The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Captainhemo

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #480 on: 10 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
Danny,

Just curious...When you were designing the Super 7 (and / or redesigning the DIY version), why didn't you go with a thin vertical MM T MM arrangement to minimize baffle width (kinda like the wedgie)? Why the compact horizontal arrangement? Was there a sonic advantage or was it simply to better aesthetically sit atop the OB sub?

- Nicholas

I could be wrong but I think the acoustic centers of the pair of  Neo10 stacked lengthwise below and above the tweeter in a waveguide would be too far apart.
Additionally, the "all in one" design is really  nice,  saves the footprint of having  separate subs .

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #481 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:46 pm »
Danny,

Just curious...When you were designing the Super 7 (and / or redesigning the DIY version), why didn't you go with a thin vertical MM T MM arrangement to minimize baffle width (kinda like the wedgie)? Why the compact horizontal arrangement? Was there a sonic advantage or was it simply to better aesthetically sit atop the OB sub?

- Nicholas

Jay is correct. The acoustic centers would be so far apart that they'd have to cross to the tweeter at 900Hz or less for that to work. That wouldn't be possible.

Good question though.

And on their sides they do match the width of the servo subs pretty well. It worked.

nrenter

« Reply #482 on: 10 Aug 2018, 09:03 pm »
Cool. Since we're on the subject, what about something like this (not to scale)?

How would this impact wave propagation? Significantly different than the current Super-7 design?

I think about the "swarm" approach of the Tekton Design Impact Monitor.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker

I haven't heard it...but the measurements don't look awful (regardless of how ridiculous is looks).

Danny Richie

« Reply #483 on: 10 Aug 2018, 09:16 pm »
Cool. Since we're on the subject, what about something like this (not to scale)?

How would this impact wave propagation? Significantly different than the current Super-7 design?

I think about the "swarm" approach of the Tekton Design Impact Monitor.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker

I haven't heard it...but the measurements don't look awful (regardless of how ridiculous is looks).

That's an interesting idea.

I had to go lay the drivers out and take some measurements of that. If I lay the Neo 10's edge to edge then they make a 14.75" diameter square. So they would need a 15" baffle.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #484 on: 11 Aug 2018, 12:19 am »
That's an interesting idea.

I had to go lay the drivers out and take some measurements of that. If I lay the Neo 10's edge to edge then they make a 14.75" diameter square. So they would need a 15" baffle.

... so you're saying you might have found a use for 15" OB servo woofers after all?  :wink: :green:

2bigears

« Reply #485 on: 11 Aug 2018, 03:22 am »
 :D is this a more the better thing ?  Could one 15" per side work with this if ? 
         KISS kinda thing ?    :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #486 on: 11 Aug 2018, 04:58 pm »
:D is this a more the better thing ?  Could one 15" per side work with this if ? 
         KISS kinda thing ?    :D

The moving mass goes up a lot with larger cones and so does control.

Danny Richie

« Reply #487 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:05 pm »
You guys could stack Neo 8's around a Neo 3 like that and have a baffle that is 11.5" total width.

That would get you down to a crossover point of about 850Hz to 1kHz from the Neo 8's to whatever the other drivers are.

You could then stack a pair of Neo 10's under and above that group and make it work. That would be quite a stack of Neo's.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #488 on: 16 Aug 2018, 08:45 pm »
I have finally joined the Owners club! Super excited! Bought the pair Danny has been talking about in this thread. They arrived on Monday and I was in a hurry to try to get them up & running.

First of all, they were packed extremely well and showed up in perfect condition. Managed to get the tops off and some of the extra goodies out of the boxes, then move them inside by myself.

At that point, I decided I needed to wait for another pair of hands to help get them out of their crates, so I had to wait.....grrrrrrr.

It was worth the wait....

(Ignore all the extra wires - still experimenting )

These Speakers are GORGEOUS!

Danny also sent along the custom Folsom Chip Amp for me to try out.

It took a bit to get everything up and running, mostly due to operator error.

WOW!

I mean just WOW!  :o :o

I am still working on placement with PEQ off to get the Bass and soundstage  to the best compromise before I start trying to dial in the bass. I know I have some work ahead of me, but so far I am just blown away.

Air. Detail. Speed. - These are the first descriptors that come to mind with regard to differences from my old setup.

I'll report back with updates, but for now I have a houseful of Relatives about to show up, and I have to get things cleaned up.  :banghead:

THANKS DANNY!!!  :thumb: :wave:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #489 on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:11 am »
I have finally joined the Owners club! Super excited! Bought the pair Danny has been talking about in this thread. They arrived on Monday and I was in a hurry to try to get them up & running.

WOW!

I am still working on placement with PEQ off to get the Bass and soundstage  to the best compromise before I start trying to dial in the bass. I know I have some work ahead of me, but so far I am just blown away.

Air. Detail. Speed. - These are the first descriptors that come to mind with regard to differences from my old setup.

I'll report back with updates, but for now I have a houseful of Relatives about to show up, and I have to get things cleaned up.  :banghead:

Welcome to the club!  Seriously, the Super 7's are a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a TRUE world class speaker for (relatively) chump change.    I'm really curious to hear your ongoing impressions of them as you get them more and more dialed in.  My own experience is that they are not super fussy with positioning or with upstream equipment - they sound good almost no matter what you have or where you put them.  But when you improve those other things, the Super 7's just scale up effortlessly.

