What LPs have you listened to recently?

BikeWNC

« on: 5 Mar 2003, 01:09 am »
Now that I have my TT back in action I've been playing through some of my LPs, mostly mid to late 70s to early eighties vintage, and have rediscovered a few favorites.  Currently getting heavy play are:

Neil Young - Harvest
Neil Young - Comes a Time
Neil Young - Live Rust
America - America
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold of a Dream
The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord
The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp!
Steely Dan - Aja
Jackson Brown - The Pretenter
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
The Pretenters - The Pretenders
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

I never bought any of these albums on CD and therefore really haven't listened to them for over 15 years.  I'm surprised at how timeless the are and how good they sound.  What are you listening to?

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 02:05 am »
My faves right now are early U2 and The Police.  I have been able to find some used LPs in great shape and the music is good to boot.  

Groups from the 70s also get plenty some play but I don't have many albums from individual artists.

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 02:24 am »
I have U2 - War, which has a raw energy to it that IMO U2 has never matched with any of its other albums.

I have The Police - Outlandos d'Amour and Ghost in the Machine.  They are both fine, but the former just has that stripped down 3 piece band sound that I love so much.  Ghost in the Machine is definitely a more slick production.

Andy

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:21 pm »
Heavy rotation:

Buena Vista Social Club w/Ry Cooder.

Pink Folyd Pulse.

Beezer

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:29 pm »
Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
Miles Davis - Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Alison Kraus - New Favorite
Lucinda Williams - Lucinda Williams
The Who - Who's Next
John Coltrane - Lush Life

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:31 pm »
Beez,

That Lucinda Williams LP is one of my favorites.  She is wonderful and her first album is still her best, IMO.

J

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:59 pm »
Beezer,
wondered how you thought the sonics of the "Passionate Kisses" EP compared to the full length LP????

Some people on other forums have complained about warped discs from LPNow (due to storing NOS LP's); did you have any problems??  I've been very happy with the discs I've gotten from them, though admittedly it's not been a great number.

TY

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2003, 04:08 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Beez,

That Lucinda Williams LP is one of my favorites.  She is wonderful and her first album is still her best, IMO.

J

I think you're talking about an LP that's actually not her first. "Happy Woman Blues" & "Ramblin' " preceded "Lucinda Williams."  I have a CD of "Ramblin' " and it's certainly worthwhile getting (though I'm not sure if it's still in print).
http://www.lucindawilliams.com/disco.html

Beezer

Lucinda et al
« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:15 pm »
I didn't have any problems with warped albums from LPNow.  They were all sealed and in good shape upon arrival.  I did have to wait a few weeks for them to fill my order though.

The Lucinda LP sounds good, not great.  It is certainly better than the CD, though.  The EP has "Passionate Kisses" and then 4 live tracks.  These four live tunes are featured as bonus tracks on the CD.  As for the EP's sound, it's similiar in overall quality to the LP, although it's live.  It's certainly worth getting if you're a Lucinda fan.

Right now, "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is probably my favorite Lucinda album.  It's still gritty and from the heart, but her song writing seems more evolved.

Beez

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2003, 09:46 pm »
Beezer,
I always found the EP to sound much better than the LP (which I agree sounds good but not spectacular). Always thought it might be all that space that the grooves were able to spread out over, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input,
TY

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2003, 10:27 pm »
Last one to spin on my table (note: I am in between permanent tables so I just have a flux one set up) was Jamiroquay.  One of the earlier albums, can't remember the alb title.

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2003, 11:59 pm »
Jethro Tull "Benefit", Rush "Moving Pictures", Dying Fetus "Destroy The Opposition", Pink Floyd "The Final Cut" - this album is all the same kind of tune over and over (quiet parts punctuated with big scary loud parts) but it's pretty damn good.  I also picked up those Police LPs mentioned earlier.

beat

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2003, 04:57 am »
so strange bob82274, I have been all about early u2 and police lately, namely war and ghost in the machine..the most in rotation for vinyl..and one of my next faves is the buena vista social club (but I dont have the vinyl) something in the air? I have been digging the old steel pulse albums too. Reminds me of summer I guess.

Mathew_M

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2003, 05:30 am »
Nathan can kiss my ass because currently I'm a jazz snob.  
Miles Davis:  Kind of Blue (word of warning! the current Classic re-issue on the 200 g vinyl is very noisy.  I'm tempted to send mine back)
Cookin' & Workin'  both are very nice sonically (mono rocks!)\
Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue his guitar sounds like it's amped directly through my speakers

I have U2s War which is an excellent album probably my favorite of theirs (before they lost their indy creed) however my vinyl copy doesn't sound the best.  It's kinda tinny or something, sounded better on my old system.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2003, 05:16 pm »
Matthew - You cannot tell if the U2 album is "tinny" or not because it is a rock band, and playing rock records will not allow you to hear any differences in your system.  Only those other jazz records will allow you savor the finer minutia of recorded music.  I am making this up!  You should go and listen to U2 on an Yorx fake all-in-one component system, it would sound the same probably!

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2003, 06:56 pm »
In a retro mood last night:

Al Green  - Call Me
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Van Morrison - Moondance
Allman Bros - Live at Filmore East
Bruce Springsteen - Postcards from Asbury Park

NB

Oz_Audio

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2003, 09:34 pm »
Roxy Music - Avalon
The Blue Nile - A walk across the rooftops
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Rolling Stones - Undercover
Cold Chisel - East
Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Oz

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2003, 08:59 pm »
Just got a copy of Cassandra Wilson's "New Moon Daughter" off eBay.
A sealed copy of the 2LP set for a $9.91 bid but the shipping from Canada was $9.75. I've had the CD for some time, but put off buying the LP through MusicDirect and others--think their price was quite a bit higher than the $20 I spent.

Addendum: the higher-priced LP set from Music Direct et al. was an audiophile pressing (no longer available) but the reissue I got sounds VERY good.

Hoots

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2003, 01:46 pm »
I just took off The Cramps - "Psychadelic Jungle" and before that The Jam - "Snap" and also still near the TT is a test pressing of Robin Lane & the Chartbusteres first lp.

I then put on a CD of Mozart's Horn Concertos on authentic instruments.

Jose Garcia

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2003, 05:44 am »
Saludos a todos...

Recently, after having my Aragon 47K modified, I'm spinning:

Sade , Diamond Life
Chuck Mangeone, Bellavia (1975)
Yes, 90125
Cheap Trick, At BudaKan
The Cars, Candy O

Have several records waiting on line while enjoying my system and appreciating the changes in presentation while breaking-in.

Regards,

Jose.