New ModWright Digital Input Mod for Existing MWI Modified Players!

modwright

We are pleased to announce the finalization of our scope to the following upgrade option:

We are designing an upgrade board that will allow as many as three digital inputs to be added to existing ModWright Modified players, tube or SS, thus allowing the ModWright player to act as both player and DAC.

Digital inputs will include SPDIF (RCA and/or BNC) and AES/EBU (XLR) inputs, USB not included.  The decision to not incorporate USB was based on the fact that to do so would compromise THIS design.  You can easily use a variety of external USB/RCA converters, such as those from M2Tech, that allow for up to 24/192 hi-rez data.

Design Scope and details below:

Design scope has been finalized and expanded. Digital input design shall include custom vcxo control algorithm, data buffeting and other circuits to achieve less than ~20ps jitter levels. This is the proprietary design of Alex Dondysh, digital engineer (former owner of 3Dimension Audio).

this appraoch was chosen over merely using a standard digital input receiver with internal PLL circuit, typically producing jitter levels on the order of 200ps or more!  It DOES add cost to the design, but I feel the performance MORE than justifies the end cost.

This is not to be confused with the master clock, internal to the player. The purpose of this clocking/buffering circuitry is to minimize jitter of external digital data, feeding the player's own DAC. This is to maximize performance of the modified player as a DAC for external digital source. In this configuration, the circuit consists of our ultra-low jitter digital input circuitry to the player's own DACs and output to ModWright's own analog stage design.

Oppo BDP-83SE and Sony XA-5400ES units will be the first units available for this upgrade.

SPDIF (RCA), BNC and AES/EBU (XLR) inputs may be provided. Multiple digital inputs will be switchable via mechanical switch on back of player. Toggle switch on rear of player will toggle unit from player to DAC

Price will be $750. Discount available to those interested in pre-ordering.

ETA for release is expected to be Feb. 1, allowing for design and testing of first article.

Thank you and please feel free to submit questions, comments and feedback here!

I have added a link to forward to this new thread, from a previous thread where this concept was introduced and feedback sought.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
www.modwright.com

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 07:34 pm by modwright »

rhyno

for the less technically savvy amongst us, can you say what sampling streams will be natively supported? 16/44 for sure, but any of the higher rez streams? or would it require us to use a downsampler to convert any non 16/44 to 16/44 before the digital input stage?

modwright

The digital input will accept up to 24/192 samples.  It will accept 16/44, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 if available.  It will not upsample but will re-clock and buffer the data for ULTRA-LOW jitter.

I hope this explains things better.

Dan

rhyno

one additional point / question:

adding digital inputs can turn the excellent MW players into digital music servers...how many inputs will you accomodate? 

( i personally need 3, even if they're all coax: PC, TV, & HDRadio).

thx

modwright

I am planning to offer at least two - SPDIF and XLR.  I will see if we can accommodate three, one of which will be AES/EBU and the other two SPDIF.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dan

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Dan,

What's the status of a Digital Input Mod for the Oppo BDP-95?  I'm particularly interested in that, so I can use the Oppo as a DAC for my Squeezebox Touch.

modwright

The mod is in final testing and programming stage for the Sony XA-5400ES.  At this point, the digital input mod for the Oppo 95 is on hold until we have the Sony digital input mod finalized.

The Oppo WILL accept USB music input from external USB hard drive or USB stick or other storage media.  At this point, it will not allow direct connection to the Touch via RCA (SPDIF).

Thanks,

Dan

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Thanks Dan!  Will stay tuned.

Actually, the Oppo already does network DLNA streaming, but it's software interface is too rudimentary to be practical, and it's only a DLNA Player (not a DLNA Renderer), so not compatible with other DLNA Control software like J. River or dBPowerAmp Asset Control, etc.

If Oppo is able to add DLNA Rendering via a future firmware upgrade, that could eliminate the need for a separate S/PDIF input.  I suggest keeping your eyes on if/where Oppo goes with that technology, before investing a lot of design time specifically on digital inputs for the BDP-93/95.

The mod is in final testing and programming stage for the Sony XA-5400ES.  At this point, the digital input mod for the Oppo 95 is on hold until we have the Sony digital input mod finalized.

The Oppo WILL accept USB music input from external USB hard drive or USB stick or other storage media.  At this point, it will not allow direct connection to the Touch via RCA (SPDIF).

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

Agreed and appreciated.  We are completing the first digital input mods for the XA-5400ES and while it has been difficult and taken longer than expected, the results are promising!

This is also 90% of a DAC, that we will be offering in the future as a standalone product.

RE the Oppo, I agree, if Oppo has provided THIS much flexibility already, it doesn't seem difficult to incorporate the rest of the functionality into a future firmware upgrade.

Thanks,

Dan

master mariner

Hi Dan,

Sony SCD-XA5400ES digital input mod:

It is my understanding from reading the technical background and studying the maintenance manual for the Sony 5400 that the Main Board (IC1101) is doing the 8x oversampling and also the PCM conversion (noise shaper) to 1-bit/64fs (DSD). The Audio board and DAC are then fed the same signal for any disk format.
Please correct me if I’m wrong. :D

Is your Digital Input board feeding the Sony Main Board to take advantage of this design?

Many thanks!

strangelove

What is the status of this upgrade for the Oppo 83SE?  I have one I'd be very interested getting this done (as well as a balanced outs and Truth Umbilical while you have the unit).

master mariner

Agreed and appreciated.  We are completing the first digital input mods for the XA-5400ES and while it has been difficult and taken longer than expected, the results are promising!

This is also 90% of a DAC, that we will be offering in the future as a standalone product.

RE the Oppo, I agree, if Oppo has provided THIS much flexibility already, it doesn't seem difficult to incorporate the rest of the functionality into a future firmware upgrade.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Any chance to comment on my below question regarding how your digital input is feeding the sony?

Sony SCD-XA5400ES digital input mod:

It is my understanding from reading the technical background and studying the maintenance manual for the Sony 5400 that the Main Board (IC1101) is doing the 8x oversampling and also the PCM conversion (noise shaper) to 1-bit/64fs (DSD). The Audio board and DAC are then fed the same signal for any disk format.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Is your Digital Input board feeding the Sony Main Board to take advantage of this design?

modwright

First of all, VERY TARDY reply to this, but the subject is still pertinent, so I will reply and 'sticky' the subject, so that it will be brought to the front....

Our first intent, was to use our digital input receiver, to accept XLR (AES/EBU) and Spdif (RCA) inputs and have them feed the internal Sony DAC. Well, this took over a year and in the end, I have ONE working prototype, but it is VERY twitchy and I decided to 'punt' on that approach in favor of a more attractive approach!

The problem was the interface and communication with the Sony firmware.  We decided it would make more sense for our digital input receiver to just have IT'S OWN DAC.  We chose the PCM1794, which is much better DAC than the Sony uses.  There is zero oversampling, but there is re-clocking and data buffering.

This combination formed a complete DAC that is SO GOOD that we are also using it to add a DAC to our LS 100 and KWI 200 SS integrated amp.  I have the first Sony prepped and ready for install of this new DAC/Receiver board for testing, today.

I have also been working with installing it in the Oppo 95, but bizarre grounding schemes in the Oppo have made this VERY challenging.  I am not expecting such problems with the Sony.  I know that the input receiver works in my one prototype.

More to follow as I install the first Dig. Input mod in the Sony XA-5400ES.

Thanks!

Dan