BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2012, 01:50 am »
When will these be available for order?  And what sort of production time is involved?

Thanks.  8)

ETA:.... just saw this.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110081.msg1137849#msg1137849

So it can be "pre-ordered" now?

Hi

Hoping to get some out at the beginning of November.

James

hal jones

« Reply #21 on: 5 Oct 2012, 02:19 am »
Thanks. I'll have to pop into my local shop and order. Can't wait.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:19 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks,
still: when I enable the service, in the drives pane in Max2 I see Upnp under my other drives, when i click on that, nothing appears. Still, I have several Upnp/DLNA servers running, on my Macbook, on my Samsung TV, etc etc. My tv sees my Macbook and the various servers (Vuze,PS3 media server, Plex)  , even the Marantz Na7004 does, but not in Max2. Vuze does see the Bdp1:

How to proceed. Do you have some userguide?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Does the bdp indicate it is updating after you turn the feature on?

BDP-1: acts as a client, it will see files stored on dlna/upnp servers, not controllable from upnp controllers.

BDP-2: same as BDP-1, plus will host files for upnp/dlna enabled clients.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #23 on: 5 Oct 2012, 06:14 am »
Yes it does. And i see a debug folder under upnp. That is it.

Marius

Ps will the bdp2 support AirPlay? Would be a Mastermove..

Hi Marius,

Does the bdp indicate it is updating after you turn the feature on?

BDP-1: acts as a client, it will see files stored on dlna/upnp servers, not controllable from upnp controllers.

BDP-2: same as BDP-1, plus will host files for upnp/dlna enabled clients.

Chris

RonCH

Sound Quality
« Reply #24 on: 5 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm »
Hello, 

Is there any discernable difference in sound quality when the music is on a NAS compared to a USB drive?

Regards

Ron

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm »
Yes it does. And i see a debug folder under upnp. That is it.

Marius

Ps will the bdp2 support AirPlay? Would be a Mastermove..

lack of airplay is due to issues with the existing firmware, our next major release should "pave" the way for airplay in both the BDP-1 and BDP-2

but we will see

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Sound Quality
« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:23 pm »
Hello, 

Is there any discernable difference in sound quality when the music is on a NAS compared to a USB drive?

Regards

Ron

both should sound identical

Chris

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:45 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:

That is a major start  for my weekend! If you need some extra testing , I'd be glad to!

Marius

Ps we're talking Apple AirPlay aren't we....?

lack of airplay is due to issues with the existing firmware, our next major release should "pave" the way for airplay in both the BDP-1 and BDP-2

but we will see

Chris

Marius

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:51 pm »
Hi Chris, James,

Have you ever considered designing a separate Bryston box with all the extra internet, streaming, network and drives etc oriented features, next to the bare BDP? I ask because these are the features that tend to develop rather quickly in the industry, and the BDP could be a universal machine for a much longer period. That way your customers that don't want the internet stuff wouldnt have to update as often. Make it a more sensible and sturdy investment too...

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:25 pm »
Hi Chris, James,

Have you ever considered designing a separate Bryston box with all the extra internet, streaming, network and drives etc oriented features, next to the bare BDP? I ask because these are the features that tend to develop rather quickly in the industry, and the BDP could be a universal machine for a much longer period. That way your customers that don't want the internet stuff wouldnt have to update as often. Make it a more sensible and sturdy investment too...

Marius

Hi Marius,

Separate in what sense? The software or the hardware?

Chris

Marius

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hardware.
Hi Marius,

Separate in what sense? The software or the hardware?

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2012, 05:17 pm »
Hi Marius,

That's kind of the approach we are taking on this.  The BDP-1 will remain to be the "purist" player we had intended it to be.  While we have the BDP-2 that will allow us to do more in this product category.  What ever software is written for the firmware, if we feel the BDP-1 can handle it we will make it available to the BDP-1.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2012, 06:41 pm »
Hi Chris,
No that's not exactly what I meant. I meant the BDP as a purist player and a separate box (not a player) that handles all the internet traffic, disc-traffic etc etc.

You've made the bdp1 'purist' for very goods reasons, and now introduce all things you avoided with its introduction because of their noise-causing issues.

Separating the 2 could keep the purist bdp1, and still take care of more features wanting customers..

