Need a new washing machine

mca

Need a new washing machine
« on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:00 pm »
I have an eight year old Kenmore HE front loading washer and dryer. The dryer is still going strong but the washer has begun to leak (had it repaired a few months back and it's leaking again). The other big problem is the washer stinks. As soon as you walk into the laundry room, you can smell this musty smell.

I use a good organic detergent (Ecos), leave the door open when not in use and also have been using Affresh tablets to try and help with the stink, all to no avail. From reading forums, many people have a problem with front loaders and smell.

So I ask: What washing machine have you had good luck with? What would you recommend? I don't care about all the new gadgets washers offer now, I just want a solid dependable machine that is still efficient and does not use a ton of water like the old models.   

Wayner

Re: Need a new washing machine
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:10 pm »
I really like Whirlpool washers and dryers. I've had 3 sets during my life and they have usually gone the 15-17 year life span. They are reasonable in price (I think they make the Kenmore brand as well, to Sears specifications) and should give you years of trouble free service. The Washer is about $429 and the dryer is about $100 or so less. I know a few people that have bought those big, tall POS and have had lots of trouble with them. Stick with the basics, I say.

Good luck (keep the wife happy as well).

Wayner

mshan

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:18 pm »
My Samsung has a drainage tube in it.

Haven't kept up on best brand since I bought a few years ago, but I believe Samsung and LG front loaders are a good place to start.

Check out Black Friday ads; there are multiple washer dryer sets for $1200 and one set I think for $1000.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:54 pm »
They all have a drainage tubes in them. Buy American, they are better built.

Wayner

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:22 pm »
Although I haven't done a laundry in 16 yeaars, I researched washer and dryers and bought my wife anLG front loader pair. They clean well, are energy efficient, they're quiet, and they supposedly don't wear out clothing as fast as other brands. My wife loves the LG and that's good enough for me.

Check out Consumer Search.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:32 pm »
A god friend of mine has a newer front loader he really likes.  Says his dryer picks up a lot less lint, indicating easier on the clothes.

I've heard the musty smell was a problem on early units, but haven't heard much lately.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:44 pm »
I bought an LG direct-drive front load washer a little over a year ago, based on a great sale price and favorable reports.  Cleans well, is easy on the clothes and very quiet.  The wash times are longer than the top loader it replaced, but I suspect that is common with the HE front loaders.

I had read about musty odors and to make sure I didn't have any, I wipe away any residual water that collects in the door seal and the dispenser drawer at the end of a single or multi-load wash session.  Takes a couple of extra minutes, but there is no detectable odor of any kind 15 months later.

Steve

denjo

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
+1 for LG washers. The Koreans have come very far with electronics and technology! Very good value for money! The German Bosch is also very good but expensive.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2010, 08:53 pm »
My Samsung has a drainage tube in it.

Haven't kept up on best brand since I bought a few years ago, but I believe Samsung and LG front loaders are a good place to start.

Check out Black Friday ads; there are multiple washer dryer sets for $1200 and one set I think for $1000.

Best Buy...

Home Depot...

KKM

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm »
I agree with the Whirlpool, very reliable and cleans great. Had a top loader for 13 years without problems and now a front loader for 3 years no problems and no smell. We do keep the door open after we use it. Also make sure you only use HE designated detergent, otherwise, the suds could go into areas where mold could grow and cause the smell.

john1970

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm »
I have a Whirlpool Duet HT front loading HE washer that I purchased back in 2004.  I do about 2-3 loads of laundry a week, and have never had a single issue.  You should note that while the manufacturer is Whirlpool the unit in made in Germany.   I am hoping to get a good 15-20 years of use.

Best of luck,

John

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:46 pm »
Buying a top load (old style) washer and drier is like buying a black and white TV. Unless you are into nostalgia, front load is your best bet.

I do not believe any of the American brands are made in the USA. I have used Bosch front load washer and drier and highly recommend them. Plus, they are made in North Carolina.

The Bosch units are quiet, well made and very efficient. Plus they are very gentle on your clothes. Mine do not have steam cleaning or any of the latest features cut they work very well.

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
We just bought a washer/dryer from Electrolux. Happened to walk into Sears during some kinda promotional sale. 15 percent off plus another 5 or so off plus a 250 dollar gift card! Anyway, it's one of those behemoth front loaders but my wife loves it. We had a Maytag before it that was ailing (and finally died) and this new unit has taken some of the musty smell out of the clothes. It has a steam feature that helped.

Also, it's made in America. Ask me about reliability in 5 years. But right now, the aquamarine color goes right with the decor in the laundry room.

Still waiting for the 50 buck rebate because of the washer efficiency, government rebate going on now.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm »
Oh yeah, when we looked like 2 months ago, the RED units were on super sale. I think it was a hot color and they made too many of them.

Paul

Thebiker

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm »
One more vote for the LG front loader.  We have had ours since we moved from NH to AZ 2 years ago.  We had a Bosch that we left as part of the fully applianced house we sold.  The LG kicks the Bosch to the curb and is extremely quiet.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:55 am »
I forgot to mention two things.  First, and probably most importantly, I have never done a load of laundry in my life.  My wife does laundry and when I was single, I used to get them done by a service (they charged by the pound). 

Also, I did a quick search and it seems people are complaining about every brand.  Maybe we got lucky with ours o r maybe we are just careful but either way, it seems 99% of people posting on forums are the ones who have had problems (not this form, I'm talking appliance forums).  Best of luck to the OP.

I read recently that most people use too much laundry soap and that excess soap usage is a major contributor to damaged machines (the new front-load variety).  Good luck to you.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:16 am »
Hey, you guys do know there is a whole forum where you can get advice on washing machines and the like? Some people are as much into their whitegoods as we are into audio equipment :lol:

Anyway, I have a Miele. Been working flawlessly since I got it. I put the clothes in, press the button, take the clothes out... In theory, it's going to last me 20 years. A third of the way there!!

srb

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:28 am »
Hey, you guys do know there is a whole forum where you can get advice on washing machines and the like? Some people are as much into their whitegoods as we are into audio equipment :lol:

Yes, and like this forum, there are as many varied opinions as to the 'best' product, with no clear consensus.

But having owned several top loaders in my life, there is no doubt that a front loader is a superior design.  They are not only more efficient, they definitely have less wear and tear on the clothing.

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:39 pm »
I have a Bosch front load washer, and you have to use a tiny amount of HE (High Efficiency) soap in it.  We're talking a tablespoon or so.  Any more, and the washer will sometimes add extra rinse cycles. 

My current Bosch is an angled front loader and will periodically smell a bit.  To fix this, I block the door open with a plastic funnel.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:53 pm »
We replaced a Kenmore top loader with an LG steamer and it's working great going on 1 year.  Home Depot has free delivery, installation and haul away.  Some internet prices were cheaper but we went the hassle free route with HD.  The bottom line is that laundry comes out cleaner, uses less water and I can listen to music while laundry is running because it's a lot less noisy (laundry room is next to my listening room).  :thumb:  How is that for an audiophile angle on the washer purchase consideration? :wink: