Inline/Highpass Filters and Integrated Amps

TheTrefryL

Inline/Highpass Filters and Integrated Amps
« on: 3 Apr 2024, 08:22 pm »
Hey, so I was looking at the high pass filters page (https://gr-research.com/hi-pass-filters/) on the GR-Research website and noticed that there was a note which said that the inline filters described wouldn't be compatible with an integrated amplifier. Why is that? Is there anything preventing you from using an inline filter between the DAC and integrated amp, assuming that you're able to control the volume from the DAC? Thanks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Inline/Highpass Filters and Integrated Amps
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2024, 08:36 pm »
Hey, so I was looking at the high pass filters page (https://gr-research.com/hi-pass-filters/) on the GR-Research website and noticed that there was a note which said that the inline filters described wouldn't be compatible with an integrated amplifier. Why is that? Is there anything preventing you from using an inline filter between the DAC and integrated amp, assuming that you're able to control the volume from the DAC? Thanks!

If you put the filter between the DAC and the integrated amp, one of two things will happen. Either you will roll off the lows completely if the filter doesn't have a by-pass leg, or if it does and you send a full range signal to the subs that does not go through the preamp section, the volume control on the preamp will not have any effect on the subs. You will be sending the subs a full voltage signal at all times. Not a good idea to say the least.

BrandonB

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2024, 09:07 pm »
If you put the filter between the DAC and the integrated amp, one of two things will happen. Either you will roll off the lows completely if the filter doesn't have a by-pass leg, or if it does and you send a full range signal to the subs that does not go through the preamp section, the volume control on the preamp will not have any effect on the subs. You will be sending the subs a full voltage signal at all times. Not a good idea to say the least.

So can you put a high pass filter on a preamp module on a DAC such as the PS Audio or something with volume control?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2024, 09:48 pm »
So can you put a high pass filter on a preamp module on a DAC such as the PS Audio or something with volume control?

If you are using the DAC’s volume control then that would work if the DAC is the only source. If the integrated amp has an HT by-pass input that would be the one to use. If not, and you know what volume level on the preamp is at unity gain, set the preamps volume at that point then the signal going to the sub and the power amp section will be the same which will make level matching the sub with the main speaker easier.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2024, 09:58 pm »

Assuming you're going from a DAC with built-in preamp section directly into a power amp then you can do that.

Going from a DAC with a pre-amp into an integrated amp could work so long as you never use the preamp section of the integrated, but you will need to find the input impedance of the pre-amp section, unless your integrated has a separate input that bypasses the preamp section.

The only other way around this would be to open up the device, find the coupling cap between the amp & preamp section, and replace it with a smaller cap, but you would still need to know the input impedance of the amplifier section. But for most people, that's not really possible unless you can get your hands on a schematic of the internals.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2024, 10:07 pm »
I have Cambridge's CX series to which I have connected an In-Line filter with Sub out. The Streamer/DAC Cambridge CXNv2 is set in PreAmp mode with digital volume, RCA out via In-Line filter (Sub-Out also) to RCA analog input on the Cambridge CX-61 integrated amplifier. When I raise/lower the volume on the remote, the volume on both the CXN and the CX-61 is adjusted. at the same time. However, the Bus cables are required to be inserted. The signal to the A370 plate amp, from the Sub Out on the In-Line filter, follows so nicely up and down, when I play music. This works perfectly but maybe not the best solution, but a real Power Amp is needed.

RDT944

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2024, 02:41 am »
Are you running this bypass filter with the NX Studios per Danny's Recommendation?