what record cleaner is good enough !!!!

2bigears

what record cleaner is good enough !!!!
« on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:04 am »
 :D  please advise on a record cleaner as i don't want to over spend as per normal.the big Nitty-Gritty's are 800 bucks and the VPI 16.5 machine is 500 bucks,,,,are they all the same-kinda ???? got 300 records to clean....thks  Pat :D
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 01:18 am by 2bigears »

TheChairGuy

Re: what record cleaner is good enough !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:00 am »
Cheapest Nitty Gritty does the same job as the $800 one....you're just more convenience as you go up the line.  The woman that owns them in So. Cal (forgot her name) will tell you just that...she's very refreshing, actually.

If you already own a vacuum cleaner, KABUSA.com makes a unit for $169 where you supply your own sucker....and save a bundle it doing so.  It is made by Nitty Gritty for KAB. It likely works swell and has the added benefit of allowing the noisy vacuum motor further away from your ears when you use the RCM.

John
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 01:54 pm by TheChairGuy »

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:19 am »
:D  thks John,you just saved me some loot,and i like the idea of using your own sucker as that part of the process is easy to make.Teres website shows you how to make the whole thing,but i am too lazy for that....thks brother   Pat :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:19 pm »
Sure Pat...canisters have more suction than uprights, typically, but they all will work with the KAB EV-1 unit.  If you don't have a canister there, one can buy an old Eureka Mighty Mite or Hoover Portapower or Constellation units (relatively small canisters without powerheads) for under $50 on ebay oftentimes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Good-Used-Eureka-Mighty-Mite-Cannister-Vacuum_W0QQitemZ190215064692QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are quite hardy and plenty of suction for record cleaning. They work great on bare floors, too  :)

I worked for 6 years in the vacuum business 1988-1994 for a couple companies - it's not that I'm a domestic goddess  :icon_lol:

There's a plethora of good cleaning product out there from the nearly free to the quite expensive....they all work to some degree because the record cleaning machine pulls out from the grooves and dries up all that the cleaners agitate from the grooves.

This post will help you on your way to deciding which cleaners to buy: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3377.0

My current cleaning regimen is...

1.  Clean with carbon fibre brush
2.  Use LAST Power Cleaner
3.  Use LAT International Kleer-Disk (cleaner and anti-bacterial) on the Nitty Gritty
4.  Apply LAST Record Preservative
5.  Clean with carbon fibre brush again
6.  Place in new (poly-lined) sleeve

My stylus is brushed every few sides with the brush that comes with Stylast (by LAST) and then Stylast itself (in conjunction with Record Preservative, it reduces friction, and future record noise, quite well)

Then, I just enjoy 'em as I'll never repeat this arduous procedure ever again in the record's lifetime...

Ciao, John

spacedghost

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2008, 05:54 pm »
John

With steps 1&5 do you use the same brush? 

My routine is very similar minus the second brush step.

Thanks
Shaun

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:25 pm »
John

With steps 1&5 do you use the same brush? 

My routine is very similar minus the second brush step.

Thanks
Shaun

Hey Shaun,

Step 1 - specific carbon fibre brush (just to take excess heavy dust/dirt off...a pre-clean if you will)

Step 2 - I use the velour applicator that LAST provides for the power cleaner (this is really good stuff)

Step 3 - I use an old Trackmate Record cleaner brush (natural cotton)

Step 4 - I use the velour applicator that LAST Provides (I cannot ever ascertain whether the record is preserved better with this product, I have found zero indication that it is any quieter after application, I am going on significant faith that it does indeed strengthen the groove walls from further destruction on subsequent plays)

Step 5 - Use the carbon fibre brush again and put it in a new poly lined sleeve.

John

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2008, 06:35 pm »
A bit pricey I know but I use the Loricraft PRC-3 for 2 good reasons

1 it does an amazing job.

2 it’s very quiet, it does not drive you mad like the rest of the cleaners on the market. 8)

Just for the fact that it’s quiet, it worth the money. I can clean a record and still listen to another record in the same room now that is good, just try doing that with other cleaners.

http://www.smartdev.com/loricraft.html

Chris

spacedghost

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:29 pm »
John,

Thank you for the clarification on the steps (amazing what we go through for bliss).

2bigears

I have the  KAB EV-1  and it works great.  I use our dyson without issue.

Shaun

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2008, 03:08 am »
 :D  well i did it again,went right ahead a scooped a VPI 16.5 cleaner.But,can you guys please link me up with those brushes and cleaners.John,do you clean the big black disc once and only once ???? is that what i am reading ?? clean it really good once and that's it ???? keeping the stylus clean also is a must,is there a cleaner for that also ???? thks. may have the record player tomorrow.i just bought ZZ TOP Tres Hombres in 180g vinyl  :drool: and remastered cd form,,,, which will win  :scratch: ???? this is fun....thks  Pat :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2008, 03:32 am »
Pat,

Once and only once do I deep clean with vacuum....or at least I'm not old enough yet at 45 to re-visit with further cleanings yet  :wink:

Once you get the in bedded gunk out (from prior plays or the manufacturing process itself), I haven't heard additional benefit from vacuum cleaning.

I just clean with carbon fibre brush before every play, play it (in itself removing some light dust that might have settled in grooves out) and return to pristine sleeve.  I haven't at least heard additional benefit from further cleanings...others may disagree, of course  :)

Being deaf, dumb and blind has it's occasional perks  :lol:  (please note this is self-deprecation humor.....and not a slight at the truly misfortunate in society)

John

MLS

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:06 pm »
I use the kab also and I really like it considering it only set me back $100.   I then use a carbon fiber brush before each playing.