What LPs have you listened to recently?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #6980 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:47 am »
Thanks for your reply, Neo.  Saw Trane several times at The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco around the time (the 60's) he was recording on the Impulse label.  I am a huge fan.  Sitting in my car in Dallas I was, listening to jazz on the radio when his death was announced.  Last live date I attended was at Smalls in NYC.  Looked for jazz clubs in San Francisco as recently as November on a birthday trip from me to me.  It isn't like it used to be out there.  Disappointing is what it was like.

In what part of the country do you live?  For some reason I am thinking New Jersey.  Recently I have been circulating albums amongst members and friends in The Houston Audio Society by NJ bassist Harvie Swartz.  I am sorta in demand around here cause of my record collection.  Guys record my albums to their computers and always copy me a disc for their appreciation and prosperity.

I only saw Trane once in '66 at Temple Univ (I'm in Philly).  It was kind of disappointing. He was sick and didn't play much.  Most of the set was a secession of horn players doing the avant guarde  thing, and doing it poorly IMO.  Trane came out near the end and made sense of it all.  The guy could talk to you through his horn, and talk to you where you could hear actual words and feel the emotion.  In this case it was pain and spirituality.   

Funny you should mention Harvie Swartz.  The guy can play.  He went to Berkley School of Music.  He might have lived in Philly for awhile.  He played some gigs here years ago with a bad singer (Sheila something?) and some piano player.  I saw him in NY once, at Bradleys I think, maybe with Kenny Barron.  I used to have an LP with him and Kenny called "Now Was the Time".  Good record, unfortunately I lost it in the great storage place flood along with 1400 others.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6981 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:50 am »

1960 Blue Note

This is Freddie's first album and it's a great one.  Lee Morgan had a couple of years head start at Blue Note and Freddie wanted to make a splash.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6982 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm »
Neo, that singer would have been Sheila Jordan.  Her voice is very pure, actually, but her vocalization and expressiveness with only a bass player can be challenging.  Shoot me a PM with your address and I will send you a copy on disc made for me by a friend of their album "Old Time Feeling" on the PAI label.  A most excellent recording, too, and I think it will give a different appreciation of her.  Swartz is stunningly good.     

Love those crab cakes at Di Nardo's, but there is an AC member in Baltimore that says I haven't lived until I've tried theirs.  Also, do yourself a favor and get a hold of Kenny Barron's "Live at Fat Tuesday's" with a quintet.  As you already know, he is a very versatile player sometimes backing up singers, even, but on this one it's balls to the wall I can assure you.  It positively flies!  On CD, as well.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6983 on: 15 Apr 2014, 10:55 pm »

1963 Blue Note

From the cover this looks like a big group, but it's actually two sessions.  Straight up hard bop and a classic from Hank.
neo

P.S. I neglected to mention how much I like this LP.  Hank didn't get the recognition he deserved.  Dexter Gordon called him the middleweight champ for that reason.  This record grooves.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6984 on: 15 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm »

1960 Blue Note

Donald Byrd is another under appreciated musician.  Later in his career he stretched out and did some conglomeration type stuff that I couldn't relate to, but the guy could play the trumpet.  This is Byrd at his lyrical best as he soars. 
This is another album where Jackie McLean and Hank Mobley play on different cuts, and the same for Doug Watkins and Reggie Workman. 
neo 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6985 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:52 pm »

1974 SteepleChase

Tete deserves a giant picture.  This is a fantastic album.  The trio includes Niels Henning Orsted Pederson and Tootie Heath.  Do yourself a favor.....
neo

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6986 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:41 pm »

Doc

Airborn

« Reply #6987 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm »
Neil Young, Live at the Cellar Door

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6988 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:03 pm »

Plus, Elgar's Enigma Variations- Pierre Monteux and the London Sym (RCA) and
the most "organic" sounding performance and recording that I believe I've ever heard:  Carmina Burana by The Clementic Consort on the Musical Heritage Society label.  This would be the rarer volume 2 originally released on Harmonia Mundi, I believe.  I can't think of another word that describes what I hear from this it's so honest and real sounding. 
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2014, 01:01 am by jimdgoulding »

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6989 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:35 pm »

My first love, and the beginning of my fascination with the female voice.

Doc

PierreB

« Reply #6990 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:40 am »

mav52

« Reply #6991 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm »
A old Yardbirds LP ( Not the first scratch on the vinyl ) I've owned this LP since the 1967. Still sounds pretty good on the old Micro
[/URL][/img]

Label:
Epic ‎– LN 24210
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6992 on: 27 Apr 2014, 08:01 pm »

1968 Prestige

Nice mixed bag of ballads and bop.  Blue Mitchell on trumpet and George Coleman on tenor are the front line.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6993 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:28 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6994 on: 2 May 2014, 02:04 pm »

1966 Blue Note

This is a quintet with Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins.  Two cuts "Yesterday" and "Sunrise Sunset" are played by a bigger group that includes French horn, trombone, alto, bass clarinet, arranged by Oliver Nelson.  This version of Sunrise has become a classic and the quintet tunes are... delightful.
neo

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6995 on: 5 May 2014, 02:33 am »

Dylan - Time Out of Mind

Roscoe,

How is this? For some unknown reason I never bought this. Thanks

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6996 on: 5 May 2014, 02:33 am »

Toni Rambold

« Reply #6997 on: 6 May 2014, 05:59 pm »

I like Sheila ...  :wink:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6998 on: 14 May 2014, 12:36 pm »

1982 Stash Records

Some might know Adam Makowicz from a Sheffield direct to disc LP.  Stash is or was an obscure label from Brooklyn.  This is from a live date in Manhattan and Adam sounds amazingly like Art Tatum.  The first two tunes on the album, "This Can't be Love", and "Yesterdays"  were often played by Art and it's a bit uncanny.  Adam's right hand sound exactly like Art.  George Mraz (superb player) on the bass gives the record a more modern feel than Art's solo versions.  Nice session.

Sorry for the crummy photo.  I couldn't find it anywhere.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6999 on: 14 May 2014, 12:46 pm »