33 pm »
del

JR

RoomPak problem
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2004, 03:34 pm »
Quote from: scholes25
hi JR,

Thanks for your reply.
Remember the tall guy who bought the roompak on Valentine's Day from you.
That was me :D
Anyway, I am using the 3M command tapes now, the result, is much better than the normal double sided tape.

I love the wooden blocks suggestion, I might just use that if this method dun work.

Thanks again to everyone for your reply.
The roompak is an amazing upgrade, but maybe you guys can add the adhesive directly to the paks itself instead of the customers doing it. It would be ideal.

Ok, I do remember.  Glad it worked for you.  They have worked in the showroom, haven't fallen down in over a year yet.  But, it's always airconditioned anyway, which is a different case.

Well, thanks for your suggestion, we'll follow it and have some 3M Command Adhesive tapes around to whoever wants to buy them with the Eighth Nerve :)  But we'll try to get those wood stuff done asap.   To be fair, Eighth Nerve does provide push pins, but they're only for houses with soft walls.

hairofthedawg

RoomPak problem
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2004, 08:33 am »
Hi Bill,

Things are going pretty good except for the fact that I just broke my ankle in three places rock climbing.  No pain, so that's cool and six weeks off of work, which is both good and bad, but plenty of time to listen to music even if not from the prime position.

cheers,

Dick