3 Big scores.....at least for me.

Wayner

Re: 3 Big scores.....at least for me.
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2009, 07:10 pm »
I have that version of CTTE by Friday. It's OK, but it aint no MOFI.

By the way, I just made 6 big scores. All Brand new albums. A local "head shop" started selling albums in the back. I couldn't believe it. I had to use the back door so no one in town thinks I smoke dope.

Here is the list:

Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen - II
Queen - A Day at the Races
Radiohead - OK Computer
David Gilmore - On an Island
Dead Can Dance - same

Dan (the salesman) also gave me a nice discount plus 4 other records (3) 45's and 1 10"

The 10" is:

Kasabian - Fire

The 3 45's are:

311 - Hey You
Dave Mathews Band - Funny the way it is
St. Vincent - Actor out of work.

Beer and tunes all afternoon, then T-bone steaks on the grill.

Wayner :)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:54 pm »
MAN! You are getting the deals! :thumb:
Well I'm listening to CTTE and it's one of the worst pressings ever. Bright, harsh, noisy, rolled off bottom. ARGHlantic crapiola. I will now begin the quest for the MoFi. :drool: I remember back in the day thinking "How can they put so much into the music and not back it up with excellent production." Now I realize the junk I have been listening to. :duh:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2009, 09:15 pm »
I had to use the back door so no one in town thinks I smoke dope.

But we all know better..... :jester:

Nice score on the Lp's Wayner....David Gilmore - "On an Island"....a new copy...at discount...very nice !! :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2009, 09:54 pm »
Thanks Wolfy,

Gilmore's album is awesome. Have your heard the Live in Gadnisk?

Wayner

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2009, 10:15 pm »
Thanks Wolfy,

Gilmore's album is awesome. Have your heard the Live in Gadnisk?

Wayner
Yes....heard on Cd....it's another good one. :wink:

orthobiz

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:51 am »
Well I'm listening to CTTE and it's one of the worst pressings ever. Bright, harsh, noisy, rolled off bottom. ARGHlantic crapiola.

Atlantic CTTE with the textured cover AND look for a tiny "AT/GP" somewhere in the dead wax (George Piros engineer). My early copy still sounds good!

Check out this thread:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=123413

Paul
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2009, 01:03 pm by orthobiz »

ohenry

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:00 pm »
Never heard of Friday Music, apparently they have an audiophile version of Close To The Edge, cannot vouch for the sound:

http://www.fridaymusic.com/

Paul

This may be worth $20 to find out how it sounds.  I've not been content with any of the Atlantic versions of CTTE.  :(

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:44 pm »
I've listened to everything but the Queen LPs, that I'm just starting now. They are on Hollywood records and I think they did a good job on the remasters, but they do sound a bit different. I may have to listen to my originals before I make further comment. I hope these dumb bastards aren't remastering from the digital domain. Inotherwords, go get the original 2 track tape masters and recut. You also have to use good tube stuff.

So far, the David Gilmore LP wins hands down in sonic virtue. I highly recommend it for it's audiophile quality. I also think that the Radiohead OK Computer is a great recording. The Dead Can Dance is a darker recording, but I have never heard this band before and need to get more aquanted with it. It's a nice 180 gram record as are the Gilmore and Radiohead LPs.

Actually the artwork and everything is really done well on all of the albums. Here is a good idea. Hollywood records, lose the stupid paper sleeves and put the nice plastic sleeves like MOFI. I have purchased hundreds of MOFI sleeves and use them in all of my LPs. Throw that paper shit away. All they do is scratch the records.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2009, 08:00 pm »
On a software binge, just scored the very scarce and rare Thomas Dolby - Astronauts and Heretics from a gal in England. I was impressed with the speed of shipment. I bought it on the 26th of June and it came in the mail today. The album is very  minty.

Due in today is my replacement David Gilmore - On An Island and the box set Pink Floyd - Echos. Can't wait.\

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:00 am »
this is in my to score list  :lol:

Artist :    Bad Company
Title :    Bad Company - 180 Gram
Media :    LP
Price :    $22.95
    Audiophile 180-gram vinyl edition of the supergroup's 1974 chart-topping debut LP. Pressed at RTI.Original album was first-ever release on Led Zeppelin's Swan Song imprint. Features the legendary line-up of Paul Rodgers, Mick Ralphs, Simon Kirke and Boz Burrell. Includes the hit singles "Can't Get Enough" and "Movin' On."Plus the signature classics "Rock Steady," "Ready For Love" and the title track.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #30 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:17 am »
I found this in a flea market in Spain while on vacation earlier this year.  The sticker on it says " Sample Record- Not For Sale...." is this a promo version given to radio stations?  Gave 3 euros for it.
It is the original version, not the remastered. 

orthobiz

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:08 am »
I found this in a flea market in Spain while on vacation earlier this year.  The sticker on it says " Sample Record- Not For Sale...." is this a promo version given to radio stations?  Gave 3 euros for it.
It is the original version, not the remastered. 

Can you show us an actual photo? Is the sticker on the album cover? Is the label on the record white? Does the record indicate it was pressed overseas?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jul 2009, 09:41 pm »
I think you can goggle the album number and find almost anything you want about it. I also have many promo albums. Paul, I'll bet it was pressed in Germany. Most of my Dire Straights came from Germany. Good find.

I found "Once Upon a Time" by Simple Minds when I was in Wisconsin over the 4th. Really clean. I'm on a roll.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:32 am »
It's late so I'll get to the photos tomorrow, but the record label shows a scene with two flying saucers in a starry sky.  On side one, there is a white sticker over the label that says in red letters "SAMPLE RECORD-NOT FOR SALE   Warning: He who offers this for sale infringes copyright" The album cover has the same sticker on the upper back right.  The only reference to origin is a small statement "Printed in The Netherlands" on the back lower right corner. 

orthobiz

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2009, 02:08 pm »
It's late so I'll get to the photos tomorrow...

Cool. I think this stuff is really interesting. I picked up a German pressing of Todd Rundgren's "Runt" this past week. It says Made In Germany in a few places (record label and cover).

Up until now, I had (unwittingly) bought a bootleg, of all things, back in the 70's when it was out of print. For maybe 1.99! I know this because it does not have the word "Sterling" stamped in the deadwax. What a dreadful sounding record, the German pressing is much better.

Always wondered how much money could someone possibly make bootlegging an LP.

Paul