CDP, Pre/NoPre and Speakers for the Bryston 4B

rabpaul

CDP, Pre/NoPre and Speakers for the Bryston 4B
« on: 22 Sep 2006, 09:47 am »
Decided on a Bryston 4B to drive a Thiel 2.4 - Are they well matched?
Logical Pre-Amp would be the BP26 - Any alternatives with Balanced Connections e.g BAT31SE, ARC LS17
The Classe CDP 102 can drive the Bryston directly - Should I omit the Pre-Amp altogether as this would mean I would be able to get the Classe CDP 202 instead.
Any suggestions for Interconnects CDP/4B, Pre/4B, I currently use Analysis Plus Oval 8 RCA and Speaker Cables.

Bob Reynolds

Re: CDP, Pre/NoPre and Speakers for the Bryston 4B
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:41 pm »
I can't comment on your speakers.

I used an ARC LS-12 preamp for 3 years with a pair of 7B-SSTs. I recently bought a Pass Labs X1 preamp and sold it a month later for a BP-26.

Every cable I have in my system is Belden from Blue Jeans Cable.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2006, 06:39 pm »
Decided on a Bryston 4B to drive a Thiel 2.4 - Are they well matched?
Logical Pre-Amp would be the BP26 - Any alternatives with Balanced Connections e.g BAT31SE, ARC LS17
The Classe CDP 102 can drive the Bryston directly - Should I omit the Pre-Amp altogether as this would mean I would be able to get the Classe CDP 202 instead.
Any suggestions for Interconnects CDP/4B, Pre/4B, I currently use Analysis Plus Oval 8 RCA and Speaker Cables.

Yes - helped with several set-ups of that combo.  My friend down the road uses a 9BSST with Thiel 2.4s as the mains.

brucek

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2006, 07:40 pm »
Should I omit the Pre-Amp altogether as this would mean I would be able to get the Classe CDP 202 instead.

That would certainly be a reference system, but the pre-amp would allow other sources to be connected with its switching functions. Connecting the CDP 202 direct (with its variable analog output) would limit expansion.

brucek

rabpaul

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2006, 03:23 am »
Guys,

Thank you for your replies.
I have not given up the idea of having a pre-amp although I have no plans to have anything other than CDs as source. Its more a financial decision rather than a hi-fi one for now. At some point (when my bank balance recovers) I will try out the BP26 first and then the 6H30 based pre-amps.

Bob,
I would have thought the X1 would be way much better than the BP26. There is a used X2 available and I was going to give that a try. Maybe I am not giving the Bryston pre-amp a chance to prove its worth. Would appreciate if you provide some details on your decision to use the BP26 instead of the X1.

Rgds
Rabin

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2006, 05:03 am »
Bob,
I would have thought the X1 would be way much better than the BP26. There is a used X2 available and I was going to give that a try. Maybe I am not giving the Bryston pre-amp a chance to prove its worth. Would appreciate if you provide some details on your decision to use the BP26 instead of the X1.

Rgds
Rabin

Honestly, I'd been conditioned to think the same thing either because of price difference or the reputation of Nelson Pass. I had intended on replacing the ARC LS-12 with the BP-26, but the chance to own the X1 came up and I took it. About a month into using it, I decided that I still owed it to myself to try the BP-26. A friend and I performed a fairly formal sighted level matched comparison between the two preamps. The results are posted here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30854.0

Ergonomically, the X1 was a real pain to use for me. The remote control does not fit the hand very well and the remote for my Sony TV operates the X1. Since the X1 does not have a power switch, it was always in some goofy mode when I went to use it. The BP-26's remote has a better feel, but neither feel as good in my hand as the slim ARC LS-12 remote. I'm not a fan of vampire electronics. I want to turn devices off. Oh, and the bloody blue LED on the power supply of the X1 is blinding!

There are two features that the X1 has that I wish the BP-26 had. First, low and high gain settings. For CD, the low gain would allow the volume control get off 9:00 o'clock. And the high gain setting would work well with DVDs. Second, the X1 has a unity gain input, which could be used as a HT pass through. Of course, if I ever get to a multichannel system, I'll own a Bryston SP so the unity gain isn't really critical.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I really like hearing the relay latch on powering up the BP-26. It's like slamming the door of a car to determine how well it's made. I really believe that the BP-26 represents the point of diminishing returns for preamps. Based on list pricing, it's a steal compared to the Pass X1.