Marius

Hi Marius,

That's kind of the approach we are taking on this.  The BDP-1 will remain to be the "purist" player we had intended it to be.  While we have the BDP-2 that will allow us to do more in this product category.  What ever software is written for the firmware, if we feel the BDP-1 can handle it we will make it available to the BDP-1.

Chris

Vipers

« Reply #33 on: 9 Oct 2012, 08:45 am »
Well in a moment of weakness I've just ordered a BDP-2 and BDA-2 to put on demo, I'll keep the BDP-1 and BDA-1 and put them in the headphone room partnered with the BHA-1, so it will certainly be interesting to put both versions side by side to see if we can hear any differences, I'll probably put a small SSD in the BDP-2 with some reference recordings on to see how that sounds compared to locally attached and streaming from the Qnap, interesting times indeed.

Is it likely James that we'll see any in UK before the end of the year?

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #34 on: 9 Oct 2012, 08:46 am »
"The BDP-1 will remain to be the "purist" player we had intended it to be".

Certainly makes me feel better, I am now no longer someone who ordered the BDP-1 just before in became redundant,

I am a purist!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 9 Oct 2012, 11:40 am »
Well in a moment of weakness I've just ordered a BDP-2 and BDA-2 to put on demo, I'll keep the BDP-1 and BDA-1 and put them in the headphone room partnered with the BHA-1, so it will certainly be interesting to put both versions side by side to see if we can hear any differences, I'll probably put a small SSD in the BDP-2 with some reference recordings on to see how that sounds compared to locally attached and streaming from the Qnap, interesting times indeed.

Is it likely James that we'll see any in UK before the end of the year?

Hi Vipers,

We should be starting production in November so it is a good possibility.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #36 on: 9 Oct 2012, 11:47 am »
Hi Marius,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Does this potentially mean there could be killer apps such as full internet radio, ipad control etc that might only run under the BDP2?

If so guess what is now on my Xmas list  :roll:

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #37 on: 10 Oct 2012, 12:37 am »
Hi Chris,

Does this potentially mean there could be killer apps such as full internet radio, ipad control etc that might only run under the BDP2?

If so guess what is now on my Xmas list  :roll:

Cheers

Hi,

Something like Internet radio streaming is something the bdp-1 can handle with ease and only effects the sound quality when in use.  Making streaming a feature that could integrated into the BDP-1 without effecting the quality of the audio playback.  Streaming audio over the Internet isn't nearly as clean as playing back a 44k flac file, at the same time wouldn't effect the playback either.

My point is that the BDP-1 will only contain features that do not effect it's ability to playback hires material.  If you our end users say "Chris I just want my bdp-1 to play just hires files via mpd as it always has and not even have the option for anything else". Then by all means I can make that happen, but if features can be added without sacrificing the BDP-1's ability to render hires material then why not include the functionality?

Chris

Alpha10

« Reply #38 on: 10 Oct 2012, 05:15 am »
Hi,

Something like Internet radio streaming is something the bdp-1 can handle with ease and only effects the sound quality when in use.  Making streaming a feature that could integrated into the BDP-1 without effecting the quality of the audio playback.  Streaming audio over the Internet isn't nearly as clean as playing back a 44k flac file, at the same time wouldn't effect the playback either.

My point is that the BDP-1 will only contain features that do not effect it's ability to playback hires material.  If you our end users say "Chris I just want my bdp-1 to play just hires files via mpd as it always has and not even have the option for anything else". Then by all means I can make that happen, but if features can be added without sacrificing the BDP-1's ability to render hires material then why not include the functionality?

Chris

Thank you for the reply Chris. Certainly clear to me now. It is all starting to sound quite exciting, you are lucky to be in the position to flex your imagination. I think your problem will be more along the lines of having at least two or more opinions and requirements for each customer  :duh:

For me I love the fact that I just plug in a HDD and the BDP1 just plays wonderful music, simple (purist) approach is good. Just adding BBC radio would be the icing on the cake. BUT I find the Future possibilities for the BDP2 fascinating.

Are you guys thinking about publishing some sort of roadmap for the BDPx?

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2012, 03:53 am »
Hi,

Ultimately my goal is to try and keep everyone as happy as possible, the best way is to continue listening to the feedback from our customers and to try attempt to keep as true as possible to our original intentions of building a digital player, adding features without compromising that original goal.

Chris