Get rid of the static!

AliG

Get rid of the static!
« on: 23 Apr 2008, 03:40 pm »
I know this is not a new topic.. but I am dumbfounded by the people who design turntables. We all know that static buildup during playback is an issue, but how come in the last 100 years, few people come up with turntables that have some kind of mechanism to get rid of the static during playback?? :scratch: :scratch:

I am tempted to just hang a piece of fabric softener paper close to the platter  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2008, 04:47 pm by woodsyi »

AliG

Re: Get rid of the static!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:48 pm »
Can you apply this anti-static gun during playback? Probably not.. :wink:

Take your best shot(s) at this gun. :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zerostat-3-Anti-Static-Gun-by-Discwasher_W0QQitemZ320242637290QQcmdZViewItem

HChi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:55 pm »
You can probably find a table top anti-static fan. I know some vinylphile have de-static soft current blew over the table while playback. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2008, 07:07 pm »
Can you apply this anti-static gun during playback? Probably not.. :wink:

Take your best shot(s) at this gun. :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zerostat-3-Anti-Static-Gun-by-Discwasher_W0QQitemZ320242637290QQcmdZViewItem

No, you don't want to zap while you are spinning.    :wink: Usually a zap before playing prevents static from building up while you are playing 1 side.  If your room is that bad, you can address your room with dissipative rubber and wear something like this whenever you approach your TT. :lol:

andyr

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2008, 10:08 pm »
I know this is not a new topic.. but I am dumbfounded by the people who design turntables. We all know that static buildup during playback is an issue, but how come in the last 100 years, few people come up with turntables that have some kind of mechanism to get rid of the static during playback?? :scratch: :scratch:

I am tempted to just hang a piece of fabric softener paper close to the platter  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I have absolutely no problem with static ... so I can't understand why TT mfrs should "design in" some kind of mechanism to get rid of static during playback?   :?

But then again, the first thing I do to any LP I get hold of (used or new) is treat it with Permostat before Nitty Grittying it.  One application of Permostat lasts forever (well, at least 20 years, so far!).  :D

Regards,

Andy

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:20 am »
Please tell us more about "Permostat".

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:34 am »
Please tell us more about "Permostat".

Hi Hank,

It's been around for decades.  Google "Permostat" or "Milty" (the mfr).  I bought my last lot from Mantra Audio in the UK (www.mantra-audio.co.uk).  It was 6 refills for about 51 UK pounds (including shipping).  You need to buy a "starter kit" the first time ... to get the pad and spray bottle which you use to apply the Permostat.

Good luck,

Andy

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:15 pm »
'Gruv-Glide' , works wonders, IMO.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:57 pm »
Static is certainly the age old nemesis of the vinylphool that is really tough to beat. It's like killing germs, like.....it can't be done. However, it can be managed to a point. I have found that MOFI polysleeves seem to help a little. I also use the Milty Zerostat with some success, Although, I think sometimes it makes it worse. I think dragging a stylus across vinyl creates static so there you go. I use a lightly misted Discwasher brush to pick up lint before each play and that seems to help. I swipe the stylus with a small brush before each play. Ever look at your dust cover in the sunlight? it's should be called a dust collector insted. Maybe I'll try groove glide but I just don't like the idea of putting stuff on the grooves.

Wayner

AliG

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:05 pm »
some people on audiogon complained that the Gruv-Glide makes their record sounding dull though...   :roll: