No phono preamp!!

Charles Calkins

No phono preamp!!
« on: 16 Oct 2018, 09:09 pm »

Hi Guys:
       Please bear with me when I tell you this story. I have an amp a preamp Cd player and a Cambridge Stream magic music server.
       I have a couple of turntables. One is a Stanton T90 USB. It has a coax digital out. My Cambridge has a coax in.
        Today I hooked the T 90 to the Cambridge using a coax digital cable. I did not know how it would work.
       Believe it or night it works and with no phono preamp. Sounds pretty good.  I don't understand how it works but it does
        Has anybody heard a story like this? I never did. Guess I just got lucky doing this.

Cheers
                                                                Charlie

WC

Re: No phono preamp!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2018, 09:23 pm »
That turntable has a phono preamp and also an analog-to-digital converter. They are just built in to the turntable. Good that you are happy with the sound.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2018, 09:46 pm »
No magic Charles just built-ins. :icon_lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:06 pm »
That turntable has a phono preamp and also an analog-to-digital converter. They are just built in to the turntable. Good that you are happy with the sound.

The T 90 does not have a built in phono preamp. The phono/line L&R out is the standard analog output RCA  cables are to be hooked up
                     to a preamp with a phono  section. Or a DJ mixer depending on the settings.

Cheers
                                                                    Charlie

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm »
                    The T 90 does not have a built in phono preamp. The phono/line L&R out is the standard analog output RCA  cables are to be hooked up
                     to a preamp with a phono  section. Or a DJ mixer depending on the settings.

Cheers
                                                                    Charlie

When you use the digital output of the turntable the signal first passes through the built in phono pre and and then the A/D converter. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:16 pm »
And the factory specs say "line output"... which means that the signal from the cartridge has to be boosted-- which has to be with an internal preamp.
But I could be missing something.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm »
Just by the fact that it has a phono/line out, means that it has a phono preamp. Otherwise there would not be a line out. They both use RCA connections. There is also a switch to determine which setting you would like to use.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2018, 10:32 pm »
Just by the fact that it has a phono/line out, means that it has a phono preamp. Otherwise there would not be a line out. They both use RCA connections. There is also a switch to determine which setting you would like to use.
   I know that. I've spent an hour or more trying to get the hang of this thing. If I change the switch position it doesn't make any difference.
    I'm Guessing the switch position has nothing to do with the coax cable out to the Cambridge.

Cheers

Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2018, 06:33 am »

Hi Guys:
        One thing I did not tell you about the no phono preamp. Originally I had it hooked up to a receiver
         that had a phono section. Worked fine. When I hooked it up to the Cambridge by a coax cable
          I did not reset any switches or other things. Really don't know why it works but I'm happy.

Cheers
                                                     Charlie

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:35 pm »
Hi Charles,

These are all Hanpin turntables from China and they all operate the same way.  The SPDIF output is unaffected by the switch, it feeds digital signal out from the internal phono pre amp through the internal ADC to your outboard DAC streamer.  The switch operates only on the analog output either using the internal phono pre and outputing a line level signal, or outputing an unequalized signal to an outboard phono pre, depending on where the switch is positioned.  Hope that helps.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2018, 03:57 pm »
Hi Charles,

These are all Hanpin turntables from China and they all operate the same way.  The SPDIF output is unaffected by the switch, it feeds digital signal out from the internal phono pre amp through the internal ADC to your outboard DAC streamer.  The switch operates only on the analog output either using the internal phono pre and outputing a line level signal, or outputing an unequalized signal to an outboard phono pre, depending on where the switch is positioned.  Hope that helps.
  Thank you for the explanation. Something I never read or heard of anybody using a coax cable  on a turntable.
   Learn something new every day. I don't think consumer turntables have a coax cable jack. My T90 is a DJ turntable.
   I guess that is why it has coax jack, Anyhow the darn thing sounds pretty darn good. Plus the newest version of the
    turntable cost around $200.00. Comes with a cartridge. Can't beat that.

Thank you
                                                                             Cheers
                                                                             Charlie

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

Charles Calkins

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2018, 06:40 pm »
How much is one of those turntables?

I always wanted an old Numark belt drive for fun.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2018, 08:49 pm »
How much is one of those turntables?

I always wanted an old Numark belt drive for fun.

I'm not 100% sure but I think around $250 or something near there.

Cheers
                                                              Charlie

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2018, 12:26 am »
Edit: wrong thread.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm »
All the Stanton, Audio Technica, MCX, Pioneer PX 1000, and several others are made by Hanpin in China.  They offer everything from $100 tables to the $700 Pioneer and top line Audio Technica.  The USB tables come in two flavors, cheap and slightly cheap.  Neither offers much in the way of specs, but they play music without ruining any cartridges or records.  The digital out is not high res, somewhere around Redbook if I remember correctly.  My brother uses the AT brand for converting his lps to digital and loves it.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:33 pm »
All the Stanton, Audio Technica, MCX, Pioneer PX 1000, and several others are made by Hanpin in China.  They offer everything from $100 tables to the $700 Pioneer and top line Audio Technica.  The USB tables come in two flavors, cheap and slightly cheap.  Neither offers much in the way of specs, but they play music without ruining any cartridges or records.  The digital out is not high res, somewhere around Redbook if I remember correctly.  My brother uses the AT brand for converting his lps to digital and loves it.

Hi Guy:
          The coax cable out is connected to a Cambridge Stream magic 6. It has Dual Wolfson WM 8740  24 bit  Dacs.
           Maybe that is because of the Dual Dac's my T90 turntable sounds so good. Maybe??????

Cheers
                                                            Charlie