Greetings from Cambridge MA

mark6172021

Greetings from Cambridge MA
« on: 23 Jan 2021, 02:29 pm »
Good day,

I hope this post finds you all in good health and spirits.

Regards,

Mark

mark6172021

Omnidirectional Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2021, 02:35 pm »
I am interested in sharing experiences with Omnidirectional speakers. Since I am a new member, I cannot used the search capabilities of this site. Any recommended circle or forum?

Thanks!

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
Re: Omnidirectional Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2021, 09:02 pm »
You can go to this website and search "omnidirectional" for some threads. 

http://audiosciencereview.com

There's probably other forums out there.   Or check the website of Ohm Acoustics,  Duevel,  Morrison Audio,   German Physiks etc.    Also:    Linkwitz Labs has a lot of great info.   Many people think of him as "open baffle" which of course is true,   but he also had quite a bit to say about the benefits of omni designs as well.

mark6172021

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2021, 09:17 pm »
Thank you for the links and recommendations. I am still interested specifically to hear from others in this circle about the omni speaker application to classical music. In particular, in terms of placement tricks and thoughts.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2021, 11:09 pm »
With classical music tonal accuracy is very important. The biggest source of tonal distortion comes from room reflections. The speaker radiation pattern controls the reflections and has a lot to do the quality of the tone at your ear. While an omni does provide the illusion of a more spacious sound due to the increased room reflections, these reflections do affect tonal accuracy. You have to know if you prefer more or less room reflections mixed into your music cocktail. Everybody is different on that. Audiophiles in general do tend to prefer more room sound, but they mostly listen to pop genres where slight tonal distortion isn't as noticeable. I prefer less room sound so I use more directional speakers. I have not owned omnis, but I have heard them at shows, placed far from the walls and I never heard classical music on them. I have had several dipole speakers but doesn't work for me. I don't know of any omnidirectional speakers that have adequate dynamic range for symphonic music. For various reasons I tend to prefer traditional box speakers with wide-ish baffle. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Greetings from Cambridge MA
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mark   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2021, 12:16 am »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2021, 12:55 am »
I will merge this topic with the previous topic you created in this Circle.