Comments on SB3 Digital Enthusiast Mod

Wayne1

Comments on SB3 Digital Enthusiast Mod
« on: 29 Jun 2009, 03:21 pm »
I just received an E-mail from a client in Austria whose SB3 I modded for him.

"The SB3 has arrived yesterday and is running since then. After 20 hours all things were considerable clearing up. Now the sound is resolving without any harshness. This is really a fine achievement. It's hard to believe that this humble box is now able to rival the on-board transport of the Ayon CD3. "

He received the Digital Enthusiast Mod.  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

Re: Comments on SB3 Digital Enthusiast Mod
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:12 pm »
Hey Wayne!!
  That's quite a statement. I have the same mods done to my SB3. Never had the opportunity to do an A-B test with a top of the line CD player. But I'm sure the SB3 would hold it's own.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:39 pm »
Yep, Charlie,

You were one of the first to get the enthusiast mods done. I knew a well recorded FLAC file played back through a modded AB could sound better than most CD players, but I have never had the opportunity to compare to any of the really high end machines.

I am very honored and flattered by the comments.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:00 pm »
I should be more up to speed, but let me see if I understand:  A digital only mod wipes out the analog output, correct?  But the mod makes the digital signal cleaner?

So then I rely on the capability of my external DAC to pick it up and run with it properly.

Is it likely that the analog output mod would sound better than an external DAC?

And FYI, some Elpac WM220-1 units available on Ebay right now.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:25 pm »
Pete,

The digital only Enthusiast level mod for the SB3 does removel the analog section to reduce noise from the DC lines. The FULL Mod will also have the removal of the same parts but uses higher grade parts to rebuild the analog section. The very noisy op-amp stays out of the analog section so the output level is reduced to a max of 1.2 volts, down from 2 volts.

The Enthusiast level mods now feature a custom built voltage regulator to supply the clock and digital buffer with cleaner power. This will improve the sound quite a bit on both the analog and digital sections.

As far as analog mods sounding better than some DAC's, that is what I have found. I have not heard anywhere near every DAC on the market, but of the one's I have heard, I have preferred the sound of the modded analog section of the SB3 to the outboard DAC. Without question, there may be a DAC out there that beats the sound of the SB. I have not heard one, yet.

Again, the analog mods to the SB3 do reduce the overall gain and invert the phase of the unit. If you can live with these limitations, you can get some VERY good sound for not a lot of money.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:48 pm »
But you have to choose wisely, otherwise one circuit is gone if you decide that you then want the other, correct?

And would a phase inverting mod going into a phase inverting preamp, get me back to correct phase? 

Edit:  It would seem having one or the other circuit modified is a better solution to keep the unused circtui from dirtying up the signals.  Now you have me thinking I should go with the analog mod instead of buying a DAC.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2009, 06:23 pm »
While an external DAC certainly gives you options, it's another connection, another cable, another place for 'nervosa', etc.  I had Wayne do the full monty mod on my SB3.  Haven't had the desire to get an external DAC since. 

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2009, 06:32 pm »
While an external DAC certainly gives you options, it's another connection, another cable, another place for 'nervosa', etc.  I had Wayne do the full monty mod on my SB3.  Haven't had the desire to get an external DAC since. 

Bryan

The Statement or the Classic Enthusiast?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2009, 06:42 pm »
Statement

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2009, 08:49 pm »
The digital add on to the Analog mod is not going to "dirty up" anything. Most of the same mod is done with the Enthusiast level. The only difference is adding the parts to improve the DAC chip PS and the output caps vs improving the digital output connections.

The Full mod isn't that much more then the Analog mod. That way you would have the upgraded digital output if some Ultimate DAC comes along in the next couple of years. You can also get the digital mod done at a later date, if you wish. I can't guarantee keeping the same price for the upgrade.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:32 pm »
But you have to choose wisely, otherwise one circuit is gone if you decide that you then want the other, correct?

And would a phase inverting mod going into a phase inverting preamp, get me back to correct phase? 

Edit:  It would seem having one or the other circuit modified is a better solution to keep the unused circtui from dirtying up the signals.  Now you have me thinking I should go with the analog mod instead of buying a DAC.

WHat about the phase issue?  IS that a left and right channel swap solution?

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm »
Phase is positve/negative issue. If you run it through a phase inverting pre-amp, everything comes out "normal".