Looking to rewire RCA cables in my Technics 1200

dkd7

Looking to rewire RCA cables in my Technics 1200
« on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:19 am »
I replaced the stock cables with 5' of bjc LC1 a few years ago, I hard wired them to the board.

I would like to replace those with something else, maybe a Morrow PH4 or higher...or something else. I like the cables Blue Jeans offers, but am searching for something with higher resolution without increasing capacitance too much.

My phone stage is a Phenomena 2. The TT sounds good, but the highs seem rolled off and lacking overall dynamics.

Looking for ideas, all input appreciated.

bacobits1

Re: Looking to rewire RCA cables in my Technics 1200
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2017, 02:49 am »
What cartridge?

dkd7

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2017, 03:46 am »
Denon DL301 Mk2

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2017, 03:58 am »
Replacing them with silver would probably help the roll off. But honestly’ I replaced the cables on one of my Technics with some nice Mogami ones from an EBay seller and I have been happy. I always find BJC ICs to roll off the highs just a bit. Mogami seems to be much more neutral.

Pretty sure these are what I got.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302513625572

- Woody

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:55 am »
The 301mkll is a nice cartrdge. So it's not that.
The Mogami replacement should work better, I agree.

Phil_S

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2017, 04:30 pm »
Have you replaced the tonearm wiring?  I replaced the stock wiring with Cardas wire from the cartridge clips straight through to a KAB block on the back of the table.  BJC cables to the preamp (2').  It was like another veil had been lifted between me and the music.  Cartridge is an AT125LC.

dkd7

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
Have you replaced the tonearm wiring?  I replaced the stock wiring with Cardas wire from the cartridge clips straight through to a KAB block on the back of the table.  BJC cables to the preamp (2').  It was like another veil had been lifted between me and the music.  Cartridge is an AT125LC.

Tonearm wiring is stock. I replaced the head shell with a LP Gear Zupreme and the stock RCA with 5' of LC1.

I could replace the tonearm wiring and report back. I figure while I'm in there to change the LC1 as well but not sure what to use.

Phil_S

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2017, 08:13 pm »
I tend to look at the audio chain from two perspectives, from source to electronics and then from the other direction from speaker/headphone back to the electronics.  Since I am always short of funds I try to make every dollar count.

That being said I also do one change at a time so I know how that affects the sound. 

If you rewire the tonearm and terminate with a set of female RCA plugs, KAB or Cardas, then you can swap out the connections between the turntable and phono pre-amp without opening the bastard up and re-soldering.