Fine Tuning?

VintageUser

Fine Tuning?
« on: 10 Jan 2020, 03:19 pm »
I have a Yamaha  RX A730 AV Receiver, Energy Connoisseur speakers:  CF-50 towers, ESW-C10 powered subwoofer, CB-10 rears, and CC-10 center. I would like other's opinion on the quality of this system, and what are some set up or modifications I should perform.

Thanks.

Wind Chaser

Re: Fine Tuning?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:09 pm »
I’m not familiar with any of your gear. As long as you enjoy the system, what other people think of it doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t matter.

As for fine tuning / getting the most out any system, it is important to situate your speakers and listening chair in the best possible position. Start with an equilateral triangle keeping your speakers as far from the front and side walls as possible. Ideally the listening position should also be as far as possible from the back wall. That’s why larger rooms are preferable to smaller rooms. In smaller rooms one can compensate with judicious room treatment; that doesn’t have to break the bank if you take a DIY approach.

There are other simple things one can do that make a difference, like positioning the speakers so the tweeters are level to the ears. Also try putting a felt around the perimeter of the tweeter to eliminate diffraction. I use home made ground loops which, although system dependant can make a positive contribution.

Doing these kind of things doesn’t have to cost a lot of money but it sure makes a difference.  :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:21 pm »
  Well some basics might help First CLEAN every connection with De-Oxit Listen again then; Room measurement and treatment [ if possible] After results consider if possible changing speaker position. Power conditioning. Dedicated 20A line. Cabling ? No need to mod gear. Spiking or de-coulping speakers. Footers under gear.
 Older Receivers benefit from power conditioners and resonance control [ footers]. Cleaning every contact will surprise you.

charles

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2020, 08:06 pm »
I agree with the suggestions above. A AC conditioner would be a good start. Lots of pollution on the power lines. There are DIY options like the Felix. If you have a disc player for DVD's/Blu-rays and CD's a good cable between receiver and player would be worthwhile.

VintageUser

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2020, 03:20 pm »
All:  Thanks for the suggestions.  Since I am a beginner from a technical standpoint, I wouldn't have thought of any of these.  I'll begin with power correction and go from there.

Putting felt around the tweeters- around the entire speaker, or only on the face of the cabinet where the speaker is mounted?

Again, thanks.

VintageUser

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:56 am »
Is the liquid or spray De Oxit better?

Does anyone have a suggestion for an AC filter?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2020, 06:34 am »
As long as you enjoy the system, what other people think of it doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t matter.
+1

An good AC Filter will cost more than this receiver, not to mention an AC regenerator.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2020, 08:48 am by FullRangeMan »

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:45 pm »

Putting felt around the tweeters- around the entire speaker, or only on the face of the cabinet where the speaker is mounted?
  • Put the felt or high density foam around the tweeter. I used foam on my old Von Schweikert VR2 speakers because that is what I had. It made a big difference.

• Damping the inside of the speakers with No Rex also cleans up the sound, since each speaker only weighs 39 lbs each there is not much bracing and the sides vibrate. As a point of reference, my speakers are the same size as the Energy Connoisseur CF-50 Tower Speaker and weigh 100 lbs each, they have thick sides and well damped so only the cones vibrate and not the entire speaker. Doing both tweeter felt and No Rez will greatly increase clarity.
http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

• Stick non-hardening modeling clay on the woofer baskets while the speakers are removed for the No Rez install. This easy tweak also increases clarity and is practically free, it takes about 1/3 lb per speaker so you will need 2 lbs.

Frank Van Alstine first wrote about this tweak in the very first Audio Basics newsletter, Volume One Number One, January 1982, which is still available on the Audio by Van Alstine website, and it is still as valid today as it was 38 years ago. The results were just as Frank described with the sound now clearer, less colored, quicker, and smoother.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2619/1634/files/Audio_Basics_complete_set.zip?17120385908620469744

VintageUser

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2020, 02:17 pm »
WGH: Thanks for the good information with pictures.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:57 pm »
I most definitely agree about dampening the speakers but that seems like a hell of a lot of clay on the baskets!!!  :o

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2020, 08:09 pm »
I most definitely agree about dampening the speakers but that seems like a hell of a lot of clay on the baskets!!!  :o

Working with the clay is like being a kid again, once you start you can't stop.  :)

I noticed the price of the Energy Connoisseur CF-50 speakers are $151.99 each at Newegg. Even though No Rez is an excellent damping product there is a cheaper alternative since the CF-50 are, after all, a budget speaker.

I have used both No Rez and a DIY method on different speaker projects and you may like the DIY cost savings. No Rez is basically a heavy hard rubber sheet with open cell foam attached to an adhesive backing. The DIY damping is a lot more work and messy but does come with a substantial cost savings.

The DIY method uses 2 layers of self stick vinyl floor tile from Home Depot, 1" open cell foam from a neighborhood fabric store, and 2 cans of 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. My first test with the floor tile was hit and miss, some tiles stuck and some pieces fell off the next day, the addition of the 3M adhesive on both sides of the tile worked like a champ and gets stronger with age. I used the 3M adhesive to attach the 1" foam too.

5 - 24" x 27" sheets of No Rez costs $224.75 + shipping.
5 - 20" x 30" sheets open cell foam, self stick vinyl tile, 3M adhesive cost $84

The cost difference between the No Rez and the DIY method was $140.75.

You should do the CC-10 center speaker first (add another sheet of No Rez to the order). Dialog clarity will be enhanced.