Upgrading Aerial 10t's from Bryston 4BST to 14BSST

Coop

Upgrading Aerial 10t's from Bryston 4BST to 14BSST
« on: 26 Aug 2006, 01:25 pm »
After running my Aerial 10T's with a Bryston 4BST for 6 years, I just upgraded to a 14BSST.  In a 14X23 room, playing at moderate lev els, the difference is astonishing.  It is as if the speakers had been half-awake.  Not just the bass, but the entire range seems more coherent, energetic and alive. 
I am posting this because there is no longer either a Bryston or Aerial dealer in my city.  In general, I find the knowledge of even specialty retailers to be limited.  Therefore, I have had to rely on the forums for information.  The controversy about the value of increased amplifer power is such that I struggled for months to make the decision.  My wife and I are both thrilled.
At the same time, I used the 4BST to replace a 9BST that I was using for just the side surrounds (Aerial SR3) in a separate surround system.  Again, on these small speakers the difference is astonishing.  The surround system also includes all Aerials: 10Ts, CC5, LR3 and the above-mentioned SR3, and a SW12.  Other Bryston amplifiers in this system are the 6BSST and another 4BST.  The surround room is large, but still I only play the system at a moderate level.  Aerial speakers are known to love power, so my experience may not be the same as someone else would have with increased power.  However, because of the value of forums in helping me make decisions, I wanted to post my experience. 
Incidentally, James Tanner strongly urged the upgrade to the 14BSST for the Aerials and his advice was the final straw.  As usual, he was correct.  Michael Kelly also encouraged the increased power.  Again, in the absence of local dealers, the time and patience of the manufacturers is invaluable.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Upgrading Aerial 10t's from Bryston 4BST to 14BSST
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:02 pm »
Hi Coop,

Yes I always feel a little guilty of to much "salesmanship" when I am asked about how much power is enough.  I have always found that the extra power provides much improved micro-dynamics as well as the expected extra control and drive.

Also speakers are far more complex loads than most would have you believe. At any given moment at any given frequency the speaker is asking for instantaneous delivery of current and voltage - the amplifiers ability to deliver into these complex and very reactive conditions has always been a priority at Bryston when designing our output stages.

In your case the SST is also a large leap forward in performance over the ST.

james

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:27 pm »
I'd certainly agree with the above.  At one point I had the 4BST on my Thiel 7.2s several yrs. back.  After a couple of yrs. and other amps, I picked up the 6BSST for the front channels.  I then decided to pick up the 14BSST and use the 6BSST for the center and rears..  I'm always amazed at the improvements.  I listen to stuff I have not listened to in a while and it is almost like I have a new system.

beemer

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2006, 06:23 pm »
Hello Phil:

LOL! You are finding out just how good the 10t's really are. I had a pair for quite a while, the more power you throw at them the better they like it! Now whatever you do, do not go and listen to the 20t's  :icon_lol: .........that could be your next upgrade :wink:

Michael Kelly make a great speaker, enjoy the music!

Best,

Paul  :green:

Tony1

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2006, 03:08 am »
Coop

How many watts are your surrounds?  I was thinking of upgrading from the 9b to 6b's but my surrounds are B&W 805s 125w and don't know if the 6b will damage the speaker.

Tony

Coop

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2006, 02:45 pm »
Tony,

I wouldn't bother upgrading the Bryston for the B&W 805.  As part of my changes, I downgraded the power on B&W 804 from the 4B to the 9B.  The 804s are in our living room which, as part of an open floor plan, is fairly large.  We have not noticed any loss of sound quality from the downgrade of power.  However, as posted above, the upgrade in power to the Aerials has made a large difference.  Hope this helps.

Coop