RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

jn316

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)
« Reply #280 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:32 pm »
Smart move, Danny. Best of both worlds. Now when there is a review saying something wasn't quite right, you can say, "Did you try the tube connectors?"  8)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #281 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:47 pm »
Sounds like it's time to have some CNC aluminum plates made so the tube connectors and whatever the customer chooses can be in a nice plate that could be replaced if the customer wanted to go another route.  Simple, inexpensive, classy and very friendly to you and the customer.

Milehighguy

« Reply #282 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:57 pm »
If it was me, I would put an extra set of connectors on the show speakers, and promotional pictures. Just for show.
Imagine these two situations:
1) Rich football player (Peyton) enters the room in the market for speakers. Likes the speakers, looks them over and sees that they are connected by unusual connectors. Thinks to himself "those connectors won't work with my $10,000 spaded cables". He then leaves the room, goes to the next room and buys a pair of B&W speakers.
2)Peyton enters the room, likes the speakers, looks them over and sees that they are connected by unusual connectors. But also sees normal connectors. Asks Danny about it, and discovers the unique flexibility of the speaker, as well as the advantages of the tube connectors. Thinks to himself, " two connectors who is the genius who thought of that 'Jack's extra Jacks' idea?" (milehighguy). Buys the speakers. :thumb:

gprro

« Reply #283 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:02 pm »
Be interesting to see if there are any differences in sound by having the extra few inches of wire and another conector just hanging around. I remember the thread with( can't remember their name now ) rapped wire bundled in cotton or something hanging off the binding posts having all sorts of effects. Those were supossed to be tuned though...

Maybe a failsafe and instruction only to power one set of connectors at a time. Never know when someone might try to bi-amp them.  :duh:

Milehighguy

« Reply #284 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:09 pm »
The extra connectors should be mounted far enough away from the tubes to reduce electrical effects. In my earlier post I also mentioned a small warning sign, or a sliding cover that only allows one pair to be connected at a time.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #285 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:12 pm »
Okay fellows, the verdict on the binding post question is...

Serenity Acoustics will put any binding posts on its speakers that the customer is willing to pay for. However, it will not replace the tube connectors. It will be a second set that is in addition to. So one can use an inferior connection if they want, but the speakers will not be bottle necked by it. The higher quality tube connectors will be there should the customer decide to update their speaker cables at a later date.
That is the perfect solution.  Everyone is a winner!  Someday the industry will figure out that your Tube Connectors are THE deal.

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #286 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:14 pm »
Be interesting to see if there are any differences in sound by having the extra few inches of wire and another conector just hanging around. I remember the thread with( can't remember their name now ) rapped wire bundled in cotton or something hanging off the binding posts having all sorts of effects. Those were supossed to be tuned though...

Maybe a failsafe and instruction only to power one set of connectors at a time. Never know when someone might try to bi-amp them.  :duh:

Those are basically loops. I tried variations of those using various wire, foil etc. And they did have an effect. In this case it will be a very short piece of wire connecting them and not a loop. So the effect should be very minimum if any.

Milehighguy

« Reply #287 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:31 pm »
To be totally purist, having the 4 wires from the 2 sets of connectors all going directly to the crossover network would even eliminate the connection from one set of connectors to the other set of connectors and the little extra bit of wire between the connectors.

Danny Richie

« Reply #288 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:41 pm »
To be totally purist, having the 4 wires from the 2 sets of connectors all going directly to the crossover network would even eliminate the connection from one set of connectors to the other set of connectors and the little extra bit of wire between the connectors.

Actually that is much worse. That adds an extra LONG set of wires.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #289 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:48 pm »
Ok, to really dream.

Use a solid block of teflon to make the plate for the output connectors.  The aluminum plate will add extra capacitance since the metal binding posts will be very close to the aluminum plate.  The teflon would be a very low dielectric constant material to use.  No problem mounting the binding posts or friction fitting the tube connectors as well. 

Fun stuff! 

mojave

« Reply #290 on: 2 Oct 2012, 08:54 pm »
Actually that is much worse. That adds an extra LONG set of wires.
Lets say the speakers wires are 8' and the distance from the binding post to the crossover is 1'. How does extending the speaker wires 1' to the crossover make it extra LONG? Why would one 9' cable be worse than speaker cable, binding posts, and wire to the crossover all totaling 9'?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #291 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:03 pm »
The wires that are being added are in parallel to the existing cable.  This adds capacitance.  The longer the wires the higher the capacitance.  The shorter the wires the less capacitance you add. 

nickd

« Reply #292 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:06 pm »
Wow this thread has a lot of twists and turns :o

Myself, I'm just looking forward to hearing the new super 7 next Friday :thumb:

I used the tube connectors on my Super V's, and really like them. I've tried almost every binding post ever made on one speaker or another. Never bought or didn't buy a speaker because of a binding post. Speakers gotta be full range, dynamic and sonically "dissapear" to get me excited.

The Super 7 checks almost all of my boxes except for price. The economy will have to do a 180 beore I can think of spending that kind of coin on my rig. But if I had it to bolw, I might drive the truck to Colorado instead of fly :lol:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #293 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:36 pm »
Well, if there are two sets of posts it will make it easy to make
a speaker level connection to the servo amps for the guys
like me who have no outs on their integrated tube amps.

Danny Richie

« Reply #294 on: 3 Oct 2012, 01:23 am »
Well, if there are two sets of posts it will make it easy to make
a speaker level connection to the servo amps for the guys
like me who have no outs on their integrated tube amps.

That's a good point, but that won't work. The speakers come with an in line RCA filter (as a Y) as a high pass filter for planars. One end plugs into your amp and that end is filtered. The other female end (unfiltered) is where you run the RCA from your amp to the servo amp.

seadogs1

« Reply #295 on: 7 Oct 2012, 06:07 pm »
Danny any more updates on the Mini? Pictures? Price?

Danny Richie

« Reply #296 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:03 pm »
Danny any more updates on the Mini? Pictures? Price?

Nope, not yet.

R_burke

« Reply #297 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm »
Nope, not yet.

Anxious to see this one....

ttan98

« Reply #298 on: 9 Oct 2012, 12:47 am »
Hi Danny,

I will be attending this show from down under, Australia. I hope to meet up with you and have a short chat with you, esp. discussing your new speakers.

Regards,
Tan

Danny Richie

« Reply #299 on: 9 Oct 2012, 12:35 pm »
Hi Danny,

I will be attending this show from down under, Australia. I hope to meet up with you and have a short chat with you, esp. discussing your new speakers.

Regards,
Tan

:thumb: