Neo 3/ Neo10 monitor thoughts.

Btrmousetrap

Neo 3/ Neo10 monitor thoughts.
« on: 4 Jan 2019, 03:48 am »
Hello all, I’m a new to forum music lover who is a year from retirement. I am planning to reestablish a modernized 2 channel audio system for my wife and I to enjoy. I am curious as to any shared thoughts on the neo 3/10 monitors. Has anyone completed and provided any results or their builds? I would think the potential is very good for these monitors. I do have a question for Dan or any one else regarding the addition of a midbass come driver to help integrate these with a sub. I am hoping to build a monitor for a middle to large room that can fill the space with 100 dB or better without compression while providing an airy, semi warm sound stage. Please share any experience or thoughts on my goals. Thanks and good listening.

Danny Richie

Re: Neo 3/ Neo10 monitor thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2019, 04:18 pm »
Yesterday I just finished gluing up a pair of the flat packs that Jay sent me.

So far Rich Hollis is the only one with a playing pair.

Next is the base for them that is seen here:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160972.0

I'll have the upper section available shortly. I'm going to have to finish up this pair and give them some listening. These should capture the sound of the Super-7 but in a smaller and more small room friendly package.

And we need to come up with a good name for them. These will be the smallest model in the Serenity line. Above them we have the Super-7 and the big Line Force models.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2019, 06:55 pm »
Maybe Super-Four to keep consistent with the other ‘Super’ speakers.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2019, 07:45 pm »
Super-Duper! :D

Best,
Ed

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2019, 09:47 pm »
How about, "Diminity" because it rhymes with Serenity.

Or if you want to get crazy with it, "Super Size Me, Two."  8)

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:51 pm »
I didn't pay enough attention :duh: to the post content regarding the woofer section. I would guess the combined height with the neo section and the woofer section will be approximately 41-42 inches based on scaling? Any chance of a single 7 or 8 inch sealed box woofer under each neo section to keep the size down? I would be using a sub for <50-60 hz bass fill. As for the name, what about Neomi ? Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2019, 11:14 pm »
I think it will come in around 40" or so. A single 7" or 8" woofer has little chance of reaching the 91db output levels of the Neo drivers. It would also increase the width a little more than I wanted. Plus we wanted to keep the design a full open baffle design. The three well proven M-165/16's will handle all of that quite well.

SteveKi

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2019, 02:38 pm »
And we need to come up with a good name for them. These will be the smallest model in the Serenity line. Above them we have the Super-7 and the big Line Force models.

These can be called the :
Super-7 Jr   1x1 Monitor

The upper section of the Super-7's can be called the:
Super-7  1x4 Monitor

simon wagstaff

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2019, 05:01 pm »
I want them. 😍

mkane

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2019, 06:40 pm »
 me too.

Danny23

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:20 am »
I’d be really interested in a comparison between these and the Wedgies. Very similar in design concept and application.

tmarshall7

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2019, 05:23 pm »
Yes, I believe many of us would love to see a kit price, output, and quality of audio comparison between both the Wedgie and the NEO3/NEO10  monitor. Danny, Could you or others step in on this one?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:15 am »
Yes, I believe many of us would love to see a kit price, output, and quality of audio comparison between both the Wedgie and the NEO3/NEO10  monitor. Danny, Could you or others step in on this one?

I'm assembling a completed pair right now. Give me a few more days to get the pair up and playing.

mkane

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:32 pm »
Super Hunky

Broncosaurs

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:36 pm »
Years ago I heard a pair of  Z-92s from BG Radia.  A "coax" of one neo 10 and a neo 3 on top of the 10 with 2 6.5" bass drives.  I always loved the sound of those speakers and looked for a used pair for sale for years which I never could find.  I have built some lower end speakers before and was doing the research to try and build them when BG went out of business and the Neo line was no longer available.  I lost interest until my Infinity's went kaput this week.  Started looking around again and this Super 2 looks like just what I was looking for.  I am very interested in this project.  I don't have much room behind the speaker, 6" .  Will the open baffle work or would a sealed system be better? Danny will these be added to your website?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:27 pm »
Years ago I heard a pair of  Z-92s from BG Radia.  A "coax" of one neo 10 and a neo 3 on top of the 10 with 2 6.5" bass drives.  I always loved the sound of those speakers and looked for a used pair for sale for years which I never could find.  I have built some lower end speakers before and was doing the research to try and build them when BG went out of business and the Neo line was no longer available.  I lost interest until my Infinity's went kaput this week.  Started looking around again and this Super 2 looks like just what I was looking for.  I am very interested in this project.  I don't have much room behind the speaker, 6" .  Will the open baffle work or would a sealed system be better? Danny will these be added to your website?

Those old BG models barely scratch the surface of what these can do, especially when these driver go into an open baffle.

But like any open baffle speaker, they need to be at least 3 feet or more out into the room.

My plan is to get a lot of up-dates made to the website in the coming weeks and that will include these new models, and some new announcements.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:40 pm »
I agree with Danny, the version of the OB NEO3/NEO10 needs to be out at least 3' into the room.   

I had them 3' to the front at CAF2018 and probably would have been better with 3' to the rear of the subs.

Even then they sounded very good.

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:11 pm »
So is a box speaker better than a OB when near wall placement is required?

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2019, 09:47 pm »
So is a box speaker better than a OB when near wall placement is required?

Lots of space behind the Ob's   is a good thing so  yeah. but, even a ported design  needs  some room, I've found the bass is always  much better if you  get them   14-18"  off the wall

jay

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2019, 09:57 pm »
Right, but my question is - close wall placement, what's better, box or OB? 

IMO, I think OB still wins even with close wall placement.  Because box speaker the mids/highs will interact with the rear wall almost as much as an OB will, AND the box speaker will have a much worse time with bass production with a near wall placement.  I think that swings the needle toward OBs even if 3 feet out is not possible.