High-End AVRs vs vintage integrated amps for vinyl playback

kwatz

Audiophile noob here. Can any AVR receivers in in $2-$3K range match the sound quality for vinyl of a good vintage integrated amp? Trying to upgrade my home theater and use only a single amp, but don't want to lose much of the beautiful performance my current system is giving me for music. I'll also be using this for playback of lossless digital audio.

For reference I'm working with a Sansui AU-D9 integrated amp and a Blue Circle Audio BC27pi phono stage with a Rega Planar 3 turntable. I'm currently eyeing a Denon 6700H to replace the Sansui with. Will still be using the phono preamp.

toocool4

Re: High-End AVRs vs vintage integrated amps for vinyl playback
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:39 pm »
Why don’t you try and get a good stand alone phonostage and run your turntable that way to your AVR?

Not sure how good the Blue Circle Audio BC27pi phonostage is?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:36 pm »
It is  hard to say which would be better.  Marantz  may give you more of a vintage sound.  They have a house sound which is slightly warmer, darker, fuller with a tonally rich and romantic tone.  If you go the AVR route, consider spending closer to $3k.  I recently auditioned a Marantz KI Ruby Reference integrated amp and it was fabulous.  The tone was stunning.  I also listened to the Model 30 which was disappointing.  I own a marantz receiver, an sr-4023 and I use to own the NA-11s1 dac. Both have the house sound.

Larry

kwatz

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:44 pm »
Why don’t you try and get a good stand alone phonostage and run your turntable that way to your AVR?

Not sure how good the Blue Circle Audio BC27pi phonostage is?

That's what I plan on doing. I currently run my Blue Circle to the Sansui as well since the phono input on the Sansui has some issues. It's all I know, so I can't speak from experience, but I trust the person who sold it to me and from what little info I can gather online it seems to be a solid phonostage with quality parts, and to my ears the system as a whole sounds very good.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:48 pm »
Here is the Marantz AVR that I would consider.  The review is excellent-

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8015

I am not sure if a new phono preamp will give you a vintage sound.

What do you consider a vintage sound?

kwatz

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2020, 07:01 pm »
It is  hard to say which would be better.  Marantz  may give you more of a vintage sound.  They have a house sound which is slightly warmer, darker, fuller with a tonally rich and romantic tone.  If you go the AVR route, consider spending closer to $3k.  I recently auditioned a Marantz KI Ruby Reference integrated amp and it was fabulous.  The tone was stunning.  I also listened to the Model 30 which was disappointing.  I own a marantz receiver, an sr-4023 and I use to own the NA-11s1 dac. Both have the house sound.

Larry

Thanks for the input. I'm not particularly attached to the "vintage" sound - I'm more interested in accurately reproducing the music. I want to minimize any character the equipment might add to it. I was initially looking at the Marantz SR7015, as I've heard their receivers are more musical than most. However, I read this review which argues that the Marantz equipment is basically the Denon architecture with some changes, which actually add more distortion and ultrasonic noise from slow DAC filtering. What's the opinion on Denon around here?

kwatz

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2020, 07:03 pm »
Here is the Marantz AVR that I would consider.  The review is excellent-

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8015

I am not sure if a new phono preamp will give you a vintage sound.

What do you consider a vintage sound?

Sorry, I said vintage because that's what I have, not necessarily because I prefer the sound of vintage. I'm really going for transparency and accuracy, but didn't know if vintage amps do a better job at that than modern AVRs for music

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2020, 07:11 pm »
Sorry, I said vintage because that's what I have, not necessarily because I prefer the sound of vintage. I'm really going for transparency and accuracy, but didn't know if vintage amps do a better job at that than modern AVRs for music

Ok.  What cartridge are you using with the TT?  A good cartridge and phono pre can make a huge difference.

Modern gear will give you the transparency you are looking for.  Read the review on that marantz AVR.  They compare its sound to higher end separate components.  Also consider the Marantz 8012 which is cheaper,  but the 8015 will be better most likely.

For 2 ch music, marantz will be better than denon.  For HT it is a wash.

kwatz

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2020, 07:23 pm »
Ok.  What cartridge are you using with the TT?  A good cartridge and phono pre can make a huge difference.

Modern gear will give you the transparency you are looking for.  Read the review on that marantz AVR.  They compare its sound to higher end separate components.  Also consider the Marantz 8012 which is cheaper,  but the 8015 will be better most likely.

For 2 ch music, marantz will be better than denon.  For HT it is a wash.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out that review. I'm using an Elys 2 cartridge.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:01 pm »
You may want to consider upgrading to a cartridge in the $500-750 range, something like a Hana or Dynavector.  There should be a huge improvement.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:17 pm »
kwatz take reviews with a pinch of salt, go and listen for yourself with music you know. Better still see if you can borrow the kit you want and use it at home with the rest of your kit in your room, that is what I do. Trust your own ears, never trust someone else’s.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:23 pm »
kwatz take reviews with a pinch of salt, go and listen for yourself with music you know. Better still see if you can borrow the kit you want and use it at home with the rest of your kit in your room, that is what I do. Trust your own ears, never trust someone else’s.

I could not agree  more.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2020, 11:00 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

saylormd

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2021, 08:49 am »
No, no one knows how to take all the capabilities of a well regarded $2-$3k integrated two channel amp, add 4 more channels  (for a total of 5.1) of preamplification, add Dolby processing, add AD and DA conversion, add 4 channels of amplification, engineer everything well, isolate everything in one box, and market for $2-$3k. That is silly. However, the recent and current Denon AVRs x3600 and above come close.  There is a rapidly diminishing return above the x4700. I suggest you consider a Denon with preamp outs on all channels and the power level and other features you want, and go anead and set up your HT. If (when) you're not completely satisfied get a two channel preamp with a bypass feature, also called HT bypass. Move your phonopreamp of choice from the Denon to the new preamp. Run L and R preouts from Denon to the new preamp HT in. Get a good two channel amp, connect to your preamp. Disconnect L & R speaker cables from your AVR and connect them to the amp. By selecting phono in at the new preamp you have an all analog two channel system the quality of which which is independent of your HT choices. With the Denon selected at the preamp and the preamp in HT bypass mode the stereo pre amp volume control function is disabled and you have a very good HT with exceptional L & R amplification. You can actually do all this for just over $2000: for example Denon x4500 + Schitt amp and pre.