Will a NAS device introduce noise and take away from mods?

gregcss

I'll most likely get an squeezebox touch and jerome PS with a rail soon. I would hard wire the SBT into a nearby switch and stream from my desktop pc. I have been thinking about getting a simple NAS device that can run squeezebox server and connect to the SBT via USB so I don't always need to have my PC on. One such device is sold by Synology, will this introduce audible noise and take away from the bolder mods in the jerome ps?

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS110j/index.php

dminches

Re: Will a NAS device introduce noise and take away from mods?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:33 am »
In either configuration what is your Touch hooked up to?  Are you using the digital output or analog and what does that feed?

gregcss

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:59 am »
In either configuration what is your Touch hooked up to?  Are you using the digital output or analog and what does that feed?

digital output into a marantz sr5005.

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:21 am »
That's an excellent idea configuration-wise! I might have to take that idea from you.  :P I doubt it would cause any noise honestly.

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:48 am »
When you hook the NAS to you SBT you won't be using the squeeze server, right?  The NAS will be acting like a large hard drive and the software will run on the touch. 

I don't see why there would be noise created since the NAS is just a hard drive.  You aren't using USB as a digital interface.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:52 am »
The NAS may not introduce noise, but the garbage switching power supply it has will. Just make sure you have power conditioning.  :thumb:

gregcss

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:03 am »
When you hook the NAS to you SBT you won't be using the squeeze server, right?  The NAS will be acting like a large hard drive and the software will run on the touch. 

I don't see why there would be noise created since the NAS is just a hard drive.  You aren't using USB as a digital interface.

Not exactly. The NAS device I linked is essentially a small computer that you need to buy a hdd separately from your favorite hdd vendor. Squeezebox server is installed on this device and with the hdd I install it will be both a network storage device and have the ability to stream to the SBT. Squeezebox server doesnt run on the touch.

gregcss

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
The NAS may not introduce noise, but the garbage switching power supply it has will. Just make sure you have power conditioning.  :thumb:

This is what I was trying to get at. If the SBT has a modded PS and I connect it to a device that is powered by a crap power supply will this re-introduce noise that was cleaned up by the modded SBT power supply?

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:34 am »
This what I was trying to get at. If the SBT has a modded PS and I connect it to a device that is powered by a crap power supply will this re-introduce noise that was cleaned up by the modded SBT power supply?
It will not re-introduce noise, it might introduce some unique and different noise.

That NAS requires 12 volts at roughly 1.6 amps max. You can use a 12 volt 2 amp linear power supply with the NAS. I do suggest, if possible, to eliminate all the switching power supplies near your system. The less noise the better.

The Parts Express linear power supply should work with that NAS Parts Express linear PS

Using the Jerome with the Music Rail will give the Touch very clean power. Using as few as possible switchers will keep the power clean.

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm »
There is no reason to put your NAS or your pc running the Logitech Media Server in the same room as the listening environment.  The only piece that needs to be in the rack is the Touch and its ps.
NAS after all stands for Network Attached Storage.  One of the beauties of the SqueezeBox devices is that you can put the noisy bits elsewhere, only the player needs be in the listening environment.
Caution should be used however in the choice of NAS hardware that it has the resources to run the server properly, not all do.
Larry

dminches

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:02 pm »
Not exactly. The NAS device I linked is essentially a small computer that you need to buy a hdd separately from your favorite hdd vendor. Squeezebox server is installed on this device and with the hdd I install it will be both a network storage device and have the ability to stream to the SBT. Squeezebox server doesnt run on the touch.

I do not think you are right.  When you attach any storage device to a touch, the device acts only as storage, not a server.  If you select USB as your music source then the touch will run its own version of the software to access and play the music that resides on the external drive.  If you want the touch to access the music through the network then the NAS doesn't / shouldn't be attached to the touch via USB.  The NAS can be anywhere as long as it is attached to your network.  That is the whole point of the Squeeze system.  I have a Touch, a SB3 and a Transporter so I have tried all these configurations.

If you are interested in hi res then you need to assess the processing power of the NAS if that's where the Squeezecenter software will run.  I have opted to use a PC since decoding 24/96 flacs takes a bit of power.

I agree with the comments about the power supply.  The stock power supply is crap.  I have used the Channel Islands audio P/S successfully.

gregcss

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:45 pm »
Thanks dminches and lcrim, I think you are right. I was over thinking this  :duh:. Thanks for clarifying for me.