Best sounding albums in your collection . .

Rdk777

Re: Best sounding albums in your collection . .
« Reply #100 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:21 am »
The Tragically Hip - Day and Night
Half Speed Mastering - available at Amazon for a decent price.  Get it before its all gone.  Fantastic recording.

RK

drdarkfish

« Reply #101 on: 9 Oct 2020, 06:47 pm »
Led Zep - I - 45rpm single sided 4 vinyl box set
Santana - Abraxas - MFSL One-step
Beatles - Sgt Peppers - Nimbus supercut

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #102 on: 17 Jun 2021, 03:27 am »
That would be the new Analog Productions UHQR pressing of Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

twitch54

« Reply #103 on: 17 Jun 2021, 12:57 pm »
Thorens 125th Aniv 3 Lp set, the best 'sampler collection' I have ever heard.

Wlsmirh27

« Reply #104 on: 17 Jun 2021, 01:05 pm »
Hi all.  New to forum looking for recommendations and help. New to restoring vintage equipment. have been successful with some SS amps and a few speakers.  Now have the bug to do more. 

Led Zeppelin 4.  PECO DUCK engineer

lazydays

« Reply #105 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:20 am »
Try Jen Warnes' Famous Blue rain Coat for starters
gary

Ears Deluxe

« Reply #106 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:38 pm »
One of the best sounding albums I own (out of 10,000) is John Sebastian's Tarzana Kid. Of course "best sounding" might mean different things to different people. I know for some folks, that means soundstaging primarily, but for me, that term means that instruments sound real and tactile, that voices sound that way, too, and that every instrument and voice is balanced. If a record achieves that, then it goes to the top for me, and Tarzana Kid really does.

Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love is another one that does that for me. And Sopwith Camel's first record is another.

These records all share one thing in common: they are from the late 60s and early 70s. For me, recording styles changed in the late 70s so that instruments and voices sound dead and dry and as a result unrealistic. The Steely Dan records, while certainly very clean and well balanced (and brilliantly written and arranged), don't sound real to me because of this. Then styles changed again in the 80s so that everything was gated and soaked in digital reverb (ouch!). And since then, one or another style of recording has been in the way, as far as I'm concerned. For me, the object should be to transmit the music and purely as possible, but records these days tend to throw the spotlight on the producer or involve so many artifical sounds that the actual music gets lost. But then I'm old--I'm practicing saying, "You kids get off of my lawn!"

forky

Q
« Reply #107 on: 17 Oct 2021, 04:13 pm »
I've purchased so many records over the past few months (about 140 or so - many I have on CD already but some new to me) I haven't even listened to all of them yet but have listened to most of them and have them somewhat organized in order for quality of sound, soundstage and the music itself - and all 3 combined as to my favorites to listen to but weighted more towards sound. Although I have a few great sounding records which I don't listen to because I don't care for the music. Anyway, those at the top of the list are as follows, somewhat in order although are about even for various reasons - some better w/ recording and some better albums (meaning I like all the songs or most of them) and/or the music itself:

Symphonik - Thievery Corporation - I have 4 more TC albums to listen to which will probably be moved to the front but this one is my current favorite: "recorded with Prague’s FILMHarmonic Orchestra; engineering and co-production by Gianmaria Conti". Love it.  :green: :green: :green:

DSOTM - The most recent one available, bought new from Acoustic sounds. Been listening to this since I was 2 yo (born in 1969 and dad had on vinyl and sadly threw away) and although I have some decent systems, I finally bought my End system and WOW. Except a bit too much surface noise so I ordered an earlier version on Discogs which was Harvest Q4 and is a 1973 Australia pressing. Haven't' received yet.

Time Out - one on many a list but for good reason.

Friday Night in San Franciso, IMPEX - this from a rec here on Audiocircle and also...... wow.

Morrison Hotel - Amazing, Waiting for the Sun is  :o

Tea for the Tillerman - original pressing! I bought one of the newer ones and had to return it because of vocal semblance (if that is the correct spelling).

Tosca - Suzuki. All the sounds sound fantastic but my favorite is track 1 which is Suzuki. The stereo is fantastic as is the bass - all of it except I may buy another one because mine has a bit too much surface noise. This is one that I use to "show off my system" although any of these listed are.

Abbey Road - the most recent remaster.

Aqualung - 2014 Steve Wilson remaster. 

Rush - 2112 180g. I need to listen to Moving Pictures with my new cart because I was really disappointed with the recording/mixing but 2112 is fantastic.

AIC unplugged - mentioned in this thread a few times. Sounds much better than Nirvana unplugged although I need to re-listen w/ my new cart.

Days of Future Past , MOFI w/ the London Festival Orchestra - Although it sounds great, I realize it isn't as clean and crisp as some of the others but still sounds great and one of the few "classical" recordings I have. A great mix of classical and rock.

Mad Season - the remix on 180g. I have one of the original pressings and of course the CD when it first came out. I haven't listened to the original yet but this "new" one is one of the favorites.

Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown, MOFI. I need to listen to more because I'm not too fond of a few of the tracks but will probably grow on me. A sentimental favorite my parents used to listen to a lot, along w/ PF, Moody Blues, Beatles, Guess Who, Who and Lynard Skynard) and the sound of the record itself is a 10/10.

Raising Hell / mofi. I also have the original from 1986 (I think that is right) and need to see the differences.

Lots more which are very close to these but these are my tops so far.

headtheory

« Reply #108 on: 2 Sep 2022, 04:23 am »
The new UHQR Kind of Blue 45 sounds pretty good to my ears.  :D

the_nines

« Reply #109 on: 30 Oct 2022, 06:58 pm »
Here's a few:

Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth (4AD, Mobile Fidelity) ***
Sam Cooke - Night Beat (RCA Victor, Analogue Productions, 45rpm)
Willy Nelson - Stardust (Columbia, Classic Records, 45rpm, single-sided, translucent vinyl)
Frank Sinatra - Live at the Sands, with Count Basie Orchestra (Reprise, Mobile Fidelity)
Peter Gabriel - Passion (Real World Records, 45rpm)
Ry Cooder, V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting by the River (Water Lily Acoustics, Analogue Productions, 45rpm) ***
Rickie Lee Jones - It's Like This (Artemis Records, Analogue Productions, 45rpm)
Steely Dan - Aja (ABC Records, Cisco)
Al Di Meola John McLaughlin Paco De Lucia - Friday Night In San Francisco (Columbia, Impex)
Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill (Verve, ORG 45rpm)
Ella Fitzgerald / Louis Armstrong - Porgy & Bess (Verve)
Hans Zimmer / Lisa Gerrard - Gladiator Soundtrack (Decca, ORG, 45rpm)
Janos Starker - Bach / Suites For Unaccompanied Cello Complete (Mercury, Speakers Corner)
Ravel - Bolero, Charles Munch, BSO (RCA Victor)
Fritz Reiner Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade (RCA Victor, Analogue Productions, 45rpm)
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer (Chess, Analogue Productions, 45rpm) ***

*** : Outstanding

Cheers.

Loki57

« Reply #110 on: 30 Oct 2022, 08:21 pm »
George  Michael, Faith

thedudeabides

« Reply #111 on: 26 Dec 2022, 02:47 am »
Jazz at the Pawn Shop

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #112 on: 26 Dec 2022, 05:51 pm »
I have no more a vinyl collection but when I had one in the 1970s the best sound was Prelude and Deodato 2 both recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in analogue tape.

Markvinyl

« Reply #113 on: 19 Jan 2023, 01:54 am »
Laurie Anderson---Mr. Heartbreak--US WB Quiex
David Sylvian---Gone to Earth--UK Virgin
Dire Straits---Debut UK Vertigo
Bruce Cockburn---Stealing Fire--US A&M Promo
Supertramp--Crime of The Century--UK A&M

Cyber One

« Reply #114 on: 15 Feb 2023, 04:09 pm »
Supertramp - Crime of the Century : Speakers corner
Janis Ian - Breaking Silence : QRP 45 RPM
David Crosby - If only I could remember my name : Classic Records 4 disc 45 rpm
Tony Joe White - Home made Ice cream QRP 45 rpm
Jennifer Warnes - Blue Raincoat : German Pressing
Sade - Diamond Life : UK pressing
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat : AM Audiophile Series

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #115 on: 15 Feb 2023, 08:28 pm »
   Not to be a ball buster but everything but compressed rock sounds great.

charles

s.griz16

« Reply #116 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:02 pm »
The best sounding album in my collection is actually only a specific track. I own a copy of Jimi’s “Electric Ladyland” from Quality Record Pressings and the track “Voodoo Chile” is easily the most engaging 18 minutes of audio bliss I’ve heard through my system. Despite the fact that my digital front end is much higher end than my analogue setup, I find myself playing this track on my record player for every new person who walks into my living room because the pressing is just that good. Jimi’s guitar is so raw and emotive and crowd noise in the recording really adds to the ambiance and the feeling of ‘being there’. Please pick up a copy of this record if you have the chance! Your mind may be blown.

Happy listening,
Sam

saab_oteur

« Reply #117 on: 8 Dec 2023, 07:05 pm »

Stone Roses self-titled 2-LP 45rpm, limited-edition gatefold. I would describe the sound of these discs as shimmering, open, uncompressed, & organic. By far, the best format of possibly the best britpop/Madchester record ever made. I feel lucky to have found this brand-new in 1993.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2023, 11:20 pm by saab_oteur »

gene9p

« Reply #118 on: 9 Dec 2023, 05:11 am »
Came across a used mint copy of Simon and Garfunkel's PARSLEY,SAGE,ROSEMARY AND THYME.. sounds incredible

Zuman

« Reply #119 on: 9 Dec 2023, 06:23 am »
That would be the new Analog Productions UHQR pressing of Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

Agreed. Better than the UHQR Coltrane, too.