Four DACs - Thumbnail Sketch

denjo

Re: Four DACs - Thumbnail Sketch
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:21 am »
The Altmann is very sensitive to power source; I have tried wallwart, SLA battery and Paul Hynes' PSU and in that order, the music improves with the Paul Hynes' PSU quite a step up from the SLA. As Miklorsmith has stated, the Altmann works best "naked" which is what the creator Charles intended. Its a real conversation piece but cabling and stability is a real challenge. I have often been tempted to frame the Altmann (without glass) and hang it up with cables feeding it!! Wonder how it will sound!

The Paradisea (stock) is a great performer given its relatively modest price, but responds well to tube rolling (WE 396 sounding better than the stock National tubes) and power cables. I have also found that isolation influences the sound as well. I use squash ball halves (3 strategically placed below the DAC - 2 rear and 1 front) and find this works best for me.

The other observation between the two is to say how much easier the Paradisea is to use! No toggle switches to manually find the right PCM. The DAC automatically adjusts to the different format.