Colt McCoy- Winningest College QB ever

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Colt McCoy- Winningest College QB ever
« on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:39 am »
I just have to take a moment to brag on my old high school physics student, Colt McCoy, for breaking the NCAA record for wins as a starting QB.  He is a class individual and a great competitor.  I feel lucky to have had such fantastic students in my career as a teacher. 

pbrstreetgang

Re: Colt McCoy- Winningest College QB ever
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2009, 06:02 am »
Hook'em

hdspeakerman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:46 pm »
Maybe he will mention you as an extraordinary positive influence in his Heisman speech!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:13 pm »
Yeah, he wouldn't have amounted to anything if you hadn't taught him about trajectory. That's very important to a passer.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:34 pm »
I do remember tailoring a few questions about trajectories, collision/momentum, etc. around football for Colt and the other football guys in the class.  It helps kids visualize problems if it relates to something in their world. 
I did send him a copy of Football Physics a couple of years ago.  Maybe he'll give credit to it if he wins the Heisman. 

He's just a great kid and all of his old teachers are proud of him.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:45 pm »
I'm sure that is true. I remember being very impressed years ago by an article in the Reader's Digest about a physics teacher who taught the subject pragmatically.
He had a 15 lb. steel ball on the end of a 20 foot cable. He would ask a student about a pendulum and confirm that the student really believed the principles involved by having the student hold the ball under his chin at one end of the room and release it. By standing pat while that mass swings toward your chin on its return, you confirm your belief. A great way to demonstrate your trust in physical law and a lesson never forgotten.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:57 pm »
I'm sure that is true. I remember being very impressed years ago by an article in the Reader's Digest about a physics teacher who taught the subject pragmatically.
He had a 15 lb. steel ball on the end of a 20 foot cable. He would ask a student about a pendulum and confirm that the student really believed the principles involved by having the student hold the ball under his chin at one end of the room and release it. By standing pat while that mass swings toward your chin on its return, you confirm your belief. A great way to demonstrate your trust in physical law and a lesson never forgotten.
We did the same thing with a bowling ball. It's a great demo.

honesthoff

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:46 pm »
How about Jordan Shipley?

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:58 pm »
How about Jordan Shipley?

A great QB usually has a great receiver.  Shipley and McCoy go together like carrots and peas.