Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC

Occam

Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC
« on: 29 Aug 2005, 02:55 am »
I've recently come to the conclusion that my preamp, a Nakamichi CA5II is in desperate need of re-capping, both power electrolytics and coupling. I've been obscessively mucking about with my Felicia powerconditioner, and the Nak simply did not resolve Felicia changes as did other high quality preamps I've heard recently, like Tianguis' highly modified Transcendent Grounded Grid, Lonewolf's Modwright 9.0 SE or Wes's CAT SL-1.

Same goes for my lightly modified ART DI/O DAC. It simply doesn't cut it lacking resolution......

Tvyankee (Dave) was good enough to lend me a Stello DPC2000, a $1,995 combo remotely controlled preamp & dac.

Objective comments -
All controls are acscessable on both the front panel and the incredibly solid remote, including source selection, volume -60db in .5db increments, and selection of upsampling, bypass, 24/48, 24/96 & 24/192.
Balanced and single ended Inputs and Outputs as well as a front panel headphone socket. The remote functioned flawlessly. It also can control the Stello transport. It was a true joy to be able to control the volume with small increments while ensconced in my listening chair, no pops, no clicks. The only negative objective comment I have is that the top cover need damping. Does it degrade the sound? Dunno, but the first thing I'd do if I could open her up would be to put some Cascade damping sheet on the inside of the top.

Subjective comments -
I'd like to give detailed comments on detailed comparisons. But after an hour of switching back and forth between the separable functions (after Dave left) on the Stello and my present pre and dac, I realized it wasn't worth the effort. And the Stello very much reflected changes to Felicia. The dac and the pre in the Stello simply stomped my present pre and dac. Its quite depressing to realize how sucky one's present components are. Far better everything. As a throwaway comment, the included headphone jack worked a charm with my Grado SR-40s, but I'm no headphone expert.
So my comments are on the Stello used as a combined DAC and Pre. If it weren't for the ability to change upsampling/filter characteristics I'd call the combo a straight wire with gain and Dac functionality. Of the 4 dac filter charateristics I greatly preferred the bypass and 24/92 settings. And this leads to my first subjective criticism. One of them must be 'correct', but I liked them both. Kahneman just recieved the Nobel in Economics on this very subject. When people are presented with too many choices, they are incapable of making a decision. The multiple choices drove me crazy. If it had only the the bypass or 24/96 DAC, I might well be far more enthusiatic. I realize thats not a very rational comment.

And my last 'criticism' is purely subjective. It doesn't have any of that 'tube' sound. This isn't to imply that its not smooth when appropriate, or that it has any grit, its just that its lacks that 'sumth'n sumth'n' that tubes can bring to the music.

When you consider the price, this is an amazingly good product. Actually, its pretty amazing even when you don't consider the price.

tvyankee

Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2005, 02:53 pm »
hello occam,

thank you for the nice words about the pre.i think it sounds very good on all the upsampling but i think it sounds different on some recordings.i would agree that the 24/96 sounds the best of all of the different settings.

their are somethings that this dac's does that we were not able to check because it does not have the options.that is you can have a a/d mod and also phono input as well for a upcharge.

all in all this unit is flexiable and easy to use.it is also affordable for what you get in terms of sound and build quality.

thanks.

Occam

Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2005, 02:19 pm »
Dave,

I find my comments rapidly sinking down in the queue, unread. I think this largely because I don't gush over any component (even my own DIY projects) and try to be objective.

My only 'criticism' was that the preamp portion was a straight wire with gain and I subjectively prefer a bit of the tube "sumth'n sumth'n", the dac is too flexible frustrating me over which setting is 'right', and the chassis needs $10 in damping sheet.

So I'll add 2 review URLs that are more subjective, that the readership might find more to their liking -
http://www.stereotimes.com/CD040905.shtm
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/stello_dp200.htm
the above is a "reviewer's choice for 2004"!

tvyankee

Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2005, 06:58 pm »
hey occam,

i'm glad you are liking it.i think you will find that you will like the 192 for certain recordings.

the flexabilty of the unit i think is one of the greatest features of the unit.it allows you to be able to do so many things that other preamps don't allow.

you can use it as a stand alone dac or use it in a bypass mode.(stereo pre only)

i think the more time you spend with it the harder it will be to let go of.

still out at the us open for usa, so you still have another week with it.

talk soon.

MaxCast

Stello DP2000 Preamp/DAC
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2005, 04:34 am »
This preamp caught my attention.  FULLY remote controlable.  Not much user press out there.
Thanks for yours.