RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

jparkhur

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)
« Reply #180 on: 22 Sep 2012, 12:47 am »
Danny.   That bow tie thing.  Do it right and make the grill full length and then as a bonus add in a slender color matched bow tie that can be taken on and off the grill as it would divide the tops and bottoms. It's the best of both worlds with little cost to you and gives 20k customers one more option. 

JP

Early B.

« Reply #181 on: 22 Sep 2012, 01:34 am »
Danny.   That bow tie thing.  Do it right and make the grill full length and then as a bonus add in a slender color matched bow tie that can be taken on and off the grill as it would divide the tops and bottoms. It's the best of both worlds with little cost to you and gives 20k customers one more option. 

Great idea. A couple of magnets should do the trick. Also, the bow tie may be a nice place to put a logo. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #182 on: 22 Sep 2012, 05:52 am »
We also optimize the room around the speakers.

And it pays off....always the best "optimize" room at the show....all the years I've gone. :thumb:

Milehighguy

« Reply #183 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:27 pm »
I want to jump in here with a little bit of a correction in regards to the name "super 7". This was a speaker kit offered in the late 70
's as Danny said, but the company was not Soundlab (known for their excellent electrostatic speakers-I have a pair of Soundlab Dynastats). The company name is Speakerlab ( I have a pair of super 7's, and a pair of it's successors, the DAS-7's). Speakerlab was also famous for their upgraded version of the Klipschorn speakers in kit form -very hard to build those cabinets. Speakerlab is still in business in Seattle as far as I know, but with new owners, and their present speakers don't resemble the earlier models. Btw, if anyone wants to buy a pair of original super 7's, or DAS-7's, or Soundlab dynastats, They are all for sale cheap. Just PM me.

Danny Richie

« Reply #184 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:32 pm »
I want to jump in here with a little bit of a correction in regards to the name "super 7". This was a speaker kit offered in the late 70
's as Danny said, but the company was not Soundlab (known for their excellent electrostatic speakers-I have a pair of Soundlab Dynastats). The company name is Speakerlab ( I have a pair of super 7's, and a pair of it's successors, the DAS-7's). Speakerlab was also famous for their upgraded version of the Klipschorn speakers in kit form -very hard to build those cabinets. Speakerlab is still in business in Seattle as far as I know, but with new owners, and their present speakers don't resemble the earlier models. Btw, if anyone wants to buy a pair of original super 7's, or DAS-7's, or Soundlab dynastats, They are all for sale cheap. Just PM me.

Thanks Milehighguy,

I knew that.  :duh:  Speakerlab was the name. Sorry for the confusion. I spoke with the son of the original owner several years ago about using that name on an upcoming design that I was working on and he thought it was pretty cool to use the name and that I remembered that original speaker from many years ago.

Sure man, post some pics of the old original Super-7 for us.

Milehighguy

« Reply #185 on: 23 Sep 2012, 09:15 pm »
OK,
I'll try to post pix of the super7's, and DAS-7's, but give me a day or two, because I'll need to do some archeological excavations in order to dig them out. Sort of like the TV show "American Pickers".
The DAS-7's were my main speakers for many years. DAS stands for "Digital Audio Speakers". This was back when CD players were first hitting the market, and all the audio equiptment was advertised as "digital ready" or capable of handling the new digital format.
Speakerlab was a pioneer in bringing the dream of high quality audio to the common man at reasonable prices through speaker kits. Gr Research is certainly keeping that tradition alive today.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #186 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:56 am »
Thanks Milehighguy,

I knew that.  :duh:  Speakerlab was the name. Sorry for the confusion. I spoke with the son of the original owner several years ago about using that name on an upcoming design that I was working on and he thought it was pretty cool to use the name and that I remembered that original speaker from many years ago.

Sure man, post some pics of the old original Super-7 for us.

I was wondering if that was what you meant Danny . I built a pair of Super 7's back in the day although I didn't do a very good job. They are still in business but they are definitely not the same company they used to be. I had a really bad experience with them and will never go back.

nrenter

« Reply #187 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:52 am »
Danny,

There's some serious competition at that price point. Curious about who you've compared the Super-7's to (side-by-side) and specifically, how the competition stacked up?

Plus, I know you're a Tool man - How do they handle the Laturalus test?

Danny Richie

« Reply #188 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:21 pm »
Danny,

There's some serious competition at that price point. Curious about who you've compared the Super-7's to (side-by-side) and specifically, how the competition stacked up?

Plus, I know you're a Tool man - How do they handle the Laturalus test?

Actually, I don't think there are any speakers out there at this price point or any other that can do what these speakers do. There is really nothing to compare to these.

