A few Tact S2150 questions.

Danster

A few Tact S2150 questions.
« on: 7 Sep 2007, 07:46 pm »
Hi there.

Im thinking about buying a used tact S2150 digi amp, but I have some questions I hope you can answer.

How old is a 2150 with a S/N which is about AC00450? And is it worth buying? I mean can it last like 5 years more, or are the caps getting bad?
I have mailed tact about how old a amp with this S/N is, but they havent answered.

Anything else I should know about this amp, before buying a used one?

jhm731

Re: A few Tact S2150 questions.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2007, 12:25 am »
Hi there.

Im thinking about buying a used tact S2150 digi amp, but I have some questions I hope you can answer.

How old is a 2150 with a S/N which is about AC00450? And is it worth buying? I mean can it last like 5 years more, or are the caps getting bad?
I have mailed tact about how old a amp with this S/N is, but they havent answered.

The amp can last more than 5 years.

I won't worry about the caps.

It's worth buying a use one if the price is right.

If you have analog sources, you should look for a S2150 with the optional  ADC card.

All S/M2150s can be updated to the latest models.

They can also be improved with some modifications, see mauimods.com.

Danster

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2007, 07:29 am »
Hi there.

If you have analog sources, you should look for a S2150 with the optional  ADC card.

Thanks for the reply jhm731.

When you mean all S/M2150s can be updated to the latest models, you mean that there arent any hardware different on an old and a new S2150? So its pure software/firmware?

Anyone know how old a amp with the serial number AC00450 is?

Any input is more than welcome.

Kind regards

Danster

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2007, 07:53 am »
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply jhm731.

When you mean all S/M2150s can be updated to the latest models, you mean that there arent any hardware different on an old and a new S2150? So its pure software/firmware?

Anyone know how old a amp with the serial number AC00450 is?

Any input is more than welcome.

Kind regards

Danster

No, it's not purely software/firmware.

The M/S2150X and M/S2150XDM require a new DSP board, and the installation of a mic card.

I'm guessing serial number AC00450 is 3-4 years old.

ndeslions

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2007, 09:18 am »
Try to hear / test it before you buy if possible.
I owned two 2150 and one 2.0S, i think there' s some better digital amps on the market now, Nuforce for example or the Bel Canto monoblocks.
Both sound less bright than the 2150 and got better bass.

RichardS

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2007, 11:35 am »
I bought a used 2150 several years ago, and a year or two ago bought another one new. They sounded the same to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. I have only heard the older Nuforces, but currently have several other 'digital' amps in house, including a Bel Canto S300, and to my ears the Tact is several notches better. Yes, it leans to the revealing and detailed side of things, so personal preference plays a part here, but it does this very well. Extended, yes -- bright no -- at least in my system with Selah line arrays. The Tact is a DAC as well as an amp so it's difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons (however I sold my $5K Audiologic 24mxl in favor of the Tact).

The A-D converters on the 2150 are probably its achilles heel, so if you listen to a lot of vinyl or SACD, it may not be the best choice. I sold my SACD player because redbook room-corrected with the 2.2x/2150 sounded better than the SACD without. Even at the new prices, the 2150 is a screaming bargain -- it replaces a preamp, DAC,  amp and cable, all for under $2K! I paid more for my used one than the new ones currently go for. The only advantage I can see for buying the recent newer line-up is that room-correction is built in.