Woohoo! I just got me anuther rekurd player!

eric the red

Woohoo! I just got me anuther rekurd player!
« on: 5 May 2007, 10:55 pm »
A VPI HW-JR Mk4. Easily resellable :green: under my $1k budget with nice Benz cartridge and rewired with Kimber Kable . Seller even threw in some Pink Floyd/REM LPs on 180 gram vinyl. :hyper:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1183507060

Whitese

Re: Woohoo! I just got me anuther rekurd player!
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2007, 11:02 pm »
i was pondering that table myself...let us know what you think of that cart...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2007, 12:03 am »
Got one myself, little different version though.

Curious about those feet, did those come from VPI or are aftermarket? My 'table just has cheap rubber feet on the bottom, but has those T-nuts for screwing in cones...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2007, 01:50 am »
What's a A VPI HW-JR Mk4?  I know there is a HW-19 Jr., Mark III, and Mark IV (I presume there was a Mark II sometime, as well).

Looks purdy, tho, ETR  :thumb:

I've got a Mk. III sitting idle now witha bum Rega  :(

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2007, 02:37 am »
What's a A VPI HW-JR Mk4?  I know there is a HW-19 Jr., Mark III, and Mark IV (I presume there was a Mark II sometime, as well).

Looks purdy, tho, ETR  :thumb:

I've got a Mk. III sitting idle now witha bum Rega  :(

IV is 4 in Rome 8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2007, 02:41 am »
Yeah, I know my Roman numerals (well, most of them at least...except when they get into the teens XIV and such onward  :wink:)

You said you bought a VPI HW-JR Mk4.  There's a VPI HW-19 Mk. IV(4) and a VPI HW-19 Jr.  What and which do you have?  Not that it matters much if it works for you, but it took my a while to get all the HW models....and this one threw a monkey wrench into my prior understanding of what they are/were  :scratch:

eric the red

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2007, 02:52 am »
I have no idea what the various models of VPI TTs mean/are. I was just looking for something well built with a good cartridge for @$800.00...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2007, 03:06 am »
What's the plate say on the backside of the deck?  I assume it started out life as a Jr., and enough upgrades went into it to merit a Mk. IV status.  The HW-19 were, and are, quite upgradeable.

The Jr. was like $700 new, the Mk. III was $1200 and the Mk. IV was $1800.00.  Your buying heavier plinths, platters, upgraded bearings and assorted other stuff as you move up the line on these venerable, well-built, good sounding decks.

I'm not so sure the Scout's that replaced them in the line are all-in-all better - they are easier to build, more modern in appearance and a smaller package (as you've noticed it's a damn large fella' at some 16 x 22" or so - it doesn't fit on my otherwise spacaious top rack oof my steel Target rack).

I paid $800 used (no cartridge) for my Mk. III with Hot-Wired Rega 250 arm(VTA, Expressimo stub and counterweight ...but the arm was botch-wired so it needs an expensive fixin' now. No cartridge with mine...so I'd say you done did good, my man.

I think you got the analog-disease realllll bad now  :D

I think it's just friggin' great that this Circle is so busy nowadays !!!(I think it all coincided with 'lcrim' as co-mod - he's the lucky charm here)
« Last Edit: 6 May 2007, 03:19 am by TheChairGuy »

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2007, 03:12 am »
Hey!

ETR, congratulation on your new TT. :D That VPI should last you many years to come.

Also, I check out the agon link... I don't know what kind of arm is that but that cart that came with you TT is Benz Micro "ACE" HO version. The same one I have on my TT right now! That cart alone is $450 new with trade-in. A very lovely cart :D

I think you will be in for a treat! Enjoy your new TT and let us know how you like it. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2007, 04:13 am »
from the looks of the pic on agon, it seems you have the  hw-19 mk4.  nice deck for the price...

enjoy!   :thumb:

doug s.

I have no idea what the various models of VPI TTs mean/are. I was just looking for something well built with a good cartridge for @$800.00...

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2007, 10:13 pm »
That is a Jr. The Agon Ad says Jr.
A MKIII has a separate arm board with a ss steel acrylic or MDF topped plinth, also a black acrylic and lead platter at 13lbs..
The MKIV has a different larger bearing and an even heavier platter with the separate arm board

I originally had a MKIII. I got rid of it because the upgrade path is ridiculously expensive and you could get a new different table for the price. Actually, you can get the upgraded model cheaper at times than going the upgrade path. With the Jr.you are stuck with the arm the table is drilled for.

Very nice table though. I liked mine when I had it with a souped up Rega RB300.
I just got the bug to change things.

Den

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2007, 11:07 pm »
Is that a Sumiko MMT on there?

Yes, it looks like a Jr. platter. However, Eric, if you are so inclined...you can put a MKlll platter on there and take it up a notch for reasonable $'s. I think you'll like it as is, though. Loved mine.

WEEZ