Looking to buy used skiing gear...where on the web to look, and a little advice?

maxwalrath

Title is pretty self explanatory.  I'm a little above a beginner and just started feeling comfortable enough to go down most blue trails without too much nervousness...  I feel like I've used different sized skis and not noticed too much of a difference, but that's just because I didn't really know what I was doing.

The main piece of gear I'm looking for is a pair of ski boots... I need something to fit size 15.5 feet.  I've always borrowed skis and poles from friends/family when skiing, but had to rent boots that were 2-3 sizes too small (which makes for a shitty feeling in the feet, let me tell you).  I'd like to own my own skis and poles too, and would appreciate any advice on ski length and pole size (I'm 6'3", 240lbs), but barring a really sweet deal the boots would take first priority.  What web sites do have you guys had luck with buying / selling stuff?  Is there anyone out there with huge feet and an extra pair of boots?

ton1313

Check out your local sport shop, and see if they have any "new" old stock. You can get some great deals that way. I would not personally buy used boots as the padding will eventually pack down to form to the previous owners feet. Nothing worse on the mountain than ill fitting boots, you end up with cold feet, and the outing ends early.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Good fitting boots make skiing so much more enjoyable.  Wait for the end of season or summer sale and get a good new pair.  You want your feet to shape the liner.  I always liked the Technica boots.  Unless you are racing or real aggressive and technical, go for the all mountain boots which are more comfortable than the racing boots. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Then there is E-bay. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/33.5-Salomon-Performa-size-15.5-US-ski-boots-Ship-FREE_W0QQitemZ270357452768QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090313?IMSfp=TL090313134009r16469

I don't know how Salomon boots run.  Go to a local shop and try one on.  The width and volume have to be right.   If Salomon fits you, this seems like a good deal.

BobM

This is the time of year when the ski shops are looking to dump their inventory and begin their patio furniture start up for the summer months. There's lots of chances to pick up deals, especially on demo equipment.

Enjoy,
Bob

JoshK

Yeah, I usually demo the seasons hottest skis at the end of the season and often at the end they will barter a deal with you to keep them.   That way you have tried them and know they still work.

JoshK

Shoulda read closer.   :duh:

My $.02, invest in a good pair of boots, if you plan to take up skiing indefinitely.  Boots will last a very long time and if you get a really good pair, you'll never need to get another in all likelihood.   Get the advices of a saleman who really knows how to pick a good boot for you and target intermediate/advanced even though you are a beginner.  Its not like skis, and a good boot helps more than you think. 

They should be snug but not painfully tight.  They should make you want to lean forward a *tad* to be most comfortable.  Once you have a good pair of boots, you can rent skis, buy skis, demo skis, doesn't matter,  you'll still have a good day skiing. 

I'd also hold off on buying skis until you tried enough different skis and learned enough to start to know what you like.  Unless, you get a screaming deal on a good all-around pair.  Otherwise, you are more than likely to get a pair that isn't quite right and it slows your progress. 

An intermediate/advanced ski is probably the best bet for 90% of skiiers.  I think you learn quicker by having a slightly more advanced ski then your current level, but it can't be a huge leap.  A hyper sensitive and ultra-stiff ski on a beginner spells a bad day.  A too soft ski can be frustrating if you are starting to advance or a bit more aggressive. 

Shaped skis are also a whole lot easier to learn on, but then pretty much all modern skis are shaped.  My dad first started to learn on straight skis as I did and didn't pick it up quickly, then one day on shaped skis and he was doing blues.  (I got my dad to ski).

Used boots require more understanding of what you need in a boot.  Deals can be had, but I recommend getting fitted by a good salesmans or two until you realize what you need and then try on some used boots.   Don't be tempted by a price on a boot that isn't right for you.  Whatever the price, its too expensive if it isn't right!

P.S. I recommend to stick with a boot that has regular strap/buckles in the front of the boot and not some fancy-schmancy rear entry boot.  The heal of the boot needs to be really stiff and the front can flex some.  The other types of boots are more about convenience then good performance.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Ski Bum looks like the store with the most inventory near you.  You can go in and get ideas of what you want.  They have the end of season sale going right now. http://www.theskibum.com/skibum/

This is an interesting place. http://www.baltimoreski.com/ I have see places like this come and go near me.  You can some times get a great deal if you are looking for a middle of the road gear that is about 2 years behind in style and marketing hype (technology).

JoshK

P.S.S.  With a size 15.5 boot, you might not even need skis.   :wink: :icon_lol: