Anyone still use the AreoPress or something NEW ?

2bigears

:D  Jello coffee sippers.  Is there a better way to make a cup and tech moves on ?  After you burr grind your beans good peeps ,,,, what do you do next for a good cup o joe  :D  :popcorn:
     Thanks good peeps ,,  :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Anyone still use the AreoPress or something NEW ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:04 pm »
I've tried everything and there's no replacement for a good espresso machine. I have a spring-lever "prosumer" type machine.

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:12 pm »
Since we are talking about regular coffee instead of espresso, I use an Aeropress nearly every day at work.  At home I use a Hario Woodneck pourover (https://lifehacker.com/these-brands-are-actually-amazons-in-house-generic-line-1827139731), keeping the cloth filter in the freezer.  The Hario is better/cleaner, but the Aeropress is better than 95% of other coffee out there.  I heat water in the microwave in a glass gravy separator and use that to pour the 200F water into the Aeropress.  I make the coffee very strong (3 scoops for a large mug) using the inverted method  While the coffee steeps, I microwave milk in my heated mug for 45 seconds.  I then invert the Aeropress over the mug, press, and then discard the grounds and rinse out the Aeropress.  Total time is about 2-3 minutes.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2018, 08:43 pm »
 :D 3 scoops ,,,, good lord ,, you don't fool around ,,,,ha.    :D :popcorn:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2018, 08:46 pm »
Well, my new Profitec Pro 500 w/PID will be delivered next Monday. If you’re in the area...

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:09 pm »
I've it not as much as I thought I would. I get my 5 cups out of the Bonavita and I'm just done with coffee for day. I keep hoping to get back to it

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:32 pm »
I used the Aeropress every day for years and years, love that thing.  Lately I've switched to cold brew coffee because it seems to bother my GERD way less.  Also excellent, but very different.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:33 pm »
For the summer time, old school cold brew.

1. One tablespoon of medium roast coffee grinds per 3 oz water in a Ball jar.
2. Refrigerate for 36 hours.
3. Strain through a wet paper coffee filter.
4. Refrigerate the concentrate.
5. Add equal parts concentrate and water to your favorite travel mug filled with ice.
6. Drink.

Repeat 5-6 until jar is empty and then repeat 1-4 until summer is over.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:36 pm »
One thing I found with the Aeropress was I couldn't get it as dark/thick as I liked

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2018, 01:08 pm »
I ordered a Hario woodneck pot to give pour over another try. A friend let me borrow his chemex pot and I couldn't get into the flavor compared to the aeropress. I found the aeropress to be more rich and robust. Not sure if my pouring technique is lacking or if I really do need to measure either the grounds or the water to get the right combination.

For those that prefer the pour over method to the aeropress do you measure how much coffee vs how much water you use for the pour over?

MarkR7

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2018, 01:46 pm »
I use the Aeropress on occasion, especially when I feel like an espresso-like brew, but I prefer coffee from a Clever Coffee Dripper on a daily basis (when not enjoying a cold brewed coffee during the hot summer days).

The Clever is like a pour-over, but let’s you steep the grounds like you would in a press, I.e. 4 minutes. 3 tbl of coffee grounds does it, usually 1tbl of a dark grounds, and 2 tbl of something lighter or flavored; oh, and pour the water no hotter than mid 180s for tastiest results.

Doh, look at the time... time for a cold brew!!

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2018, 02:10 pm »
I roast my own Kona, from a friend who grows it in Hawaii and ships green beans to me.  I've tried lots of stuff, but the Aero Press still makes the best tasting single cup of coffee that I know how to make.

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2018, 05:19 pm »
:D 3 scoops ,,,, good lord ,, you don't fool around ,,,,ha.    :D :popcorn:

That's the secret to getting a strong brew from the Aeropress with enough volume to fill a stand office mug.  You're making a coffee concentrate that you dilute down with milk and hot water.

goskers

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2018, 06:25 pm »
I have used an Aeropress, Bonavita and pour  over with good success. I came to the realization that the accuracy and repeatability that I seek in my life is just not there with these methods. I finally broke down and purchased a Technivorm Moccamaster a while ago. I wish I would have purchased the Technivorm first as I would have been done with it. Very impressive machine. Built very well and just makes good coffee. I make 6 cups in the morning and switch to water thereafter.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2018, 06:38 pm »
Kinu m47 is set at two rotations plus 4 and about 2 ticks on the dial. 24 grams of beans. Plunger on the inverted Aeropress lined up at the 3 mark (sort of like the Brian Beyke "Stubby" recipe). Gooseneck kettle, slow pour right up to the top. I use the S Filter. I don't stir; I flip with the funnel and roll the chamber between my hands to gently agitate for about 35 seconds. I plunge slowly. It takes me too damn long to do everything, but I am a slow poke.

I let my coffee sit in the inverted Aeropress for 25 minutes before I flip. Heresy, I know. I'm waiting for it right now.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2018, 06:42 pm »
I use the Aeropress on occasion, especially when I feel like an espresso-like brew, but I prefer coffee from a Clever Coffee Dripper on a daily basis (when not enjoying a cold brewed coffee during the hot summer days).

The Clever is like a pour-over, but let’s you steep the grounds like you would in a press, I.e. 4 minutes. 3 tbl of coffee grounds does it, usually 1tbl of a dark grounds, and 2 tbl of something lighter or flavored; oh, and pour the water no hotter than mid 180s for tastiest results.

Doh, look at the time... time for a cold brew!!

I ordered one of these as well to try. Thanks for the post!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2018, 07:10 pm »
I have used an Aeropress, Bonavita and pour  over with good success. I came to the realization that the accuracy and repeatability that I seek in my life is just not there with these methods. I finally broke down and purchased a Technivorm Moccamaster a while ago. I wish I would have purchased the Technivorm first as I would have been done with it. Very impressive machine. Built very well and just makes good coffee. I make 6 cups in the morning and switch to water thereafter.

Didn't know there were automatic pour over machines. At least I think that's what the Technivorm Moccamaster does. Thanks for the post!!

And apparently you can chose from a hundred colors. Looks pretty cool!

https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-59616-Coffee-Polished/dp/B0055P70MQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

MarkR7

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2018, 07:10 pm »
I ordered one of these as well to try. Thanks for the post!

Hope you enjoy it like I have for the past couple of years! I have two of them...

I like to give the grounds a stir with a whisk at the 30 second mark of the 4 minute soak. And I like to use organic bamboo #4 filters, but that’s just my preference. Experiment with what will work best for you!

Keep us posted!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2018, 05:50 pm »
Hope you enjoy it like I have for the past couple of years! I have two of them...

I like to give the grounds a stir with a whisk at the 30 second mark of the 4 minute soak. And I like to use organic bamboo #4 filters, but that’s just my preference. Experiment with what will work best for you!

Keep us posted!

Thanks, will do.

I also ordered a Kalita Wave as I’ve read it’s not as hard to get right with every cup as the Hario and Chemex can be. I got their filters as well but they may not arrive until a week from today.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5KPSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2018, 06:13 pm »

Yup, my parents have one... if you don't want to deal with an espresso machine this would be my next choice.

But for all coffee enthusiasts, see if you can find a shop that prepares their coffee in different ways and try them, buy the same beans and see what results you get at home. Most likely, it will be a rude awakening and cost you money, but at least you can gauge how you're doing. I've always wanted an espresso machine but doing this has proven to me that other methods of making coffee are massively inferior for my tastes.