AND you're gonna have a lot of fun playing around with different amps for the top sections   :thumb:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #490 on: 18 Aug 2018, 02:20 am »
Tyson, I have read your praise of the Spatial X2s which I own.  Wonder how you would compare them to the Super-7s.  I think the AMT wide range driver is really good in the X2s, and after making some position changes I'm getting better bass, and overall they sound amazing to me.  Best sound I've had so far.  But still think bass impact could be better.  Have been thinking of getting some flat packs and associated parts for a couple of GR dual OB subs.  But maybe the Super-7 instead?

Jeff 

Tyson

« Reply #491 on: 18 Aug 2018, 03:06 am »
Tyson, I have read your praise of the Spatial X2s which I own.  Wonder how you would compare them to the Super-7s.  I think the AMT wide range driver is really good in the X2s, and after making some position changes I'm getting better bass, and overall they sound amazing to me.  Best sound I've had so far.  But still think bass impact could be better.  Have been thinking of getting some flat packs and associated parts for a couple of GR dual OB subs.  But maybe the Super-7 instead?

Jeff 

IMO the AMT is the best tweeter in the world (or that I've ever heard), and the waveguided OB Neo3 in the Super 7 is the 2nd best tweeter in the world :P  On the other hand, I think the Neo 10 might just be the best midrange driver in the world.  However the X2 mid driver is no slouch!!  And Clayton did an amazing job integrating them.  Bass, well no question the Super 7 bass is just in a higher class. 

Put another way, everything that the AMT driver covers is better than the Super 7.  Everything that the AMT does not cover, the Super 7 is better.  IMO and IME and all that.....

Does that help?

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #492 on: 18 Aug 2018, 04:54 am »
Yes quit a bit, thanks.  At a minimum I can improve the bottom end with GR OB bass.  Beyond that it sounds to me the Super-7 might be better overall. Need to figure the net cost of making the change. The hassle of changing is part of the calculation, because I’m very happy with the X2s.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #493 on: 18 Aug 2018, 05:43 pm »

First of all, they were packed extremely well and showed up in perfect condition. Managed to get the tops off and some of the extra goodies out of the boxes, then move them inside by myself.

When is our crew from No Cal coming to visit? 

We can’t wait to hear them. I’m so happy for you.

Cheese

At that point, I decided I needed to wait for another pair of hands to help get them out of their crates, so I had to wait.....grrrrrrr.

It was worth the wait....

(Ignore all the extra wires - still experimenting )

These Speakers are GORGEOUS!

Danny also sent along the custom Folsom Chip Amp for me to try out.

WOW!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #494 on: 18 Aug 2018, 06:40 pm »
I have finally joined the Owners club! Super excited! Bought the pair Danny has been talking about in this thread. They arrived on Monday and I was in a hurry to try to get them up & running....

Congratulations!  I remember what is now years ago hearing you plant the seeds in your head about someday getting a pair of these, and trying to talk yourself in to them sooner rather than later.  There are a lot of folks here at AC that I admire in their pursuit of this hobby, showing what really great things one can have with a good measure of patience and perseverance.

:thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #495 on: 18 Aug 2018, 08:13 pm »
When is our crew from No Cal coming to visit? 

We can’t wait to hear them. I’m so happy for you.

Cheese

Thanks. Been trying to figure it out and trying to see if the Weekend of Sept 28/29 or Oct 6/7 might work for everybody.
We have one extra bed and 1 Futon in an Office.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #496 on: 19 Aug 2018, 06:20 am »
I’ve got an inflatable. I’ll check the dates. Early oct would be better for me.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #497 on: 27 Aug 2018, 04:24 pm »
Give me a couple of months and I might be able to get you the same wax film on a four 9's pure Copper foil made in the USA. All in the works right now.

Hey Danny,  any news on this?

Danny Richie

« Reply #498 on: 27 Aug 2018, 05:01 pm »
Hey Danny,  any news on this?

Erse never got anywhere with it. They couldn't get a wax paper film to work.

Tyson

« Reply #499 on: 30 Aug 2018, 12:37 am »
OK, time for more fun!  Here's my latest pickup:

Its an Inspire MB12 single ended pentode amp designed by Dennis Had.

Do you guys know who Dennis Had is?  He was the founder of Cary Audio and the designer of all their gear.  But the company grew too big & he got fed up working at a big company so he quit/retired.  These Inspire amps are basically him just experimenting in his garage with cool ideas that they wouldn’t let him do at Cary.

The coolest things about these amps is that they are built to be able to tube roll like mad. 

For example, the Rectifier can be a type 80, 5y3, 5u4, 5v4, or a 5ar4.

The input tube can be a 6bx7, a 6sl7 or a 6sn7.

And craziest of all, output tubes.  They can be a 6v6, el84, 6L6, EL34, 6AR6WA, 6CA7, KT66, KT77, KT88, KT120, KT150, 6550, 807, 350B,  and a few others that escape me at the moment.

The KT150 gives about 14 watts, the KT88/6550 gives 12 watts, the EL34/6L6/KT66/KT77/6CA7 give about 7 watts, the EL84 gives 2 watts.

So, uhm yeah..... I'm gonna have a BLAST tube rolling!!!  I have a TON of pentode output tubes, a bunch of 6sn7 (and 6sl7) input tubes, and a fair number of rectifiers too.  We'll see how it sounds. 

I'll say this, I dropped in a some vintage GE 6SN7 input tubes, some new production Gold Lion KT77s and a pair of vintage Tung Sol 5U4G rectifiers and it sounds exceptional right out of the gate.  Man, these amps can boogie!
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2018, 05:08 pm by Tyson »