And they easily handle everything.

sl_1800

« Reply #189 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:36 pm »
Danny I'm looking forward to hearing these this week!!!!   :D

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #190 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:12 pm »
I have got to listen to these myself. :)

danm

« Reply #191 on: 26 Sep 2012, 09:45 pm »
I understand the reason, but still think it sucks balls that some similar versions won't be offered as kits...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #192 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm »
I understand the reason, but still think it sucks balls that some similar versions won't be offered as kits...
I understand your jonesing, BUT the worst thing that an independent designer (which Danny is) can do is to offer a product that is in direct competiton to one that he has designed for one of his customers.  That is just something that is not done.  I do some work for others and I will not come out with a directly competing produuct.  That is not only unethical, but just wrong by my estimation.  Danny has ALWAYS gone out of his way to treat his customers right: ALL of his customers.  That is a very good thing.  That is what makes Danny, Danny.

Dave

studiotech

« Reply #193 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm »
Well, you CAN buy all of the drivers from Danny, so it's a little more DIY than a kit, but it is doable.  They are sold from a new company and their business model does not include selling kits.  Done, over and out. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #194 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:59 pm »
The Neo 3 tweet he is using is custom (probably more efficient to keep up with the 96db mids), so direct cloning is not possible nor is he going to release the xover schematic.

Danny Richie

« Reply #195 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:37 am »
The Neo 3 tweet he is using is custom (probably more efficient to keep up with the 96db mids), so direct cloning is not possible nor is he going to release the xover schematic.

That is all very true.

And the complexity of the cabinet design and wave guide for the tweeter is far outside the ability of the average hobbyist. This one would be a very difficult build to even an expert hobbyist.

And trust me, 90% of the people looking for a speaker at this level are not wanting to build a kit. They want it complete.

oldman45

« Reply #196 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:35 am »
I was wondering if that was what you meant Danny . I built a pair of Super 7's back in the day although I didn't do a very good job. They are still in business but they are definitely not the same company they used to be. I had a really bad experience with them and will never go back.

I remember seeing their ads in the back of Stereo Review and wondering what it would be like to build one of their kits.

morganc

« Reply #197 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
I understand your jonesing, BUT the worst thing that an independent designer (which Danny is) can do is to offer a product that is in direct competiton to one that he has designed for one of his customers.  That is just something that is not done.  I do some work for others and I will not come out with a directly competing produuct.  That is not only unethical, but just wrong by my estimation.  Danny has ALWAYS gone out of his way to treat his customers right: ALL of his customers.  That is a very good thing.  That is what makes Danny, Danny.

Dave

That's an excellent point Dave.  I think the best way to look at this is to raise a toast to Danny's success
:wine: :wine:.  I think it's fantastic that he is opening doors to a more successful future.   As a result, a much broader range of people will get to experience the genius of Danny, a point that many of us here know, and Im sure his success and R and D will trickle down into other models and DIY Kits.  So it's a good situation for everyone :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #198 on: 27 Sep 2012, 01:55 pm »
Upon reading this thread, and re-reading many parts of this thread over and over, I have come to several dead ends in my thinking. 

First, I was super excited about this speaker for Danny.
Second, I was also super excited about this speaker for his customers.
Then came many other thoughts.  It really looks like a GR product.  Which threw me.
Danny deserves to do whatever he wants with his business vision.  Lord knows he does plenty for those of us who buy his kits!!

I think we all know that the price of every flagship product, ESPECIALLY in electronics, really comes down to compensate for the R and D.
The biggest thing about these speakers that I think makes me need to step back is that Danny has provided the golden egg in a reproducable form, meaning his kits.  So seeing a potentially groudbreaking speaker at a sizeable pricepoint, mostly made with parts we see on his website, makes the differentiation between kit and not, almost uncomfortable for me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fully in support of Danny and his involvement in Serenity Acoutics.  I think that will help GR Research in some ways.   

I'm a DIY gr research kit customer, seemingly for life.  So I'm not going anywhere.   And I'm sure everyone else is too. 
I just hope nobody blames Danny for selling knowledge and design in his chosen way. 

Ben

Cheeseboy

« Reply #199 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:06 pm »
Congradulations it looks like a home run for you Danny.  I'm a relatively new customer for GR Research.  I invested in products that you designed for the defunct AV123.   I'm on my second set of GR Designed Speakers.   If it wasn't for you designing for a finished goods speaker company I would have never found GR Research.  The evolution of your designs and new thought with new drivers is wonderful to follow.  As my tastes become more refined so do your creations.  I'm really happy about this venture and wish you the best of luck.  In so many ways your success is mine and ours as well.   

Keep up the good work!

$10K to $20K is out of my price range.  However a Super V with all of the new thought in the Super VII is something I would consider building myself.  It was a scary thought at first but the support of this web site makes it look really attainable. 

Have a really good show.